Moparts

Horsepower TV 360 budget build show?

Posted By: racealittle

Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 08:42 PM

Anyone see the new episode this weekend?

Apparently bought a hurt motor with very good parts for something like $450.

Looks like a magnum block and crank with LA eddy heads. roller cam, etc.

How do you get LA heads to oil properly with a magnum block?
Posted By: RV2

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 08:46 PM

I was waiting for somebody to post about this, how could that be real world? paying $475 for an aluminum headed roller cammed roller rocker small block!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 08:48 PM

I laughed when they drained the pan and said all the water that gushed out was condensation.What a bunch of rubes.Whoever sold that motor for 450 was another dummy.The heads were worth more than that.Rocky
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 08:54 PM

Saw that too, must have bought it from a tweeker. Eddy heads and air gap intake, roller rockers and after market roller lifters, demon carb, comp cam and electric water pump. If it was a real deal, they done real good.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 09:06 PM

Wasn't there something about a neutral balancer on the engine that they had to change to an external balanced one? But I would like to know where they shop. And they reused the rings, and still made good power. Kinda funny.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 09:20 PM

I know that the show is entertainment. Most of us would have bought that engine just for the parts if it really was a legitimate sale.
We also can kick around everything we saw, and pick it apart.

BUT, I am pretty sure that was a magnum crank from the markings. I don't remember seeing those markings on earlier LA cranks. Someone spent big on that motor.

I just want to really know about the use of LA heads/oiling, on a magnum block/?
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 09:38 PM

You just have to use a lifter that will oil through the push rod. It was a magnum block as it was equipped for lifter retention.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 10:10 PM

You know those shows are basically infomercials.
Since when has the truth been an issue for tv ratings.
Posted By: RV2

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 10:11 PM

I will have to go back and watch the episode but I think those roller lifters had a link attaching them together, even if it was a magnum block still had aftermarket lifters.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 10:33 PM

Quote:

You just have to use a lifter that will oil through the push rod. It was a magnum block as it was equipped for lifter retention.

magnum block...LA heads..not going to work by oiling thru pushrod...

how is oil presssure going to get to shaft????

were they using eddy magnum heads maybe?
since eddy magnums use stud mounted small block chevy rockers?
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

I will have to go back and watch the episode but I think those roller lifters had a link attaching them together, even if it was a magnum block still had aftermarket lifters.

I believe they did.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, it had aftermarket, linked roller lifters.

I was told that the block would have to be drilled correctly for oil to supply the LA heads. The very few motors that I know of that have attemped that kind of oiling mod, have always had problems.

I have a very good set of LA MCH cnc eddies that I would like to use on a roller cam magnum block.

I am a big block guy and don't know all of the small block tricks.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 10:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

quote]

They were shaft mount rockers and it used a traditional LA airgap intake. I was watching for those details.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

quote]

They were shaft mount rockers and it used a traditional LA airgap intake. I was watching for those details.

Probably was a 89-91 360 pre-magnum block that has the lifter retention ...spider and dogbones...but still uses the LA cylinder heads with shaft rockers...
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:08 PM

the block had the holes for a crank sensor on it, it was also black originally which makes it a magnum block right?
Posted By: feets

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:12 PM

Did the TBI engines use a crank sensor back there?

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:12 PM

i have two 91 LA blocks that take roller lifters..both have the mount for the crank sensor...just went and looked at them..

both are MP 360 crate shortlbocks..
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:15 PM

No, early 90's (and late 80's?) pre-magnum engines were black also.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:19 PM

Quote:

No, early 90's (and late 80's?) pre-magnum engines were black also.

so because they were not painted black they are not pre-magnums...?

so went i painted my 91 pre-magnum block blue it is no longer a pre-magnum?...LOL
Posted By: onebadstepside

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:20 PM

I thought the engine was built several years ago for their project barracuda....No way they bought that engine for $450.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:21 PM

I have a 91 360 roller block and no where to mount the crank sensor.

I have heard some of the early magnum blocks had PR oil holes drilled but none of them I have had apart had them.

