Moparts

Yet Another------What Is This Part?

Posted By: @#$%&*!

Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 06:00 AM

I was looking for something else a while back and found another interesting part that I can only speculate on its purpose. The housing is like a regular electronic voltage regulator but the connector is the familiar 5-pin ECU. It also has an adjustment screw with an arrow that looks like it says "high" on one end. The part number is pretty clear as 3501840.

It can't be an ECU since it doesn't have the power transistor and I can't fathom the need for a 5-pin regulator. Maybe an adjustable timing control?

All WAGs welcome.

Attached picture 6449798-ECUadj.jpg
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 06:09 AM

Thats the plug for the electronic ignition setup. I wonder if it is a drag race only schmere, designed to operate WITHOUT an alternator.....
Posted By: BBCoronet

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 03:57 PM

Thats off of a police package car. We had a bunch of police cruisers in the yard years ago and just about everyone had it. I've got one around the shop somewhere.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 04:32 PM

You know, I have seen parts listings for regulators that say not for 117A units, etc. I wonder if that is the regulator for that application?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 04:53 PM

According to the online part search it is: 3501840 1977-79 A/C CUT-OFF CONTROL and 3501840 control clutch cut off 77 volare, aspen, fury, monaco, gran fury, royal monaco
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 04:54 PM

So that probably IS a Police spec part. It would disable the A/C clutch on WOT to improve acceleration. Kooky.
Posted By: A38s!

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 10:08 PM

Yes. They used to be a switch mounted on the dash. Don't know what year they came up with this 74 or 75 I figure. Still in use 1978.

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/01/11 10:23 PM

Attached picture 6451129-cutoff.jpg

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/02/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

That picture is pretty darn conclusive. Now, what is the adjustment for? Is there a wiring diagram? Anybody want it... I admit I was holding out the police info and knew it came from an A38. I might be able to dig up the harness it came off but that would be a long shot.
Posted By: pressureangle

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/02/11 01:51 PM

Not a WOT cutoff, but an RPM disengage for the A/C.

Maybe.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/02/11 06:45 PM

And if that's the case I'd bet the dial would set the RPM where the cut-off would operate...Cool stuff...

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/02/11 08:33 PM

Quote:

Not a WOT cutoff, but an RPM disengage for the A/C.

Maybe.

An RPM switch could prove useful A wiring diagram would sure help figure out how it works and how to use it
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/04/11 11:26 PM

Mother Mopar recycled existing parts. That really through me for a loop and would have never guessed as to what it was. Now that I think of it, that would be a cool addition the Fifth Avenue when I put A/C back in it. I'm going to start looking around for one of those.
Posted By: 71_deputy

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/05/11 01:29 AM

here ya go!

Attached picture 6457377-CCF05022011_00001.jpg

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/05/11 04:54 AM

Quote:

here ya go!

That's all fairly simple except, what is the "Signal Generator"? I expected it to be tied into the ignition but maybe it was enabled with the siren or auxiliary lights.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/05/11 07:31 PM

woah!!! thinking now on a nice upgrade on my car

there are several of those on ebay right now, but they sell them as a REGULATOR

that or simply a mechanical switch like this:

But wondering... where that module takes the RPM reading?
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/05/11 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

here ya go!

That's all fairly simple except, what is the "Signal Generator"? I expected it to be tied into the ignition but maybe it was enabled with the siren or auxiliary lights.

Looks like it might be cable-driven (tach or speedo)? The speed sensor for the cruise control on my '84 Ferd pickup sits in the same place, spliced into the speedometer cable.

Re: Yet Another------What Is This Part? - 02/10/11 12:27 AM

It is. Off the speedo cable. Fact tach was not a Pursuit option.
© 2024 Moparts Forums