Moparts

doing a burnout in a rental new challenger

Posted By: sixpacksteve

doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:15 PM

hey guys im renting a new challenger and when i do i do a burnout it seems like it has a governor on it. it wont let you rev up past 4000 rpm. any suggestions on how to override this so i can get my moneys worth?
Posted By: ksj

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:16 PM

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:24 PM

turn the traction control off or try 2nd gear for more tire speed at 4000 rpms

and yes,it may very well have a govner on it for renters who do burnouts thinning the tire tred

you did opt for the extra insurance in case it blows the engine..correct??

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:30 PM

I know some rentals do have governors. Can you drive it over 4000 rpm 'normally'???

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:36 PM

yes i can, but once it starts to spin pretty good the engine will slow down then start to rev up again

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:40 PM

hack out the ecm/pcm and drop points dist in it

sounds like the computors doing its job of not letting it over rev

pedel the throttle and see if you can sneak up on the rev control

just as it gets to where it drops off, let off the pedel and stab it again repetedly

seems they will not free rev in N very high either

and have you tried a burn out in revers yet?
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:41 PM

Traction control! Somewhere on the dash or console (someone who owns one might chime in here), there will be a button to turn off the traction control. This button usually shows a car with swervy lines behind. Turn that baby off, and get your moneys worth!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:45 PM

Why do you think tearing up someones elses car is "getting your moneys worth"? You rented it to get to and from not to beat it to death. I hope the rental company has a computer hook up that they can tell how you are treating their car. You're one of the reasons rentals don't offer cars like that.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:51 PM

Do you really think that doing a few burnouts is "tearing a car up"? 1 mile on a gravel road is harder on the thing than a dozen burnouts. Now sitting in "powerbrake" mode with foot to floor for a minute is a little excessive, but a little brake action to light the rears up a few times in a Factory Hemi Challenger.... ??? Dude, hes just using the thing to do what it does best!

Besides, He didn't ask us for permission, he asked how to lite em up.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:52 PM

If you think doing a burnout is considered "tearing up" someone elses car then why are you on this forum? and if I wanted a car just to get from point a to b, I wouldnt have gotten a challenger.
not beating on the car would be like having Pam Anderson for a girlfriend and just cuddling.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/24/10 11:54 PM

What has the reason I'm on this board got to do with you mistreating a rental? If you can't see where the burnouts are putting extra wear on the car then you don't know much about cars. It's not your car to beat on. You going to replace the tires that you burned the tread off of? My car I'll beat on however I want but that doesn't mean I have the right to treat your car the same way.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:05 AM

maybe i should have just rented a Yaris. then we wouldn't be haven't this discussion
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:06 AM

Quote:

What has the reason I'm on this board got to do with you mistreating a rental? If you can't see where the burnouts are putting extra wear on the car then you don't know much about cars. It's not your car to beat on. You going to replace the tires that you burned the tread off of? My car I'll beat on however I want but that doesn't mean I have the right to treat your car the same way.

If it's not yours, don't mess with it unless you are willing to pay. You might as well get your own. And I agree, I hope they do have a computer on that thing. I heard a story once of a guy who bought a new ford. Within a month he came back because the engine blew saying it wasn't reliable and he wants a new one. They checked on the computer and the guy was revving it to 5000 rpm, street racing. He had to pay for the car in full and didn't get a replacement.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:09 AM

maybe i'll erase the computer before i return it
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:10 AM

Quote:

Then it would be obvious you are tampering with the car and they will probably fine you for it.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:10 AM

Years ago, some friends of mine (I promise I was not involved, seriously) rented a Grand-Am or Grand-Prix, Pontiac Sedan, and mocked up a nitrous kit and entered it into a bracket racing event here in California....so stupid....yet pretty funny.

-dan
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:22 AM

Quote:

If you think doing a burnout is considered "tearing up" someone elses car then why are you on this forum? and if I wanted a car just to get from point a to b, I wouldnt have gotten a challenger.
not beating on the car would be like having Pam Anderson for a girlfriend and just cuddling.

If I borrowered your car for a week ,would you care how I drove it?

