Moparts

Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body

Posted By: MileHighDart

Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/15/11 08:22 PM

As you'll notice from the pics, I've converted my Dart from bench seat to buckets.

I also just purchased a Hurst Promatic-2 shifter for it.

So now my only question is, where do I mount the shifter to make it something like a stock location ?

Seems to be two locations that would work well, first is the rear position, where the tunnel starts to ramp upwards.
The second position is about 6-8" forward of that, where the tunnel starts to flatten out, more on top of the tunnel.
Any ideas ? Could anyone with a stock floor shifted dart take a measurement from somewhere on the dash or floor to where the shifter handle is ?

Here's pics of both possible installation spots. Both would be comfortable enough. Note: the seats are all the way to the rear right now, which is were they will be when I'm driving.

First a pic of the rear position.

Attached picture 6419236-Rear.JPG

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/15/11 08:23 PM

and a pic of the more Forward position.

Attached picture 6419239-forward.JPG
Posted By: Dartcuda

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/15/11 08:32 PM

Wherever it feels right .

Attached picture 6419256-MVC-005F.JPG
Posted By: rjsjea

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/15/11 08:32 PM

Mount it where it's most comfortable for you
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/16/11 02:33 PM

Quote:

Mount it where it's most comfortable for you

X3 ... but if you are looking for somewhat stock , are you mounting a console over it because that's the only way they came from the factory , then you want it rear of the round flat on the side of the tunnel ...

But where it's comfortable for you is the best location.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/16/11 03:33 PM

not a Dart but same shifter,I had the same thoughts about where a stock 4-speed location would be

I went with what felt good

one suggestion...cut the hole for the cable first,put it thru the rubber groumet installed in the floor,then mark holes for shifter and mount it to foor,then bolt cable to shifter

I was a ruff 1/4" off had to it just a tad for the cable and groumet to fit and bolt to shifter

i like the shifter,it will work good with the CRT-FMVB I have

Attached picture 6420733-hurstshifter#2.jpg
Posted By: 71valiant

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/16/11 03:50 PM

What shifter is that?

Quote:

not a Dart but same shifter,I had the same thoughts about where a stock 4-speed locaktion would be

wound up going with what felt good

one suggestion...cut the hole for the cable first,put it thru the rubber groumet installed in the floor,then mark holes for shifter and mount it to foor,then bolt cable to shifter

I use a ruff 1/4 off had to it just a tad for the cable and groumet to fit

i like the shifter,it will work good with the FMVB

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/16/11 04:58 PM

man,that first cup of had my spelling off

my shifter is the same as th OP shifter

a hurst pro-matic II,mines a little longer handle for a truck,I did test fit my buddys pro-matic II short handle one also,I would use either in the truck,but was buying one so order it for the truck

swaped in a manual truck steer colum also

Re: Where to mount aftermarket floor shifter - a-body - 01/16/11 06:44 PM

Heres where I ended up mounting it last night. Went with where it felt best. A couple inches forward of the rearward position I showed at the top of this thread.

So far I just mounted the shifter, but haven't made the hole for the cable.
I'll try it out again this morning and if it still feels right I'll finish the intallation.

Attached picture 6421128-location.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums