Moparts

Fixing bent steering wheel?

Posted By: bigsbigelow

Fixing bent steering wheel? - 02/22/11 06:13 PM

Does any one know of any place that fixes bent steering wheels? If not, how did you do it? I was thinking of making a clam shell device of the same diameter as the wheel and torquing it around the wheel to get it round. Then (leaving the clam shell on) just pounding it against a flat surface to get it square.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Fixing bent steering wheel? - 02/22/11 08:19 PM

I don't know if I would trust a 'bent' steering wheel. The metal has already been stressed, and may 'break'
on impact, rather then bend once fixed. Half of a steering wheel stuck in your sternum would not be a happy picture.
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Fixing bent steering wheel? - 02/22/11 08:42 PM

Good point. You have me thinking.
Posted By: ehbody

Re: Fixing bent steering wheel? - 02/22/11 09:40 PM

Quote:

I don't know if I would trust a 'bent' steering wheel. The metal has already been stressed, and may 'break'
on impact, rather then bend once fixed. Half of a steering wheel stuck in your sternum would not be a happy picture.

+1
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Fixing bent steering wheel? - 02/22/11 10:13 PM

FWIW, back in the mid-70s my Dad cut a 62 Fury in pieces so he could haul it off in a stepside pickup.

I remember him swinging repeatedly with a sledgehammer on the steering wheel -- and it took some serious hits to flatten it into the dash. (we were poor and hillbilly and Dad didn't have special tools like a steering wheel remover)

Based on the 'clamshell tool' originally described:
A steering wheel close enough that you could consider massaging back into shape isn't going to become an eggshell because of the massaging.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Fixing bent steering wheel? - 02/23/11 03:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

+1

+2

Not just for yourself, but if the car/wheel ever gets passed on to someone else.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Fixing bent steering wheel? - 02/23/11 10:52 PM

Just straighten it and run it, its not going to break with a little bend, its not that brittle. Tim
© 2024 Moparts Forums