Moparts

Torsion bar???

Posted By: ChallengerRTSE

Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 05:39 PM

Are torsion bars specific to there location during install, ie left or right? I haven't installed torsion bars in years but something in the back of my mind says there is a rightside torsion bar and a leftside one as well. My new bars aren't marked either way.
Thanks
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 05:42 PM

check on the end of the bar, IIRC the numbers should have a L for left side and R for right. that was with factory t bars. aftermarket bars may be different.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 05:50 PM

Quote:

check on the end of the bar, IIRC the numbers should have a L for left side and R for right. that was with factory t bars. aftermarket bars may be different.

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 05:51 PM

Thats what I was thinking. I guess I will have to get with the manufactor.
Thanks

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 05:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Are they numbered ? also are they different size , one bigger diameter than the other ? If so the larger goes on the left .

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 06:04 PM

Yes they have a part number, the same. They should be the same size but I will check them.

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

Yes they have a part number, the same. They should be the same size but I will check them.

If that's the case then it may not matter what side , I guess a call to the maker is in order.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 06:44 PM

stockers have a right and left

when I got my just suspension bars I called since there was no designation. They told me they can go in any way, just keep them in that same orientation if i ever remove them after that.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Are they numbered ? also are they different size , one bigger diameter than the other ? If so the larger goes on the left .

DIFFERENT sizes?
Uhhh... no, they should be the same size for both. The ONLY time you might want different sized T bars would be on a circle track car, and even then you would want the larger bar on the right. What are you thinking?

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 09:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

DIFFERENT sizes?
Uhhh... no, they should be the same size for both. The ONLY time you might want different sized T bars would be on a circle track car, and even then you would want the larger bar on the right. What are you thinking?

WRONG , depends on the car, B/E body with the factory a HEMI suspension , one T Bar is bigger than the other , I may have the sides crossed , but I know what I am talking about ....
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/20/11 09:49 PM

as I recall over 1 inch does not matter on sides if they are new.

smaller you do need to know.

Never heard of different size t-bars. I know rear springs can be different.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/21/11 01:29 AM

Whats the numbers you see, Like said, the bigger bars over 1" are the same for both sides. mike
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/21/11 07:43 PM

Quote:

Whats the numbers you see, Like said, the bigger bars over 1" are the same for both sides. mike

Agreed. If numbered, generally speaking, the odd numbered part goes on the driver's side of the car, the even numbered part goes on the right side of the car...

Front to rear doesn't matter either for T-bars, generally, as the twist direction will be the same.
However, it's preferable to have the part number on the end of the bar to the rear, so it can be looked at later while it's installed in the car. (In case you're an Alzheimer's goof, like me )
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Torsion bar??? - 01/22/11 03:33 PM

Bars are left and right due to the clocking of the hexes. On some of the aftermarket bars including many of the larger ones from Mopar Performance, California Suspension (long out of business) and others, the hex flats are either parallel front to rear or 30 degrees clocked. These bars can be swapped left to right.

With proper clocking, the t-bar adjuster will be somewhere near the middle of its range when the car is at ride hieght.
© 2024 Moparts Forums