Moparts

Lucas oil additive?????

Posted By: abc440

Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 03:32 AM

Wondering what you guys think of Lucas oil additive in mopars? I have a 440 with 10,000 miles on it after rebuild. Getin ready to change oil. Your ideas.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 03:55 AM

I've used it as a thickener in a tired flathead six with low oil pressure... at least until it was rebuilt. Now I don't use it. I understand from several tests posted here that it lacks anti-foam additives and can contribute to foaming and lube problems on high speed engines.

An engine with 10k shouldn't need the thickner and may get hurt by foaming... I'd use a good quality oil (with zinc or plus zinc for flat tappet) and no more.
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 04:08 AM

Are you talking about the oil stabilizer or the zinc additive? I have used both, honestly I can't tell any difference as my motors are new, but I haven't blown any of them up yet so that's a good sign. I only use the zinc additive now anyway, either from Lucas or Comp Cams, whichever I can get easiest.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 04:26 AM

It's great for an old worn out engine but not ncessary in any thing good. It's basically a bandage to make an old engine go a few miles more.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 04:56 AM

Quote:

... I understand from several tests posted here that it lacks anti-foam additives and can contribute to foaming and lube problems on high speed engines....

To me that huge lack of quality and performance questions the whole product line.
Posted By: MY340

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 07:03 AM

I used it with regular gear oil in a 100,xxx mile 4spd tranny to quiet it down and it worked great. Plus it slowed any leaks you would expect from a 38 yr old tranny that hadn't ever been rebuilt.

I think I would use it on a 75,xxx mile plus engine but not a newer engine.
Posted By: Von

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 07:07 AM

I saw an analysis of the Lucas oil stabilizer that said it was almost 100 percent petroleum base stock, no additives in any significant amount. In other words a waste of money.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 02:28 PM

After wiping out three cams over the years, I started using their zinc additive along with diesel SF rated oil in my new engine. So far so good.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 02:49 PM

I am not going to say anything for or against the Lucas oil additive. I will just state the following facts. You make up your own mind.
I worked for a company that has the second largest private fleet of Class 8 trucks in the country, second only to Walmart.
Manufacturers are always using our fleet as a test bed. Standard Operating Procedure when changing the oil on each tractor is to send the oil out to a lab for analysis. After 1 year analyzing the oil when Lucas was used, the company made Lucas standard as part of the Preventive Maintenance Program.
I had a car with a SBC LS-3 engine. After adding Lucas, the normal operating temperature dropped 5°.

That is all....
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 03:25 PM

Commando,
need more info.
Did the fleet use the Lucas additive, or just Lucal oil?

As it happens I was at a local garage just now where there a Lucas oil demo-display with 4 gears on each side on the counter.
If you spin the gears fast enough you will notice the Lucas-side will hold airbubbles in the oil much longer than the regular oil on the leftside. Not really desirable in a high rpm performance motor I would think.
The Lucas-side also has noticable more drag while turning the gears.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/16/11 11:30 PM

There was a thread a couple weeks ago in the Race section about Lucas additive in a dyno pull on a new motor. They made a couple pulls and the oil pressure started bouncing around. They pulled the plug and foam drained out of the pan. They replaced it with straight Brad Penn oil and the foaming went away.

Use good oil to start with and leave the additives for the suckers with too much money.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/17/11 07:28 AM

Quote:

There was a thread a couple weeks ago in the Race section about Lucas additive in a dyno pull on a new motor. They made a couple pulls and the oil pressure started bouncing around. They pulled the plug and foam drained out of the pan. They replaced it with straight Brad Penn oil and the foaming went away.

Lucas is pour oil thickner. Like adding 40wt gear oil. No extreme pressure lubricant or acid reducing properties.

Quote:

Use good oil to start with and leave the additives for the suckers with too much money.

Motor oils are a blend. They all have additives like the zinc they took out of the Motor oil. And all in different proportions.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/17/11 11:21 AM

I've used it on an old tired SB Ford that was oil fouling plugs. I was amazed, it cleaned the plugs up nice. I've also seen the tests where it foams up. In the end, I think I would use it as a last resort for an engine that has little left to lose. On a good engine I would just use a good quality oil.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/17/11 03:28 PM

Quote:

Commando,
need more info.
Did the fleet use the Lucas additive, or just Lucal oil?

Just the additive. The oil was Rotella.
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/17/11 04:32 PM

a guy i work with swears by it... LoL if you have to use it then you have problems.. its an oil thickener just a band aid.. it may have some benifits.. but try thicker oil first.. 10-40, or 20w50 or a straight weight oil 30,or 40w..

if you have leaks , dont expect this stuff to stop them.. if your lower end is loose and you have oil psi issues.. then a thicker oil may keep the oil psi up for a while..
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/17/11 05:53 PM

Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and do a search on the additive.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/17/11 06:02 PM

Quote:

I've used it on an old tired SB Ford that was oil fouling plugs. I was amazed, it cleaned the plugs up nice. I've also seen the tests where it foams up. In the end, I think I would use it as a last resort for an engine that has little left to lose. On a good engine I would just use a good quality oil.

Hey Bob.....
Hows the 440 running since you cured the oil smoke problem? I remember that you had the intake off and that you replaced the valley pan and gaskets. Hope that everythings running tip top.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Lucas oil additive????? - 02/17/11 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Bob.....
Hows the 440 running since you cured the oil smoke problem? I remember that you had the intake off and that you replaced the valley pan and gaskets. Hope that everythings running tip top.

Hi, thanks for asking. I only drove it 100 miles or so after I fixed it but it went well...then had to park it because winter crept in. I've been putting in a new interior for the last month or so. Hoping to have it done within the next few weeks Hopefully the snow will be over by the end of March and I can get it back on the road again.

© 2024 Moparts Forums