Moparts

long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep.

Posted By: drumcat

long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 05:41 PM

I am about to put to use a 440 short-block,It has sat on a stand in my storage for seven years(never ran)what do i do to prep? check torque settings? special oiling procedure? Will be switching the cam And timing chain...appreciate any input.

Attached picture 6484292-img012.jpg
Posted By: jbc426

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 05:48 PM

How do the cylinder bores look? Have they rusted at all? I'd say put some oil on the bores/rings and turn it over by hand a few times, build it, pre-oil it and fire it up.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 05:53 PM

covered or uncovered? As said what do the bores look like? rod/main bolt torque is unchanged. Preoil w the hex rod like normal

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 05:55 PM

Bores look nice, no rust..."Pre-oil and fire it up" sound good to me,
damn good!...thank you.

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 06:08 PM

OT, If solids I adj them to cold specs & stop on 10BTDC #1 compression & undo the rocker shafts/p rods etc & lube the lobes/lif bottoms & reinstall the valvetrain. the clearances wont ch more than a C hair from this on/off & w all the cam probs lately no such thing as overkill that & I take no chances/make no assumptions anymore and I check that each lifter in a cleaned & lightly lubed bore w WD40 will fall back onto it's lobe w a resounding thunk from it's own weight when you lift it up w your finger off the lobe and let loose of it. An EXCELLENT 5 minute read on ring breakin when you get to that point. "break in secrets" at www.mototuneusa.com

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 06:32 PM

Thanks Robert..Since the cam and lifters are coming from the previous block(earlier post)I will disassemble and clean(lifters)....will follow your advice on install break in...
P.S Nice link, i bookmarked it...even better that i
have an already broke-in cam,if that even matters.

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 07:26 PM

yes even better as you dont have to sweat being under 2500 rpm, you can stomp it repeatedly from idle to as high as you want to go on the road (best) or your driveway to load them as many times/days as needed till you feel you'd got enough breakin time
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 07:59 PM

Prime the system with your drill and turn the crank over a few times to get the juices flowing. A little bit of lube on the cylinder walls first so your rings aren't dragging around dry.

Re: long sitting fresh 440 shortblock prep. - 02/19/11 11:04 PM

Thanks Daytona Turbo,sounds good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums