Moparts

TTI headers & # 5 plug

Posted By: kdtjb

TTI headers & # 5 plug - 01/31/11 06:33 AM

By far most MOPAR people say use TTI headers, So I have bought no less than 5 sets. Call me a slow learner. My question is are all TTI users with stock heads running on 7 cylinders ? Or did they take a hammer to there brand new polished headers ? TTI has had years to fix this problem, but has yet to do so. I know I'm not alone on this. So let's call them out.

Attached picture 6448205-P1020211.jpg
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 01/31/11 01:56 PM

It sure looks hard to get a socket on that plug, huh?
Is there any chance of slotting the mounting holes of the headers to allow them to move forward a little? 1/8 inch may be enough to get a socket on that plug. If you are concerned about port mismatch, try the header on a head on a work table. You may get lucky and find that the "ovalling" out of the holes actually helps the ports align better. Its worth a try.
Posted By: pressureangle

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 01/31/11 02:09 PM

Use a wrench instead?
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 01/31/11 02:12 PM

I have one of the early Block Hugger TTI headers on a 400 stroker and have no problems reaching plugs with a scoket.
Posted By: 71383beep

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 01/31/11 02:54 PM

I had issues with the #3 plug on the left side. Being used to having headers I posted a question on here asking what others have done and how best to live with it and instead someone from their end PM'd me personally and it turned out I had an older set and they had a new design in use that remedied my issue. They sent me a new left side and asked for mine back. I didn't pay 1 cent for this so in my book they ARE the best out there and are a stand up company.

have you spoken directly with anyone from TTI? Perhaps this is something that they may have worked out already?

BTW...I have never been able to use a socket on all of my plugs. I have had to use a wrench on at least 3 plugs. By far this is way better than some other headers out there. I can also use a socket on almost all of the header bolts too. Too me the bigger problem is dealing with the stupid coolant leaks that I never seem to get on top of!
Posted By: therocks

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 01/31/11 06:16 PM

I have 2 inch CPPAs on the 65.They were some of the first.Mine are 2 inch.Ive never had a problem with #5.I run Taylor Spiro Pros and the are at least 10 years old.# 6 is the bear on mine.I usually take it out from under the car.Rocky
Posted By: txterry2

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 12:24 AM

Have you tried a crow's foot?
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 12:54 AM

You shoulda seen the set they sent me for my low deck stroker. Had to get their 383 headers w/ 1 3/4" primaries & they dented about 4 tubes. ALmost 1/2" deep, too.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 01:06 AM

I am NOT a TTi fan but man yheaders require the use of a WRENCH on certain plugs. It's really not that big of a deal. And it's easier to get to some from under the car.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 01:40 AM

I have 2" Tti's on the 440 in my '62 Convertible. A socket will fit on #5 in my car. I don't understand all the complaining. On most of these big block early "B" cars changing plugs was just as much of a PITA with the original manifolds.

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 06:03 AM

No I can't even to began to get a socket on it. A wrench might work, but I'll still be running on 7 cylinders. The spark plug boot is touching the header. I can fix this problem with a hammer. It just seems that TTI would't want a bunch of brand new polished headers running around beat to a pulp.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 06:33 AM

I have had a couple of sets of TTi headers on my RoadRunner and 440. The plugs can be a little tite but EZ to take out, just do it when they are cold. A couple of the plugs I use a short extension.

Just my $0.02..

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 03:55 PM

I'm finally starting to get it. Running on 7 cylinders is ok.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 04:42 PM

Quote:

No I can't even to began to get a socket on it. A wrench might work, but I'll still be running on 7 cylinders. The spark plug boot is touching the header. I can fix this problem with a hammer. It just seems that TTI would't want a bunch of brand new polished headers running around beat to a pulp.

I'd say send them back but you've already beat on them. For the money TTi's cost they should jump out of the box and install themselves. These are $109 Summit headers and I didn't have to dink of beat one tube to get them on. All the plugs can be changed easy #5 is a tad rough but doable.

Attached picture 6450471-4402.jpg

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 05:00 PM

Quote:

I'm finally starting to get it. Running on 7 cylinders is ok.

You're a little slow to catch on. There have been a few decent suggestions posted so far. Besides, if your motor is fouling plugs so bad that it needs frequent plug swaps, your problems are far greater than header fitment. There are several spark plug wire companies making products with heat protection. Look into it. Were all happy to help, but we are not here to do it for you.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 05:07 PM

No his issue isn't changing the plugs like everyone keeps talking about.... His issue is the spark plug boot burns because it touches the header.... If the boot is touching then there is no room for "Heat Protection".... So when the spark plug boot is burnt to a crisp his car runs on seven cylinders..... Apparently the message he's getting is that burnt plug boots is acceptable with $700 headers... Where-as $150 headers generally don't have that issue....
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 05:14 PM

Quote:

No his issue isn't changing the plugs like everyone keeps talking about.... His issue is the spark plug boot burns because it touches the header.... If the boot is touching then there is no room for "Heat Protection".... So when the spark plug boot is burnt to a crisp his car runs on seven cylinders..... Apparently the message he's getting is that burnt plug boots is acceptable with $700 headers... Where-as $150 headers generally don't have that issue....

Not at all one member already posted he had the same problem with his TTI headers called TTI and sent him a new one at no cost to him. If he can't make it work and doesn't want to take the time to call TTI what more can be done

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 05:23 PM

If the op wants help, he should be CLEARER in his request. Nobody is paid on this site to help, so we're not going to dig for answers to HIS problems. If he would have specifically stated the problem and then read the responses, it would have been MUCH easier.
Posted By: 71383beep

Re: TTI headers & # 5 plug - 02/01/11 09:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not at all one member already posted he had the same problem with his TTI headers called TTI and sent him a new one at no cost to him. If he can't make it work and doesn't want to take the time to call TTI what more can be done

Exactly! At no time did I read "...I spoke with TTI and they recommended..." instead it's turned into a "I hate TTI because..." bandwagon. If there is evidence that TTI blew him off then i would be more inclined to join in, but as i said before I was VERY impressed with their reaction. since then I have had ZERO problems with burn't wires...including #5! Granted I also quickly changed to a custom firecore set which I speciified specific boots for too which also helped tremendously.

They are still headers though which means a fair amount of monkeying around to get them on and tightened was needed, but in comparison to MY former cheapo mopar performance headers that leaked like a sieve and burn't virtually an entire set of wires per year they are a HUGE improvement.
© 2024 Moparts Forums