Moparts

Factory guages read low.

Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Factory guages read low. - 09/08/08 01:58 PM

My oil pressure reads 40 PSI on the factory guage but reads 70 PSI on my Autometer mechanical guage. Temp reads low on factory guage and 185º on my Autometer mechanical guage. I also think the fuel guage reads low. What can I do to correct the factory guages. Would it be the voltage limiter? Where can I get a solid state unit? This is on my 1978 Ramcharger.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Factory guages read low. - 09/08/08 02:00 PM

I would start with trying a limiter. Also make sure the ground is good. Some had a seperate wire that grounded on one of the dimmer switch screws.
Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Re: Factory guages read low. - 09/08/08 04:50 PM

Quote:

I would start with trying a limiter. Also make sure the ground is good. Some had a seperate wire that grounded on one of the dimmer switch screws.

The ground is good, a lead goes directly to the firewall. I will try a different limiter. Who converts these or sells solidstate ones?
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Factory guages read low. - 09/08/08 05:14 PM

Truck grounds suck, period. So do the factory gauges.

I always run a separate grounding harness for everything straight to the negative terminal of the battery. It's a pain, but it works!

Also, the factory gauges were never intended to be accurate, they were there really to show that a system was functioning.
© 2024 Moparts Forums