Moparts

RWD V8 Intrepid?

Posted By: HotRodDave

RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 04:58 PM

I just might get a real cheap 98 intrepid and replaceing the stock engine looks like a pointless endevour so I got to wondering if a SB will fit in there with either a 904 or A-500. I was building a 414 stroker 340 but sold the cuda and can not decide what to do with the motor Has any one done it? What rear end would fit the easiest? What ex manifolds or headers? What oil pan? Are there any conversion mounts available or get someone to fab some for me? Should I be asking this in the race section?
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 05:00 PM

There is a chevy powered one that shoes up at car craft here in minnesota
Posted By: viperakron

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 05:13 PM

Lou Mancini did a dual engine one back in the 90s. Stock engine up front and grafted a front subframe in the back to run the other engine. It was a cool sleeper.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 07:07 PM

Those are both REALLY helpfull tips for a first time fab guy

Do you know if the chevy guy had to cut up the trans tunnel? How did he fit the rear end?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 07:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwKBLiKOcnk&feature=related
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 08:00 PM

I'd say the biggest issue may be the front k-frame. I know for the 80's fwd mopars, moparts user dirt sells a conversion front sub-frame to drop in a SB and shows how to do the rest. exlinecustomauto.com

If the interepid front k-frame can fit a SB, the rest would just be fabbing your engine and trans mounts, adding a rear diff and trans/driveshaft tunnel mods if needed. May have to relocate gas tank. It would be a bunch of work but not cost all that much if you can do the fabbing yourself.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 08:11 PM

How about a small block (or modern hemi) with a Covette transaxle in the rear. Then you don't need as much tunnel clearence. Add some lambo doors and you come close to the 1986 Portofino Chysler/Lamborghini concept car.

Attached picture 6473604-portofino01.jpg
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 09:48 PM

This conversion has my interest..
At our shop,a customer abandoned a 2000 300M after towing it in and we tore it down.
The water pump failed in the 3.5,took the timing belt with it and grenaded the motor.
Perfect candidate.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/13/11 10:07 PM

Quote:

This conversion has my interest..
At our shop,a customer abandoned a 2000 300M after towing it in and we tore it down.
The water pump failed in the 3.5,took the timing belt with it and grenaded the motor.
Perfect candidate.

At what mileage did that happen to the water pump?

The LH structure is very stiff, so that is good. But get someone to measure the engine heights for you. I'm guessing the LA series V8's are too tall, that the valve covers would be above the low hood line. And that you'd need to graft an A body trans tunnel (and change the gas tank as said).
Posted By: patrick

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 01:38 PM

Quote:

I just might get a real cheap 98 intrepid and replaceing the stock engine looks like a pointless endevour so I got to wondering if a SB will fit in there with either a 904 or A-500. I was building a 414 stroker 340 but sold the cuda and can not decide what to do with the motor Has any one done it? What rear end would fit the easiest? What ex manifolds or headers? What oil pan? Are there any conversion mounts available or get someone to fab some for me? Should I be asking this in the race section?

nothing to offer beyond, I LOVE the styling of the 1st gen LHS, and have long considered a very similar project. I would think an A500/518 would fit just fine. for a rear, I was thinking a 90's thunderbird IRS, or maybe even a ford explorer IRS...
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 05:06 PM

From what I recall, these were built to be a universal platform, including a RWD option. How much fab you might need to make this work though I can't say.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 05:16 PM

Quote:

From what I recall, these were built to be a universal platform, including a RWD option. How much fab you might need to make this work though I can't say.

what he said. Cut Weld Bolt up and drive.....

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 05:18 PM

here... ask this guy how he did it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/2900362887/

Attached picture 6475309-2900362887_38e4dda5e2.jpg

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 05:19 PM

nutter

Attached picture 6475310-2900362901_d62e3a511c.jpg
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 07:21 PM

My .02:
Visit a JY and get some pics of one with the engine already out. Maybe take a few oilpans with you for reference?

Where is the steering rack located? If it's high-mounted on the firewall like some FWD cars it'll probably be in the way, and I think trying to modify the spindles for a front-mount rack would be pretty dicey.

Teh cab-forward design will put the distributor under the windshield, too.
Posted By: feets

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 07:42 PM

The example above has the engine mounted forward of the steering rack. It is visible in the engine picture. It looks like he removed the upper radiator support and pushed the radiator forward. I would definitely want that upper tie bar to be installed to keep the front structure rigid.

The cars have an independant rear suspension with enough room for a T-bird style 8.8" IRS. I bet the width is pretty close too.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 07:51 PM

Yep,the rack is barely visible in that pic.

For a T-bird to have an 8.8" it has to be a 4.6 V8 car, the V6 cars got the 7.5" IRS. Lincoln Mark 8 got 8.8" also.

I saw some good 8.8 IRS info recently on a Merkur forum.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: RWD V8 Intrepid? - 02/14/11 11:51 PM

Quote:

The example above has the engine mounted forward of the steering rack. It is visible in the engine picture. It looks like he removed the upper radiator support and pushed the radiator forward. I would definitely want that upper tie bar to be installed to keep the front structure rigid.

Yes, Looks like most of the engine weight is in front of the front wheel spindles. I'd imagine that makes the car really light in the rear and makes for some pretty dicey handling. I don't think I'd want to drive that car fast...
© 2024 Moparts Forums