Moparts

How to remove tree sap?????

Posted By: MI_Custumz

How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 12:22 PM

Buddy of mine has tree sap (he thinks it's pine) on his new jeep. What would he use to take it off? He used Turtle Wax tar and bug remover and no luck. He doesn't want to damage the paint.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 12:40 PM

Warm water?? heat it up like maple syrup.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 12:46 PM

soap and water remove tree sap. alcohol based cleaners work also. i would try something like simple green cleaner, spray it on , let it soak then rinse.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 12:53 PM

Quote:

soap and water remove tree sap. alcohol based cleaners work also. i would try something like simple green cleaner, spray it on , let it soak then rinse.

Soap and water ? Not any tree sap I ever tried, LOL

I do agree with the alcohol based cleaners though. Or some rubbing alcohol on a rag works.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 03:25 PM

Citrus based cleaners. Cabinet shops use citrus cleaner to clean their blades because it takes wood residue & sap off. Won't hurt the paint, WILL remove your wax.
Posted By: Neil

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 04:29 PM

Hot soapy water should take a lot of it off. I'd think a clay bar might work too.
Posted By: A38s!

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 04:44 PM

Above, all good solutions. If you wait weeks, as the sap dries, it'll shrink and pull off the clear coat. Then you've got problems .
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 06:14 PM

If the sap is "pulling" the clear off, you may have other problems to worry about. There is no way that clear coat should be pulled off like that. I agree, you need to get it off asap. I have had luck with citrus cleaners, goo b gone and wax and grease remover. Accordinding to the link below, mineral spirits and beleive it or not they claim lard and mayonnaise will work. I guess you could have lunch while you're at it!
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-remove-sap-from-my-car.htm
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 07:17 PM

At the end of my dad's driveway, where we grew up, there were two acorn trees. These things p&^%ed out sap like a hose. 5-10 minutes and your car was covered.

We used Ivory dish soap and warm water.

Like any truck style soap; don't let it dry on the vehicle.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 08:20 PM

Here's a reference, never tried it.

Attached picture 4669990-AutoCleanup.jpg
Posted By: Bobster

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 09:46 PM

That tree sap remedy is spot on. I used to use butter, but that can get expensive.

For some reason the oil breaks down the tree sap. I'll leave it to the chemists to chime in why this works.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 10:28 PM

denatured alcohol takes it right off and doesnt hurt the paint.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/07/08 10:31 PM

Simple green

Attached picture 4670216-imagesmopar.jpg
Posted By: Lefty

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/08/08 05:01 PM

I use penetrating oil. Don't leave the sap on the car, the acid in it will stain the clearcoat.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/08/08 05:10 PM

my wife swears by vegetable oil for cleaning off sap from hands and hair. I've tried it a few times and it works but leaves my hands / arms oily. :-)

I think peanut butter is supposed to work as well.
Posted By: FarDarter

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/08/08 05:46 PM

"Like dissolves like."
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/08/08 06:27 PM

Quote:

"Like dissolves like."

I agree here as long as the paint is cured. Turpintine is made from pine sap and will therfore disolve the sap and should not cause any damage to the paint. Wash with soap and warm water to remove the residue.
Posted By: herkamer

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/08/08 06:36 PM

http://www.glazedistributing.com/glaze.html#tsr
bottom of the page

This stuff is amazing. I had some nasty spots on a vehicle and the turdle wax stuff wouldn't touch it. Wax and grease remover wouldn't do a thing. This stuff cut it right off in seconds. It's alcohol based but no funny smell and didn't dry out my hands so I'm not sure what else is in it.
Posted By: minivan

Re: How to remove tree sap????? - 09/08/08 10:38 PM

Enamel reducer.. Will not harm the paint, but it will take off the wax....
© 2024 Moparts Forums