Moparts

aluminum verses standard flywheel

Posted By: rhad

aluminum verses standard flywheel - 02/16/11 05:13 AM

will aluminum work ok for cruising or is it best just for high rpm engines,what are the pros and cons?
Posted By: formula_s

Re: aluminum verses standard flywheel - 02/16/11 05:27 AM

A car with an aluminum flywheel will stall easier at lower RPM.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: aluminum verses standard flywheel - 02/17/11 01:13 AM

Quote:

will aluminum work ok for cruising or is it best just for high rpm engines,what are the pros and cons?

What engine/body style?
I did this conversion last winter. I picked up .6 at the track, but I did some other mods along with the aluminum flywheel. What I noticed after the install is how fast the engine rev's. Real snappy. I noticed NO difference in driving on the street, but my engine makes good torque and horsepower. If you have a chance to get an aluminum wheel, I'd do it. If it doesn't work, you can always resale it.
Posted By: Keith BlackĀ®

Re: aluminum verses standard flywheel - 02/17/11 03:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What engine/body style?
I did this conversion last winter. I picked up .6 at the track, but I did some other mods along with the aluminum flywheel. What I noticed after the install is how fast the engine rev's. Real snappy. I noticed NO difference in driving on the street, but my engine makes good torque and horsepower. If you have a chance to get an aluminum wheel, I'd do it. If it doesn't work, you can always resale it.

Some manufacturers say if you're running a dual disk setup, often the weight of the clutch assembly makes up for weight savings in the flywheel.. i.e. net~net no difference.
Interesting to hear about improvements in throttle response tho, cool.
Posted By: dezduster

Re: aluminum verses standard flywheel - 02/17/11 05:22 AM

I have one in my duster,422 ci small block. Is super fun to drive and yes throttle response seems instantaneous.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: aluminum verses standard flywheel - 02/17/11 07:53 AM

Interesting to note, I found a website that listed weights of the clutches for McLeod and their twin disc RSX clutch was 30 lbs while their somewhat comparable single 10.5 clutch set was 32.
The difference you'll see with an aluminum flywheel is the engine will accelerate faster (even under load), but will require more feathering of the clutch to take off from a dead stop. Also, if you're having issues bogging off the line in a drag car, going to aluminum will make it worse. Not enough stored energy to get the car moving.
Typically see aluminum in road race cars where the engine is required to accelerate and decelerate quickly.
Posted By: rabid scott

Re: aluminum verses standard flywheel - 02/17/11 08:25 AM

I LOVE the aluminum flywheel in my Challenger!! If I had the option I'd totally would do it again!!

Stock 440 Magnum with headers and intake/carb, OD A-833 and a 3.23 LSD.

Best of 13.9 @ 102 with this combo on crappy street tires.

Woooooo!!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums