Moparts

Stripping paint from plastic

Posted By: Bobster

Stripping paint from plastic - 09/07/08 09:09 PM

Hey everyone.

I have a small problem. I have a pair of original Dodge Challenger A-Pillar plastic covers that have been painted. They are originally white and some idiot before me painted them black.

Is there a way to strip the paint off these things without damaging the plastic? Are there any techniques that I can employ that can do this?

The Forum's help is always appreciated!
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/07/08 09:51 PM

try mineral sperits on a small area...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/07/08 09:54 PM

Those are made from ABS plastic which means that paint stripper will attack it. Try laquer thinner, it's safe for sure, also plain old DOT 3 brake fluid is safe and should also do it but it's pretty messy, typically you'll need to soak them in it for a good long while. Actetone and other solvents may also attack the plastic.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/07/08 10:34 PM

I used DOT 3 on the grille in my sig car. Some idiot had painted it black as well. Was all flaking off and looked like crap. I sprayed brake fluid all over it, let it sit in the hot sun for a few hours and the paint just fell right off of it. I gave the grille a good washing and a fresh coat of paint and it looks like new.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/07/08 10:41 PM

autozone sells a aerosol paint stripper for plastic bumpers. works awesome but can get a little pricey if you need multiple cans
Posted By: FASTBACK340

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/08/08 12:20 AM

I've had great results using Castrol Super Clean degreaser to strip plastic. I used it to strip the dash in my Barracuda of old chrome plating & paint. I also use it on vintage model cars I rebuild.
Posted By: JonC

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/08/08 01:10 AM

Quote:

I've had great results using Castrol Super Clean degreaser to strip plastic. I used it to strip the dash in my Barracuda of old chrome plating & paint. I also use it on vintage model cars I rebuild.

I had a post on Castrol Super Clean, from what I have read it's gone. At least I can't find it anymore.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/08/08 02:50 AM

The castrol purple cleaner at full strength works and I have had great result using oven cleaner, dont get the cheapo brand, never any harm to the plastic.

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/08/08 03:47 AM

You guys need to understand that all plastics are not created equal, some are resistant to nearly any chemicals while others will melt big time with solvents mentioned here. You need to know which plastic you have before using paint removers...PERIOD.

The part mentioned by the original poster is ABS, what I mentioned will work, anything else...BE CAREFUL! Oven cleaner is bad news to ABS or any other styrene based plastic
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/08/08 07:08 PM

Check out SEM paints web site for some good directions on what solvents to use with what types of plastic.

I am in the process of completely re-doing the interior of my coupe...so far they stuff has worked great!

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 01:25 AM

Great! Thank you to everyone for the input!

My interior is black so I figured that I can at least spiff these up and find a good home for them.

Best of all, I learned something new in the process. I should have thought of the DOT 3 brake fluid before.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 02:21 AM

Hey there is one thing that worked great for model cars that I have used to strip all paint no matter the age of paint 409 house cleaner. stick it in a container and submerge it walk away it will strip it

Preston
Posted By: dart67

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 10:59 AM

Why not 600 grit sand paper?

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 01:46 PM

Quote:

Why not 600 grit sand paper?

Because sand paper does not know the difference between removing paint or plastic. If you don't mind losing some fine details and don't mind missing areas in corners where you simply cant sand, sand away.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 05:51 PM

You have to watch with that castrol super clean. I tried some on some plastic parts years ago, that stuff turned them to mush. So be careful with what stripping agents you use on what kinds of plastic.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:02 PM

Scott,
What would you recommend for an original shaker bubble and e-body door panels?

Thanks!

Darren

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:43 PM

Fiberglass safe paint stripper on the bubbles. On door panes (Polypropylene) is pretty much impossible to melt with chemicals ( in fact most plastic jugs that hold chemicals are made of Polypropylene) so you can use most anything on the door panels. It's always a good idea to start with something mild like laquer thinner and work towards stronger chemicals should it not get the job done, Acetone would be my next try if LT doesn't work.

Here's a bubble I recently stripped for repairs.

Attached picture 4674573-KevinsShakerBubbleBeforeStrip.jpg

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:45 PM

Next step, add paint stripper to one half and let it work it's magic

Attached picture 4674577-KevinsShakerHalfStripper.jpg

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:46 PM

I stripped one half at a time for demonstration purposes plus it's nice to have a dry area for handling it. This is after the first layer of stripper was washed/scraped off.

Attached picture 4674579-KevinsShakerHalfstrippedredprimer.jpg

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:48 PM

After anoher coat of stripper followed by some elbow grease and a non scratch version of scotch brite and water rinse.

Attached picture 4674584-KevinShakerHalfclean.jpg

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:51 PM

Repeat the above on the other side and presto! Shiney original bubble material with no sanding scratches (which is what ruins the tiny original details). After doing basic spot repairs (cracks etc.) I use a good sandable primer to coat everything, when sanding stop when you see white show through and you'll avoid damaging the original material which is VERY easy to sand away, it's like chalk.

Attached picture 4674592-KevinsShakerAfterStrip.jpg

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:54 PM

This stripper worked well. I've also used the made for metal "Aircraft" stripper with similar results, non had any adverse affects on the original base material no matter how long it was sitting on the part.

Do it in an open area far away from anything painted or nice because if it gets on pretty much anything it's toast!

ALWAYS wear eye protection and full cover of clothing, it spatters and splashes easily and always goes where you least expect....And...IT BURNS YOU FAST! BTW, Latex gloves WILL MELT when in contact with paints stripper, I used PVC gloves which resist it much better.

Attached picture 4674598-PaintStripper.jpg
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 06:58 PM

Thanks Scott... Next time you are in Florida why don't you stop by the house and repair mine for me?

Darren

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 07:05 PM

Tell you what? You strip it and send it to me, I'll repair it and send it back with a bill?

Or......You can let me strip it, repair it, paint it, and send you a BIGGER bill.

It's your call, your money or your flesh.

Loss of flesh is the reason I charge extra for paint stripping, it's my least favorite thing to do. It took me roughly 5 hours to completely strip the example above, time varies with every example but the mess is always the same.

Posted By: mopowergtx

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/09/08 11:22 PM

Quote:

Those are made from ABS plastic which means that paint stripper will attack it. Try laquer thinner, it's safe for sure, also plain old DOT 3 brake fluid is safe and should also do it but it's pretty messy, typically you'll need to soak them in it for a good long while. Actetone and other solvents may also attack the plastic.

Laquer thinner will not harm interior plastic trim like those A-pillars. I've personally done it a ton of times. I've evan used it to clean door panels(vinyl) to prep them for a redye. I've never tried the DOT 3 but need to someday because I got some stubborn dye on some decent but faded interior plastics for F-bodies that just doesnt want to let go with the laquer thinner. The one benifit using the laquer thinner, if it will take the old dye off is, it will be ready to paint when your done getting it off. Now with the brake fluid your going to have to make sure to get it, meaning the brake fluid , all off there really good or its going to mess up your redye.

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/13/08 05:14 PM

I have to give a shout out to Scott at Harm's Auto for the brake fluid tip. It worked like a charm!

Thanks to everyone else for some great tips working with other materials as well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stripping paint from plastic - 09/21/08 09:42 PM

What would work on stripping paint off of items such as plastic grilles and such?
© 2024 Moparts Forums