Moparts

Battery disconect in the trunk

Posted By: DANA60

Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/23/11 11:26 PM

I want to mount a switch outside the back of the car some where. Any sudgestions and or photos? It's for a 71 B Body

What are the track rules on these?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/23/11 11:47 PM

Quote:

I want to mount a switch outside the back of the car some where. Any sudgestions and or photos? It's for a 71 B Body

What are the track rules on these?

Is this a race car or street strip?

I have pics of both mine and GIna's 72 but they are on the PC at home.

Rules state any time a battery is relocated to the trunk a master cut off is required.

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/23/11 11:53 PM

95% street, but I don't want to get into some probs with tech. Also general safety. Does the location mater?

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

Also general safety. Does the location mater?

Of the switch?

Yes it matters. It must be on the rear and calerly labeled how to turn it off.

I'll post the pics when I get home but it won't be till after 8. Sorry

Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 01:38 AM

The location will depend on the car.

Rare or cherry stock and you might want to think about hanging off the bottom of the bumper by bolting it to the bottom of the bumper. See Valiant Effort location at MM Mag.

Others through the rear keyway, bolted via the gone bumpertette slot.

I crazily hole sawed the taillight bezel.A move I regret, mostly because it will confirm some peoples' view of me as a hilly billy

Yes, I regret it, yes that is a cutoff wheel, and no I am not a Hillbilly.

Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 01:56 AM

I run a electric trunk latch and the switch goes where the lock cylinder would go.

Posted By: Boosted

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 02:04 AM

I went through the tail panel...

Attached picture 6492948-81610002(Large).jpg

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 02:33 AM

Ok Here's the pics of our cars.

Gina's car I used the push pull style and went through one of the exsisting holes in the bumper. though I did have to enlarge it slightly so the rod wouldn't bind. Best part is the rod can be taken out and left in the trunk when driven on the street. I did shorten the rod a bit to fit.

Or you could do something like mine if you don't want to run a plate

Posted By: stumpy

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 03:35 AM

As said earlier. It's only necessary when the battery is in the trunk. It also must isolate the charging system because just cutting off the battery won't kill the engine.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 01:15 PM

Quote:

As said earlier. It's only necessary when the battery is in the trunk. It also must isolate the charing system because just cutting off the battery won't kill the engine.

yup, which is easy to do.

the simplest way is to run a long wire from the alternator to the positive lug on the battery, then, you have the "big wire" that goes to the starter motor also feeds the power to the rest of the car.

some don't like that big wire being "hot" all the time, and will hook up a series of relays and solenoids so that a big 0-gauge wire is only hot when cranking, then a smaller 8 or 10-gauge wire powers the ignition system, radio, lights, etc.

however, either way, you still have a decent sized wire running the length of the car, that's hot all the time, so either way you do it, you have the same risk of shorts/fires. in my opinion, simpler is better, fewer connections, fewer parts, etc.

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 02:19 PM

Instead of the Alternator, what if I kill the MSD, won't that shut it down?

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 03:10 PM

Rules say it must be on the hot side of the battery and kill ALL power to the car

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 03:23 PM

Thanks for everything.

Any diagrams on how that wiring works? Alt, battery, switch. If it goes direct from Alt to battery isn't that too high a charge?
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 05:13 PM

Quote:

The location will depend on the car.

Rare or cherry stock and you might want to think about hanging off the bottom of the bumper by bolting it to the bottom of the bumper. See Valiant Effort location at MM Mag.

Others through the rear keyway, bolted via the gone bumpertette slot.

I crazily hole sawed the taillight bezel.A move I regret, mostly because it will confirm some peoples' view of me as a hilly billy

Yes, I regret it, yes that is a cutoff wheel, and no I am not a Hillbilly.

I actually think that going through the taillight is a good idea depending on the car and if you have a spare lense and bezel. I think it looks cool on some cars. I would consider it on mine, I thing the recessed lights of a GTX,Roadrunner or Satellite are well suited for a cut off switch.

Posted By: Todd

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 06:44 PM

Quote:

As said earlier. It's only necessary when the battery is in the trunk. It also must isolate the charging system because just cutting off the battery won't kill the engine.

Here is mine with a solonoid disconect for the one wire alternator.

Attached picture 6494000-DSC00787(Large).JPG

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 08:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for everything.

Any diagrams on how that wiring works? Alt, battery, switch. If it goes direct from Alt to battery isn't that too high a charge?

nope.

as long as your battery voltage equals the voltage seen at the voltage regulator AND voltage at the alternator, then you're fine. chances are, you'll even lose a half volt or so with that long run from the alternator to the battery, and you'll be fine.

That's how I have my truck wired. one wire from switch to the starter, which then from the starter, jumps up to feed the entire electrical system. the positive charge wire off the alternator goes straight back and is on the battery side of the switch, so that when I kill the switch, all positive charge is isolated from the truck, and it shuts down.

for awhile, I thought I was getting voltage drop and causing my alternator to run at full blast, and kicking out 16.5 volts at rpms. then I got the voltmeter out, and with key on, engine off, I had 12 volts everywhere--battery, voltage regulator, alternator, starter, etc. with the engine running, I had 14.5 volts everywhere...the autometer volt meter was just reading incorrectly.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/24/11 10:38 PM

ford solenoid and a continuous duty relay on alt line. Nothing hot on the car once the master is thrown outside a 1.5' cube if you consolidate everything.

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/25/11 12:05 AM

Thanks all, once again Moparts is the place to be!

Attached picture 6494490-IMG_2836_1_1_1.JPG

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/25/11 12:08 AM

One last thing (maybe). If I am running the stock Chry. alt. and not the single pole (GM type), does that change anything?

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/25/11 12:13 AM

Quote:

One last thing (maybe). If I am running the stock Chry. alt. and not the single pole (GM type), does that change anything?

Nope. all alternators have 1 "charge" line that comes off the back. the 2 field/voltage sensor wires on the chrysler alternator can remain as-is. right now your alternator, if wired stock, charges a large wire...I think the factory size is an 8 ga wire? that goes through the firewall, through the amp gauge, back through the firewall, and then to the starter relay, which then connects to the battery. you would simply take that wire, and instead of all that...run it straight back to the battery side of the kill switch. then put a voltmeter gauge in the dash in place of the amp gauge.

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/25/11 12:22 AM

But I could also run it back to the front to use the alt meter?

Re: Battery disconect in the trunk - 02/25/11 12:29 AM

Quote:

But I could also run it back to the front to use the alt meter?

Don't. it's a fire hazard. even if left wired up completely stock, it's a fire hazard. if your electrical system gets discharged, or you're running everything on the car at once, you could have up to 65 amps running through that wire, through the firewall, to the dash, through the old and crusty gauge...I wouldn't do it.

If you're adding a kill switch, you're obviously not too concerned with stock appearance, you could either leave the amp gauge in there to keep all the stock gauges together, or you could try to swap in a voltmeter in place of it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums