Moparts

PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal

Posted By: YO7_A66

PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 01/29/11 09:33 PM

I am still working with my current ps box and my next issue is to replace the shaft seal on the upper shaft where the steering coupler connects.
Can someone tell me how difficult it is to replace this seal (box mounted in the car) once I have the steering coupler off and out of the way?
I would appreciate any pointers before I start on it.

Thanks
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 01/30/11 01:07 AM

I replaced one with the box still in a 64 Belvedere wagon once. I pulled the column out of the way, and it wasn't hard to do. I used a small flat screwdriver to pry the old seal out. Then I packed a little tissue in the opening while I steel wooled the shaft near the seal surface.Tape up the splines so they don't cut the new seal, and remove the tissue and install the seal. I used a socket the drive the new seal with. Good luck.

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 01/30/11 02:46 AM

That sounds fairly easy but I did not see the seal on the NAPA websight. Hopefully I can find the seal without having to pay for the entire rebuild kit (50$).

Thank you for the reply. I was not sure if it was at the end or if I needed to pull other items out of the end before I got to the seal.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 01/30/11 03:35 PM

Last time I ck'd ( been a few years though ) the seal was still avail by itself thru Mopar.
Posted By: 68GTS383

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 01/30/11 05:36 PM

I just purchased the upper and lower seals for a 68 Dart P/S from Napa
this week.You need a salesman that knows how to look up parts in a book. I think both seals were under 15 bucks!

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 01/30/11 07:51 PM

I will call my NAPA store and see what they can find. I have already changed the lower seal and maybe this week and can get the steering column out of the way.
I found this kit on the Autozone websight if NAPA can not find it.

Thanks again.

Attached picture 6446969-inputshaftsealkit.jpg

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 02/10/11 02:18 PM

""I pulled the column out of the way, and it wasn't hard to do. I used a small flat screwdriver to pry the old seal out. Then I packed a little tissue in the opening while I steel wooled the shaft near the seal surface.Tape up the splines so they don't cut the new seal, and remove the tissue and install the seal. I used a socket the drive the new seal with.""

Thank you for the pointers. It has been a few years since I pulled the wheel assembly.

I now have the seal kit shown above in the last reply. I don't remember if I need to pull the steering coupler apart or not before removing the steering wheel assembly. Could someone clarify?

Thanks
Posted By: urdustd

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 02/10/11 09:24 PM

You will either need to pull the coupler apart or remove the coupler from the steering box. My coupler seal and clip were shot, so I pulled the coupler apart. Actually a pretty quick disassembly on my a-body.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 02/11/11 01:34 AM

Just drive the roll pin out of the coupler, and take it out with the column. If the coupler needs to be rebuilt, you can do it while you have the whole column out.

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 02/11/11 12:38 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I hope to start on it this weekend.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 02/11/11 08:54 PM

I just picked mine out and knocked a new one in. It was on a 71 Road Runner

Re: PS Box Seal Replacement:: Upper Seal - 02/12/11 10:03 PM

I replaced the seal today and everything went smooth. The seal was a pain to dig out but the new one went in fine.

Thanks again for the pointers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums