Moparts

what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p

Posted By: mcmopars

what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 09:17 PM

i dont use the heater core.the fitting on the intake isnt a problem as it is threaded and a bolt will go in there.what will fit on the water pump and look good? it is a nipple,im not sure if a cap with a hose clamp will work,it wont look real clean either.what have you used that looks good?
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 09:22 PM

Not very useful since I don't remember the size. But I found a tap that required just a little larger hole than the I.D of the nipple. Drilled and tapped it for a plug, never had any issues with it.

Posted By: dOc …

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 09:33 PM

There is a steel plug you can use OR a rubber cap.

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

There is a steel plug you can use OR a rubber cap.

i didnt know if a rubber cap would hold up under pressure.tell me about steel plug?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 10:09 PM

heater block off caps from napa work just fine and are cheap

just tap it with a npt pipe thred and use a pipe plug

either works just fine,I use the rubber caps on all of mine,but i do change them about every 3-4 yrs

i have only had one fail on a wot pass but it was close to 12 yrs old,I change them out every so often now

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 10:16 PM

ok thanks,ill try the rubber caps and keep an eye on them
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

i dont use the heater core.the fitting on the intake isnt a problem as it is threaded and a bolt will go in there.

No, this will be a problem , the intake is tapped to NATIONAL PIPE THREAD, NPT , so you aren't going to put a traditional BOLT in it .
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 10:45 PM

you'll destroy the threads on the housing! it's better to visit the plumbing section of Home Depot.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 10:46 PM

I assume this is a SB? You can buy water pumps with a threaded fitting rather than the cast nipple. Then you use a pipe plug and that gives you a very secure block off.

If you stay with the water pump housing with the cast in nipple then I'd recommend a bypass hose rather than rubber cap. Just put the fitting back into the intake manifold and run a short loop of heater hose.

There are lots of ways to do this, just depends on how much "hillbilly" blood you have in you!
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 10:51 PM

remove niples and fit:

or

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 10:54 PM

Quote:

I assume this is a SB? You can buy water pumps with a threaded fitting rather than the cast nipple. Then you use a pipe plug and that gives you a very secure block off.

If you stay with the water pump housing with the cast in nipple then I'd recommend a bypass hose rather than rubber cap. Just put the fitting back into the intake manifold and run a short loop of heater hose.

There are lots of ways to do this, just depends on how much "hillbilly" blood you have in you!

i got the loop now but it looks kinda tacky
Posted By: roe

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 11:36 PM

i just looped mine with a short piece of hose. works for me
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/21/11 11:57 PM

Quote:

...just depends on how much "hillbilly" blood you have in you!

Ouch, and I Bought the Book.

I used this method till I upgraded to an aluminum pump and I up'd for the brass plugs. If unsure about size take the pump with you to the Napa etc.

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 01:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...just depends on how much "hillbilly" blood you have in you!

Ouch, and I Bought the Book.

I used this method till I upgraded to an aluminum pump and I up'd for the brass plugs. If unsure about size take the pump with you to the Napa etc.

One thing I've learned on Moparts over the years is that some people care about how stuff looks and others don't. I used to wonder about some of the advice that got handed out until I finally realized that some people are perfectly happy using a screwdriver to open the trunk. So these days I try to give a range of answers and let people pick the one that fits their budget and/or their ability.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 01:33 AM

I've been using the rubber cap/clamp deal, but just the other day my buddy and I wear thinking of tapping for a plug. I have taps for up to 1/2" NPT.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 02:29 AM

The looped hose works but looks bad, the caps/clamps look less bad & work & last along time. Best is see if the nipples will come out easily w a pipe wrench or vice grips & if not heat the base threads w a small tip on the hot wrench let some candle wax (bees wax is reportedly the best) wick in then take em out & add a common hardware store pipe plug (they are NPT just like the nipples you are taking out, no drilling/retapping needed) either an internal hex or the external square (what you see in the above pic) w white teflon pipe dope or tape on the threads (w tape wrap it CW looking at the threaded end of the plug)
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 03:15 AM

Might be missing something here cos i can't remember .................blocking those heater hose outlets won't allow any water to flow through block & heads until thermostat opens , this is the reason for the 'loop' , fine to plug em off if you don't run a thermostat (or drill stat)........block temps will be a lot higher than temps @ water pump neck , with no water flowing through block & heads heads 'hot spots' will cause block scaling & worse still can crack when thermostat opens.

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 03:17 AM

On a small block the nipple doesn't always come out. Most small block water pumps have a cast nipple. Big blocks are screw in. I believe the OP has a small block although it doesn't appear that he ever stated that.

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 03:22 AM

Yeah Andy I missed that, I saw the pic & went w that

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 12:20 PM

yea it is a small block
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 12:57 PM

Quote:

Might be missing something here cos i can't remember .................blocking those heater hose outlets won't allow any water to flow through block & heads until thermostat opens , this is the reason for the 'loop' , fine to plug em off if you don't run a thermostat (or drill stat)........block temps will be a lot higher than temps @ water pump neck , with no water flowing through block & heads heads 'hot spots' will cause block scaling & worse still can crack when thermostat opens.

I don't know if that's true or not, but where does the water flow? it's not going through the radiator, so even then, when the thermostat opens, you'll still get a rush of cold water from the radiator flowing into the block and heads.

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 12:59 PM

for those integral nipples the black neoprene caps from the "help" section at your parts house & a hose clamp is the only option & last a long time. A bit of gasket cement & recheck tightness once in a great while & you're good
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 03:02 PM

Quote:

, you'll still get a rush of cold water from the radiator flowing into the block and heads.

Correct , water won't flow until stat opens when plugging outlets , block temps can reach well over 250 degrees , fitting the 'loop' insures water gets circulated round block & heads when stat is closed , this is the reason for some of these cracked blocks.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 03:14 PM

Quote:

On a small block the nipple doesn't always come out. Most small block water pumps have a cast nipple.

interesting... didn't know that!

then:

some end caps like this have an internal... mmm dunno how it call it... stud maybe ? tit ? made on same rubber what fits inside the pipe. Renaults use to use these
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: what do you use to block off heater hose fitting on w.p - 02/22/11 03:50 PM

on a sb you can block the intake nipple and wp outlet nipple for the heater core with no ill effects

the bigger by-pass hose from wp to intake flows water while the t-stat is closed,so no cold water hitting hot spots,it warms up evenly

it also helps keep the wp from cavitating while the stat is closed

some do block it,and running with no stat,it would be fine to block both

© 2024 Moparts Forums