Moparts

Wiring problem, blow fuses when I turn on headlights...

Posted By: maxxx

Wiring problem, blow fuses when I turn on headlights... - 01/24/11 11:52 PM

Hi guys, I'm having problems with electrical on my 78 Dodge truck. When I pull the headlight switch to parking lights or headlights on, blows the fuse within 4 seconds. Also, when I apply the brake, it will blow that fuse within 4 seconds.This is what I have done so far...

I checked parking bulbs and replaced them. One was a little corroded so I cleaned it. Checked tail lights and they were fine but I replaced them anyway. Checked all wiring looking for contact with the truck or metal. Found trailer brake wiring laying on the exhaust tail pipe. Wrapped the wire that was burned, then rewrapped all wires back together and moved it. Looked in the dash around headlight switch and under dash for loose or frayed wires, nothing.

Any ideas?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Wiring problem, blow fuses when I turn on headlights... - 01/24/11 11:59 PM

Quote:

Any ideas?

might start by seperating all the connectors to the rear of the truck to pin it down some. On a car it'd be the connectors in the DR kick panel but on a truck I'm not sure but my 440 '78 D150 is (most likely) coming back to (my) possesion in a few weeks but b 4 I let it go I did not do much to it other than swap the 318 for the 440 and it was my 1st truck so limited truck exp.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Wiring problem, blow fuses when I turn on headlights... - 01/25/11 12:05 AM

which fuse?
Posted By: maxxx

Re: Wiring problem, blow fuses when I turn on headlights... - 01/25/11 12:36 AM

popping bottom left Tail Park. Says M S LIC under Tail Park. Then popping brake light. It's the 3rd fuse from the bottom left.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Wiring problem, blow fuses when I turn on headlights... - 01/25/11 02:06 PM

Check your tail light housings for a short
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Wiring problem, blow fuses when I turn on headlights... - 01/25/11 04:13 PM

Check the trailer wiring harness real closely.
© 2024 Moparts Forums