Moparts

trans vent

Posted By: rbstroker

trans vent - 02/11/11 10:48 PM

When using a manual reverse valve body, one of the mods recommended is to relocate the breather to the rear of the trans. Anybody done this? Did you use a rear end type breather or tap for a fitting and run steel tubing or hose to a catch can up front?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: trans vent - 02/11/11 11:55 PM

The only time relocating the vent is necessary is when using a trans brake AND the front drum is drilled for faster release of the brake.

It is not needed if the front drum is not drilled.

I ran a RMVB for years without the vent relocated.

That said, When I did finally go to a brake and drilled drum I first started with a rear axle type vent and had fluid coming out. I now have a -6 line going to a catch can on the firewall.

Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: trans vent - 02/12/11 06:28 AM

hi
the rear vent may be nesasary if you have a fast car and a good breaking system , as slowing the car with a hard breaking/deceleration rate can cause fluid to be forced out front vent and could wind up under your tires at high speed ! not good !

use a vent tube into a catch can high up as posiable .

if you are running faster than 10.98 ,or using a parishout i would look into it !

Re: trans vent - 02/14/11 02:33 AM

What did you use as your catch can?

Quote:

The only time relocating the vent is necessary is when using a trans brake AND the front drum is drilled for faster release of the brake.

It is not needed if the front drum is not drilled.

I ran a RMVB for years without the vent relocated.

That said, When I did finally go to a brake and drilled drum I first started with a rear axle type vent and had fluid coming out. I now have a -6 line going to a catch can on the firewall.

Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: trans vent - 02/14/11 04:38 AM

I ordered a Jr dragster breather/catch can for my youngest daughters car and it came with out the holes to plumb the breather lines in the side.

Anyone else would have sent it back for one that was finished but it worked great for me.

I did enlarge the hole in the bottom for the size pipe adapter I had in hand.

Re: trans vent - 02/14/11 10:47 AM

Outstanding. Thank you.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: trans vent - 02/14/11 10:48 AM

I bought a vent kit from Summit, I think it was TCI brand. Anyhow, all it was is a push-to-connect fitting with some plastic line to route above the transmission.
© 2024 Moparts Forums