Moparts

hid headlight onversions....who dun it!

Posted By: gremlinsteve

hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 05/14/08 07:20 AM

interested in your results. i would like a little better lighting in the ol 67...the stock stuff is old and needs to be fixed/replaced

steve-o
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 05/14/08 09:56 AM

What about halogen?

And, if i had a couple of grand to throw at my car, it sure as heck wouldn't be in the headlights! Or are you talking about those ricer blue headlights that aren't really HID?
Posted By: ToddP

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 05/14/08 11:37 AM

They work really well. the only recomendation would be to use oem transformers and stay away from the chinese kits.

I used junk yard lexus transformers, made by nippondenso. Toyota, and lexus are good used/ salvage sources. BMW is also a big HID user and would work well.

The HID takes 35watts of power. slightly less power than a stock 67 set up.

You will need a H4 headlamp housing and a HID to h4 adapter "ring"
Posted By: mark7171

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 05/14/08 03:22 PM

im using the polished lens housings with replaceable H4 halogens, all wired on a relay.

sirius H4 housings 5 3/4"

the relay draws less currrent than the old way headlights. 4x the peripheral light. high beams are as bright as legal.

http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08203/sasd4661.jpg
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 05/14/08 04:04 PM

Just 95w H4 bulbs on my car, relays. Never could afford the HID's, but i did spend about $30 on my headlights.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 05/14/08 06:13 PM

Only problem is getting a good clean cut off so you don't blind the oncoming traffic. I like HIDs and if I had a choice I would never go back. I think the only way to get a clean cut off is to get a projector style headlight and that looks a little goofy on a old car
Posted By: rftroy

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 11/08/08 05:30 PM

Quote:

I used junk yard lexus transformers, made by nippondenso.

You will need a H4 headlamp housing and a HID to h4 adapter "ring"

I am looking into doing this on my 69 Barracuda. Not clear on what is involved here. Do you start with a halogen bulb with replaceable element and adapt an HID element into the housing?

Bob
Posted By: ToddP

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 11/09/08 02:44 AM

Yes. get a replaceable Headlight housing for a h4 bulb. e bay has a vendor called hid concept or hid concepts. they sell a ring that adapts the toyota / phillips / osram d2s or d2r bulb. That is the bulb used in most early 2000's hid oem systems. the adapter ring has a shield to focus the beam to avoid blinding on comming trafic when used in a h4 bulb housing.
If I recall the whole cost for h4 housings adapter rings bulbs and transformers was less than $200.00. That was for the high quality junk yard nippondenso boxes and used phillips bulbs.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: hid headlight onversions....who dun it! - 11/09/08 02:47 AM

As far as HIDs go, I spent $60 on the set in my 05 Ranger. Been going about 4 months of near daily use with no problems. Will certainly go the same route when I toss my H4s for HIDs. If you search on ebay there are plenty of cheap, actually good working sets.
© 2024 Moparts Forums