It would not be rocket science to drill and tap a hole in the block and run it into the shaft, they do it all the time on big blocks for some reason.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/09/11 11:28 PM

P4876907 360 Short Block Assembly — 1.58" Comp. Height

that is what this shortblock is...you can see the mount for a crank sensor on the back of the block

Attached picture 6407340-100_2958.JPG
Posted By: MoparJoe

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 12:42 AM

Looked like a MP crate shortblock to me, late model crank and block and a 4.020" bore with coated skirt pistons are some things that point me in that direction.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 01:49 AM

Quote:

drill horizontle into the rear of the head thru the threaded boss to the rear pedestal then spot face inside the pedestal in the threads to get a hole started to drill downward at an angle to meet the hor passage. Feed it from the oil psi sending port at the top rear of the block & T off of it to feed both heads. I'd have to check my notes but iirc I drilled an .080" passage at the top. This is a good mod for ANY eng as it lets you restrict the 5 vertical passages from the crank to the cam to 1/16" (drill/tap for a setscrew and drill the set screw to 1/16") as that is all the oil the cam bearings need and cam bearings are a major wasted leak point and contributes to oil starvation probs on rods fed from mains that feed the rockers from the cam (#4 on a BB)

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

drill horizontle into the rear of the head thru the threaded boss to the rear pedestal then spot face inside the pedestal in the threads to get a hole started to drill downward at an angle to meet the hor passage. Feed it from the oil psi sending port at the top rear of the block & T off of it to feed both heads. I'd have to check my notes but iirc I drilled an .080" passage at the top. This is a good mod for ANY eng as it lets you restrict the 5 vertical passages from the crank to the cam to 1/16" (drill/tap for a setscrew and drill the set screw to 1/16") as that is all the oil the cam bearings need and cam bearings are a major wasted leak point and contributes to oil starvation probs on rods fed from mains that feed the rockers from the cam (#4 on a BB)

get the right set of heads for the right block and dont have all those problems...KISS
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 02:45 AM

I love Joe's comment on the 442 horsepower and 467 ft lbs of torque, "For what we got here that's very respectable." They should have fallen on their head that's probably the highest they've ever gotten that dyno. That's some serious power and torque for such a mild 360, and they didn't even tune the carb.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 02:55 AM

Quote:

get the right set of heads for the right block and dont have all those problems...KISS

I dont consider them probs only unmet challenges and the satisfaction when you fix/solve/change it (outside the box) is tremendous plus a person may have a set of killer LA heads ready to go and there is still the prob of the cam oil leaks.

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 03:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right set of heads is the obvious answer. I paid large for those heads and the world changed. I tried to sell them and got very ridiculous offers. Heads that support over 500 hp easy with a mild motor won't be given away by me.

I need to see how the mods to the oil system are done, then I can do the work.
Posted By: njdevil2

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 03:59 AM

I saw part of that episode. I hardly EVER watch Horsepower, only because it really is a Ford/Chevy info-mertial. The first thing I said was (like every one else) where did they get this for $450. The heads alone were that much. And why is it they always do a "cheap build" for a Mopar? This is the second one, I thought. Too much BS and Muscle Car is starting to become a joke as well.

Sure we could pick apart this one episode, but, geez, most of the stuff I saw was either unrealistic (alum head, electric water pumped long block for $450) or just plain stupid (re-used the rings? [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]?).

A hone job and new rings are cheap, you've already put the new bearings in it, whats a couple more bucks for rings.....
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 05:16 AM

Here is a pick of my 360 '94 Magnum block, from a Ram 1500
I'll be putting LA style heads, note the oiling passage an d crank sensor mount

Dan [image][/image]

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 05:21 AM

Quote:

I was told that the block would have to be drilled correctly for oil to supply the LA heads. The very few motors that I know of that have attemped that kind of oiling mod, have always had problems. I have a very good set of LA MCH cnc eddies that I would like to use on a roller cam magnum block.

It'd depend on where you tapped the block for pressurized oil but I could see it being difficult. DO THE HEADS, it was real easy exc for a slight bit difficult starting the angled hole inside the pedestal. That way you can use your investment. I didn't take pics & might be awhile b 4 I get back over there.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/10/11 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it had aftermarket, linked roller lifters.

I was told that the block would have to be drilled correctly for oil to supply the LA heads. The very few motors that I know of that have attemped that kind of oiling mod, have always had problems.

I have a very good set of LA MCH cnc eddies that I would like to use on a roller cam magnum block.

I am a big block guy and don't know all of the small block tricks.

dunno how hard it would be for a machine shop to set up and drill the oil galleys in the #2 & #4 cam journals like an LA, but RapidRobert has another good option, plumb them externally, like Indy does with their SR & 440-1 heads....

or just be on the lookout for an '89-91 360 block, they're TBI LA's with roller cams, or if you can sacrafice .090" of bore, any LA 318 '85-up is a roller cam motor....

or use a non-roller block and retrofit lifters....
Posted By: fast360

Re: Horsepower TV 360 budget build show? - 01/12/11 04:41 AM

Yeah it's really hard to believe that they got that motor for 450$. I did a 360 build very similar and it cost me around 4,500, although i was pleased to see they almost made 450 i was hoping thats what mine would hit. I haven't had a chance to even start mine yet:(

Attached picture 6412335-3602.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums