Moparts

Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column

Posted By: moparrulzzz

Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/27/11 11:16 PM

I was just told this column is not a '67 B Body by a potential buyer. Can anyone verify if this is a '67 B Body Power Steering column?

Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 12:02 AM

Did he give you a reason? I need one myself.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 12:11 AM

I believe he's right. '67 was the first year for the collapsable column, a safety addition that would collapse on impact, instead of shoving the column through the drivers chest. On a 67 (or later), I think you'd find the thick part of the column would be shorter, and lead into a collapsable joint that looks like a stamped box at the bottom, just above where it links into the steering box.

I'll try to get a picture of mine. I can say without question, My steering column looks nothing like that ('67 Satellite).
Posted By: DBishop68

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 12:33 AM

Correct 67 unit that has the inner shaft collapsed .
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 12:58 AM

I have a partially dis-assembled 67 B-body column at the shop. I'll take pics tomorrow and post with measurements

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 01:04 AM

Well the guy who was wanting this says it looks like his but the shaft below that collar is 7-8 inches longer. He said his is a original power steering car that he is switching to floor shifted.
If I am reading the replies correct this is a '67 column but is collapsed? Meaning it has possibly been in a collision and the nylon pins are sheared inside?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 01:52 AM

It could be an A-body column. Just swap steering shafts and you'll be fine. The columns are interchangeable.

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 02:43 AM

I know I am being Anal but the outer jacket of this '67 column is larger than my '68. I have no idea if that will interfere with my TTI headers I have sitting here.That would be my luck and they would make contact with the column since it's not a '68..who knows!!
Posted By: 65Frank

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 02:18 PM

I thought '67-69 floor shift columns all interchanged, except the bottom bearing was different in some years.

That one is definitely short for power steering - aside from being collapsed, could it be a manual center?
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 04:30 PM

the column is a 1967 a-body power steering column

since you have rumblefishes busness card, give him a call and maybe he will make things right ???

good luck

tony

Re: Is this a '67 B Body Steering Column - 02/28/11 05:12 PM

We have talked and he agreed to take it back. He still says its a '69 B Body Column!
Alls well that ends well I guess!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums