Moparts

Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal

Posted By: CDN72SE

Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 08:17 PM

Hello All,

Just stripping down the doors on my Charger, removing the trim, door handles, etc. My Phillips screwdriver doesn't seem to be doing the job on the 3 bolts (screws) that hold the door mechanism in place, I also have a socket attachment that seems to shallow to get proper grip, I really don't want to round them and then have to drill them out or something. Any ideas? Borrowed a pic from the web. ~ Alan.

Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 08:25 PM

Use a impact screwdriver if there real tight but sometimes you can smack the end of the screwdriver with a hammer to loosen them.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 08:25 PM

You have to have an impact screw driver. You hit it with a hammer and it turns the screw little by little.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 08:43 PM

Quote:

Hello All,

Just stripping down the doors on my Charger, removing the trim, door handles, etc. My Phillips screwdriver doesn't seem to be doing the job on the 3 bolts (screws) that hold the door mechanism in place, I also have a socket attachment that seems to shallow to get proper grip, I really don't want to round them and then have to drill them out or something. Any ideas? Borrowed a pic from the web. ~ Alan.

Those screws that you show don't have the correct under head shape. They should be countersink or beveled under the head. Whack the screw driver with a hammer as said and then use the correct size screw driver, if you have too attach vise grips to the screw driver for more leverage.

logan426
Posted By: VCODE

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 08:45 PM

I use my large Snap-on screwdriver which has a six point end near the handle and I put my box end wrench to turn it.

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 08:50 PM

Thank you guys for the responses I wouldn't have known that. I've basically used only the tools in my small toolbox to strip down my entire car.
Posted By: 1972challenger

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 08:56 PM

You may need a Posi-drive screw driver bit. If the screws have small hash marks in the cross of the slots it's posi-drive. A phillips screw driver will strip out the head of the screw.

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 09:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello All,

Those screws that you show don't have the correct under head shape. They should be countersink or beveled under the head. Whack the screw driver with a hammer as said and then use the correct size screw driver, if you have too attach vise grips to the screw driver for more leverage.

logan426

Thanks Logan, I borrowed the crew pic from Jim's Auto Parts site.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 09:31 PM

I use a big phillips head.Put it in then give it a smack with a hammer while turning it.It takes a large one.The impact driver works great too.Just sometimes I dont have it here.Rocky

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 09:35 PM

Quote:

You may need a Posi-drive screw driver bit. If the screws have small hash marks in the cross of the slots it's posi-drive. A phillips screw driver will strip out the head of the screw.

I had to google what that was, lol. I'll have to give that a try as well, thanks.

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 09:36 PM

Thanks for the input therocks.
Posted By: Keith BlackĀ®

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/04/11 11:44 PM

Quote:

You have to have an impact screw driver. You hit it with a hammer and it turns the screw little by little.

Posted By: therocks

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/05/11 01:24 PM

As I said the impact driver is probally best.The big thing is most people dont have a really big phillips.They try to use a small one.I have 2 real big ones.One Craftsman thats probally 30 years old and a SnapOn.Ive removed quite a few with just them.I like the Snapon best because it has a hex head that a wrench fits on.Rocky

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/05/11 07:26 PM

Thanks again, I'll post my results after I pick up the impact driver.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/06/11 04:22 PM

does anyone have a source for replacement screws for this application?
Posted By: indytex96

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/06/11 04:33 PM

Just be careful when using the driver and a hammer as you can actually bend the door jamb. (Don't ask me how I know)
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/06/11 04:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks again, I'll post my results after I pick up the impact driver.

I have just used a proper size phillips and a channel lock pliers, many times and never had one I couldn't get out. Don't see a need for hammer impact. The large size phillips is included in the basic tool kits. It has to be in good shape and not a cheap one though.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/06/11 05:18 PM

I use the proper size phillips in a socket wrench. I am not sure it's a #4 or #3 or #2 but they sell them in sets.

I TAP it a little first to let it know I mean business then press hard and turn.

Attached picture 6460288-unnamed.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/06/11 05:57 PM

Quote:

I use the proper size phillips in a socket wrench. I am not sure it's a #4 or #3 or #2 but they sell them in sets.

I TAP it a little first to let it know I mean business then press hard and turn.

Yes I agree that is the best tool IMGTX.

Just a couple days ago I cleaned out my storage area above my garage. I found 2 old cardboard boxes that I stored door hardware in. I brought them down and looked em over and put em in a bucket.I kept every peice inside those doors rubber bumpers and all! I was surprised.

Stripped a very rusty red 73 challenger around 1985? I bought it and installed a 340 and drove it for a few years. Then it got too rusty to be safe and I stripped it of every bolt that I unscrew. Then cut up chunks of it each week with my torch and put it out for garbage man each week, A whole car!

Anyway I have ever bumper, guides, window hardware, everything in this bucket for 2 doors.

Like what was said above, those screws shown above are wrong.

Nothing is for sale so please don't PM me. Always happy to post pictures.

Here's the tool I like with a pair of channel locks. It's a #3 phillips.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Door Mechanism Attaching Bolts - Removal - 02/06/11 06:00 PM

Quote:

does anyone have a source for replacement screws for this application?

as far as dead nuts on correct ? No

but very close is avail.
© 2024 Moparts Forums