Moparts

97 5.9 cam to crank timing question...

Posted By: bb74swngr

97 5.9 cam to crank timing question... - 01/22/11 08:17 PM

Heads are off, rotor pointing at number 1, crank at TDC, number 1 piston at TDC, timing mark on crank gear at 12:00...why is the cam gear timing mark at 12:00 and not 6:00????? This was a running 5.9 when taken apart to replace head gaskets. My brother was just checking everything before he pulled the cam out. Help...it's cold out today...
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: 97 5.9 cam to crank timing question... - 01/22/11 08:20 PM

cause it is suppose to be 12 o'clock ...that is correct...if the cam gear is at 6 ...it is at no. 6 firing...

everyone uses the 6 on cam ..and 12 on crank ...easier to line up...

Re: 97 5.9 cam to crank timing question... - 01/22/11 08:23 PM

Quote:

cause it is suppose to be 12 o'clock ...that is correct...if the cam gear is at 6 ...it is at no. 6 firing...

That's the problem. This engine has not be touched since tear-down, yet at TDC the cam gear timing mark is at 12:00 also. I agree with you but that is not what we have...
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: 97 5.9 cam to crank timing question... - 01/22/11 08:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's the problem. This engine has not be touched since tear-down, yet at TDC the cam gear timing mark is at 12:00 also. I agree with you but that is not what we have...

You did not read and understand his answer, which is CORRECT

When you set up a new engine, with crank at 12 and cam at 6, THAT SITUATION is NOT no 1 ready to fire, it is no 6 ready to fire

Your engine as it sits is correct and just fine. If you were to wrench it around so that "what you think is correct" that is, crank at 12:00, cam at 6:00 and lined up, you would see that the rotor points to no6.

YOU WOULD ALSO SEE at this lineup that both valves for no1 are partly open (close to what used to be called "split overlap") and that both no6 valves are "closed and loose" --ready to fire

Re: 97 5.9 cam to crank timing question... - 01/22/11 08:32 PM

Thank you so much Tom and Tony! What you said is what we have...just didn't seem right. I have a lot to learn!!!! We will re-install just as you say:)

Thanks again guys...
Russ and Tim:)
© 2024 Moparts Forums