Moparts

70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body

Posted By: 67plymouthman

70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/13/11 03:27 PM

I have the opportunity to buy a rebuilt 70 k-frame with: disk brakes,new bushing kit installed, with a sway bar from a friend off his 70 Roadrunner that he wants a magnum front end. Will it fit into my 63 Polara??? I have asked 3 local "experts" and have recieved 3 different answers... Has anyone done it? Someone said the motor sits differently on the older k-frames.
Thanks
Posted By: therocks

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/13/11 03:58 PM

It fits.It does set the motor back so you need to modify the trans mount and the drive shaft.The 70 rotors are pricey to replace .Rocky

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/13/11 04:10 PM

Thanks Rocky- I am also going to use some fenderwell headers. Will the motor be back to far? I am not worried about the driveshaft since I need to make one and I am not using a push button tranny.
Posted By: OldHippie

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/13/11 06:28 PM

If memory serves correctly the engine set-back will be roughly 1.5 inches with the late K in the earlier car. This was a sneaky Pete thing that stock and super stock racers did for years before sanctioning bodies got wise. Check with your Header manufacturer to see if the tubes are built with this modification in mind. It could be that fender well tubes for a '66-up car are what you will need........
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/13/11 09:20 PM

I don't have any info on the fit in your car, but please do your friend a favor and have him research the magnum force suspension before he converts over. I did not find the old posts on this subject in a quick search, but I think is was brought up before and determined the magnum force suspension system was the worst thing to do to a car.

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/14/11 12:21 AM

That makes sense- that it would help weight distribution.
Thanks
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/14/11 01:28 AM

Unless you already have the fenderwell headers, just buy regular headers for a 70 Roadrunner.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/14/11 01:57 AM

Haven't personally done it but researched it before I put a stock V-8 K in my '63 330.

I decided it wasn't worth the hassle for a street driven car.

Moves back approximately 1 5/8".

If you plan on using a crossram, firewall will need to be beat on or cut to provide room.

Rear transmission mount will need to be re-worked whereas you can get a later syle transmission to bolt up if you use the original style k with a Schumacher conversion mount.
Posted By: demon

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/14/11 04:28 AM

I know a guy who put a 69 k frame in a 64. It sets the engine back a bit. There are a few considerations:
Good:
better weight distibution
common 66-72 oil pans all fit
common 66-72 headers all fit
more clearance for fan clutch
common 66-72 B or C body engine mounts
better thru bolt idler arm

Bad:
kickdown linkage interferes with heater hoses at firewall
trans mount needs some modifying.
Manual trans cars need clutch linkage reworked
driveshaft needs shortening
Max Wedge manifolds now interfere with firewall
stick B engine ex manifolds might not clear.

I guess you should take everything into consideration and see if it will benefit your situation
Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/15/11 03:54 PM

I have done it on quite a few 63-65 B-bodies....moving the entire engine&trans inch and a half rearward changes the weight transfer,with SS springs&a snubber.....the launch is awesome!the best shocks you can buy are a must....when you launch and the front end comes up and does that little shimmy dance when you shift....it settles down and hauls the mail!yes you will need to modify the trans mount, i made a simple flat plate extension that bolted in....with an automatic trans i used a reverse manual valve body and elimanated the kickdown linkage.

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/16/11 01:46 AM

Whats the part # for SS spring?
Thanks
Posted By: Dads426

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/16/11 02:01 AM

I did the conversion on a 64 Plymouth. Stock mounts worked and headers from a 66-up B-body fit real well. Found a driveshaft at the junkyard that fit. Check Mancini's site for the SS spring part number as you need new front perches. Trans mount was modified to move the box back 1-1/2" and used the cheaper 68 auto mount.

Attached picture 6478049-CrossMember1.jpg
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/16/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

I did the conversion on a 64 Plymouth. Stock mounts worked and headers from a 66-up B-body fit real well. Found a driveshaft at the junkyard that fit. Check Mancini's site for the SS spring part number as you need new front perches. Trans mount was modified to move the box back 1-1/2" and used the cheaper 68 auto mount.

yeah get w/ Kevin and his dad.... they know their junk.

Re: 70 K-Frame into 63 B-Body - 02/16/11 03:25 AM

Thanks for the great info. My fenderwell headers are for a 63, does anyone know if the will work? I probably need to mock it up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums