Moparts

Lifters not behaving..

Posted By: Wolfe440

Lifters not behaving.. - 02/06/11 09:25 PM

Anyone had any problems with hydraulic Comp Cams High Energy lifters pumping up during run in?
I have a new set and some are pumping up and firm and some are not after about two hours of run time. I have 40lbs of oil pressure at idle and 80+ at higher rpm. New in the box for a year and I only submerged them in oil before install, should I have done more?
Thanks..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 01:06 AM

I'm assuming you cleaned the oil off of the lifter bottoms & slathered on cam paste for the final install for breakin but that's seperate from your prob. Might have to take the ones out/open them up/clean/lube/inspect the insides for anything that doesn't look right

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 05:06 AM

Well it looks like one way or the other I have to go back in and find out whats up. They sat on the shelf for a year, some corrosion may have found its way inside of a few. In that case may as well buy a new set and be sure.

I have not put the engine under load, but one person I spoke to said he put his engine under load and drove it around for a while and it cleared up this problem for him once in the past. Just not sure why that would matter.

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 05:15 AM

I'd open the offending ones up & see what you see & as you know return each one to it's orig hole. Holler how it turns out

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 05:23 AM

Will do... Thanks!
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 08:45 AM

I would check for dirt and rust in the lifter bores and assemble with a light coat of motor oil or tranny fluid. Don't pump the lifters up. When the motor starts it will fill the lifters.. I've pre-filled lifters and it wasn't worth my time because I had to go back and drain the oil out of the lifters.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 08:14 PM

Are you sure you adjusting them correctly? By the time you pull valve covers and get ready to a check a lifter some may have bled off by then and appear to bad.

Be sure you have adjustment procedure down. If not check back in. Hydraulics can be tricky sometimes.....take a little experience.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 09:22 PM

Quote:

Are you sure you adjusting them correctly? By the time you pull valve covers and get ready to a check a lifter some may have bled off by then and appear to bad.

Be sure you have adjustment procedure down. If not check back in. Hydraulics can be tricky sometimes.....take a little experience.

Hydraulic's are usually only tricky if you have adjustable rockers.
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/07/11 09:39 PM

Take it for a ride & gun it , that'll sort em out.

Posted By: 340rocks

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/10/11 01:25 AM

what part# are they I have 822-16 sb 340 has oiling holes for pushrods but Im staying stock shafts wondering if thats ok

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/10/11 01:32 AM

Quote:

I have 822-16 sb 340 has oiling holes for pushrods but Im staying stock shafts wondering if thats ok

yes you're fine

Re: Lifters not behaving.. - 02/11/11 04:25 AM

Had to walk away from it for a few days, I figured I would try starting it one more time before digging any further. So today I adjusted all the rockers again to 1/2 a turn preload instead of my first setting of 3/4 turn. Started it and this time all the lifters pumped up just fine. I put on an old set of valve covers that I cut the tops off so I could watch things for a while and its all good. I couldn't find any wrong adjustments today doing the preload adjustments a second time, and I don't think the difference of a 1/4 turn preload would make the difference why some lifters pumped up and some didn't last Sunday. Just one of those weird things, but its doing fine now. Thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums