Moparts

Engine idle knock problem

Posted By: urdustd

Engine idle knock problem - 02/08/11 09:52 PM

I’ve got problem with the 360 in my Duster. The engine just doesn’t want to idle without knocking. Not a miss, but what sounds similar to dieseling, rapid popping sounds. Above 2000 rpm it completely goes away and runs beautifully. This all started after having the car down for a few months due to pulling the engine out, changing steering box, headers and torque converter. I’ve swapped ignition control boxes, cap, plug wires, plugs. I’ve varied timing from 0 – 15 degrees BTDC. I pulled the carb (Edelbrock 750) and cleaned it to make sure all the air bleeds and fuel passages are clean. I also readjusted the reluctor gap to 0.008” in the MP distributor. Things I plan on checking are the coil and pickup coil resistance. Initially I thought it was distributor rotor phasing, but that appears fine looking at the marking on the lugs in the cap. Slight marking from center back to the leading edge of the lug. Does anybody have any ideas? This is driving me nuts and I’m probably overlooking the obvious.
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Engine idle knock problem - 02/08/11 10:37 PM

Is this an auto?.........have you checked convertor bolts.

Re: Engine idle knock problem - 02/09/11 02:25 PM

Yes, it's an auto.

Something I never thought about, but sure sounds like a good idea.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: Engine idle knock problem - 02/09/11 08:19 PM

Hi Jim, long time.
I agree on check converter bolts, also check to make sure headers aren't hitting on anything. All other nuts and bolts get fully tightened during assembly??
It's amazing what we forget to do as we get older, and more distracted.

Re: Engine idle knock problem - 02/10/11 12:14 AM

Chris, who are you calling OLD?

I'll need to check the converter bolts Friday(my day off)as well as the headers for interference with torsion bars and the passenger side inner fender. I have lots of room around the steering box with the new Doug's Headers.

Pretty sure I got everything tight, but who knows for sure as I am getting older! Right Chris?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Engine idle knock problem - 02/10/11 01:00 AM

I suggest you change the pickup in the MP distrubuter. I have had problems with 3 different MP dist until I changed the pickups. My
Posted By: 3twos

Re: Engine idle knock problem - 02/10/11 03:24 AM

It may be the dry air in your part of the country has caused some type of problem. Or it could be some other problem. You should investigate further.....LOL.... I agree that the converter bolts should be looked at. Clean the bolts with thinner and use some blue soft set loctite.
How are things going these days?

Re: Engine idle knock problem - 02/10/11 05:39 AM

Challenger1 - I'll be checking the pickup coil and the blaster 2 ignition coil. Thanks for the suggestion.

Al - Things are mighty dry down here, and a heck of a lot warmer! Two toys keeping me busy these days, the Duster and a brand X (2001 Cobra Mustang). Had engine problems, so got it cheap and yanked it apart this last fall. Probably as quick as the Duster, but A/C, nice stereo, 5 speed and handles a heck of a lot better. Still won't sell the Mopar though!
© 2024 Moparts Forums