Moparts

priming oil pump

Posted By: mopar70charger

priming oil pump - 01/16/11 09:31 PM

i am as of now trying to prime the oil pump with a oil pump priming tool with a drill , the oil filter was off until i noticed it starting to pour oil which it did, then i placed a oil filter back on the motor with oil in filter... but then i tried to get oil else where by priming it and i don't seem to see any especially around timing chain and or the top of the heads. i am using a 3/8 drill.. can someone tell me what am i doing wrong or what i should do..this is on a rebuilt motor ..i also oiled all cylinders with marvel mystery oil..to try and lube the cylinders..
Posted By: redmist

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 09:36 PM

You need to rotate the crank by hand to get the oil passeges to line up??
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 09:39 PM

AND.......make sure you are rotating the pump correctly

BB/ RB engines go "to the left" CCW

SB engines go "to the right" CW
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 09:41 PM

yes..you need to rotate the engine by hand while turning the oil pump...
Posted By: mopar70charger

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 09:43 PM

are you saying rotate the crank with drill and the oil pump with drill at same time , bit confused
Posted By: sturmenater

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 10:11 PM

rotate the crank by hand wrench or rachet on balancer bolt and oil pump with the drill
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 10:29 PM

Quote:

are you saying rotate the crank with drill and the oil pump with drill at same time , bit confused

Is this a big block? if so.....................#8 exhaust valve full lift puts oil to pas side head............#7 ex valve full lift puts oil to drivers side head............just makes life a bit easier when you have a drill in one hand & trying to rotate the engine with the other.

Posted By: dOc !

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 10:35 PM

Have the GF or wife hold the drill ...and you go under and bar thew motor over slowly.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 11:07 PM

Quote:

Is this a big block? if so #8 exhaust valve full lift puts oil to pas side head.#7 ex valve full lift puts oil to drivers side head.

Been waiting for that for months! plus #8 is on the pass side so it will be easy to remem . Here's a good read (5 min) I would checkout "ring breakin" at www.mototuneusa.com b 4 you fire it
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: priming oil pump - 01/16/11 11:35 PM

Quote:

Been waiting for that for months!

You only had to ask...........got so p... off one day when trying to send oil to heads i just thought there's gotta be an easier way on a stock oiling system......

Posted By: 440forPOWER

Re: priming oil pump - 01/17/11 12:03 AM

Dumb ? but won't turning the crank wipe the break in lube off the cam? I was always told to try not to turn the cam at all until initial fire up. Is this wrong? Thanks
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: priming oil pump - 01/17/11 12:07 AM

Turning it over a few times by hand while priming the oil system won't hurt the lube on the cam and lifters.

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: priming oil pump - 01/17/11 12:53 AM

Correct; a (very) few times wont wipe enough of the goop off but I like to preoil/adj valves (if solids) then take off the valvetrain/goop the lobes/bottoms/replace valvetrain. The adj will not change more than an insignificant amt (if that) from a R&R but excessive turning will cause a prob from excessive wiping. Also have the batt up/several squirts in the carb/ign timing @10 BTDC & be sure the box is firing
© 2024 Moparts Forums