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:26 AM

Define borrow?
Posted By: Tech Instructor

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:29 AM

It,s a rental go for it.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:39 AM

cant believe the people getting there panties in a bunch over a rental car he!! I know people who go get a rental when they are out of town so they can go to the local track and race.
Bottom line if you rent a car drive it like you stole it.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 12:52 AM

thats the same reason ford got smart about renting the mustangs back in the day

rent the car for a weekend bring it back with a worn out lopo 302 and not the boss hipo motor

stumpy has a good point..it is not the right thing to do and does ruin it for the good guys

and I know my 08 chebby work van has been looked at by the dealer when the rear diff went out in 7000 miles...I did nothing wrong as in abuse to it

BUT...they said I was driving it to fast,which I do know the putor kills it at 90 mph

so the down hill run with it on the limeter the whole way raised it to shut off at a wopping 96 mph( think thats what they noticed when they ran the scan)

they said they found debrie in the rear diff

but in the lobby they have a big poster with a pic of dried out oil on a bad diff and sell the BG oil additive to fix that

I think they use a cheap gear oil on the new van and the heat from high speed dried it out and toasted the bearings

they sure didnt want to talk about what debrie they found and just kept saying I drive it to fast

but like the old saying goes..stupid is as stupid does

I will just make sure not to rent that one you have had doing burnouts in

so did you opt for the extra insurance to cover any damage to it???????????

might want to take a tire gauge and measure how much tred is left...not all rentals are dumb azz people and know what people do to rentals...at least swap the fronts to the back and say its out of alinement and pulls left

what ever you do dont put it on youtube
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 01:58 AM

Quote:

what ever you do dont put it on youtube

And if you do put it on You Tube wait a few months & use someone else's account....
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 02:34 AM

Quote:

cant believe the people getting there panties in a bunch over a rental car he!! I know people who go get a rental when they are out of town so they can go to the local track and race.
Bottom line if you rent a car drive it like you stole it.

lol..ok.. so I don't know about all out destruction but if you got the rental, by all means take a few liberties with it. A few burnouts aren't the end of the world. The rental companies aren't stupid and aren't about to put themselves in a position where some "more than normal" wear and tear will offset their profit margin that much. So we can all stop worrying about the poor innocent rental car companies who by the way would have no problem giving it to you rough, fast, and dry if they had the chance.
Posted By: A12

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 02:37 AM

and all of those stories about those Hertz Shelby Mustangs and how they ended up on race tracks all over the Country and how they make note of it on Barrett-Jackson and someone does a burn out and gets Todays burnouts are tomorrows folklore or are they Do any of you think that Chrysler and the rental company aren't going to have a way of protecting against any real abuse..........did someone say 4000 rpm rev limiter duh....bet it has Lojack too. I doubt that you can hurt it any worse than a magazine editor and their road test crew.....and if it can't take that "abuse" let me know because I DON'T WANT TO BUY THAT FRAIL PIECE OF JUNK FAUX PERFORMANCE CAR!

MikeR
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 02:41 AM

What a bunch of wimps on this forum. Here's a rental 300C with me behind the wheel. Press and hold the traction control till it beeps once or twice then it's really off. It'll smoke 'em into 3rd gear.

Attached picture 6376464-smokey.jpg
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 01:59 PM

Quote:

What a bunch of wimps on this forum. Here's a rental 300C with me behind the wheel. Press and hold the traction control till it beeps once or twice then it's really off. It'll smoke 'em into 3rd gear.

and talking on the cell phone you law breaker! you should be put in prison and made to pay the rental car company full retail for the car you destroyed!
Shame on you...and at Christmas time nonetheless!

That's actually a very cool pic.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 02:31 PM

any suggestions on how to override this so i can get my moneys worth?

Stack a few extra floor mats under the accelerator pedal, usually works for rental Toyotas, hopefully you get the same results

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 04:51 PM

Quote:

any suggestions on how to override this so i can get my moneys worth?

hopefully you get the same results

Really? For doing a burnout in a rental car.....sad...Merry Christmas

Do you really think rental companies don't know all of the possible abuses that can happen when they offer cars like this to the renting public....guys get a clue. They've rented cars to motocross racers for decades and know what to expect, I've seen rental cars taken around (or as far as possible ) motocross tracks so a stinking burnout is "baby stuff" to me As I said if it can't take it then it's a piece of "stuff" frail performance car IMO

BTW 65 MPH reverse drops ARE possible in a Ford/Lincoln all day long; too bad a Chrysler product can't take a few burnouts and we wish harm and death to those that try

MikeR
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 05:00 PM

if your renting a srt or rt what do they think your gonna do ? they are renting you a h.p. car,drive it like it was built to be driven.if your not suppossed to do burn outs then they shouldnt be renting you a car that can do them.
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and talking on the cell phone you law breaker! you should be put in prison and made to pay the rental car company full retail for the car you destroyed!
Shame on you...and at Christmas time nonetheless!

That's actually a very cool pic.

not on the cell phone, just watching the tach and manually shifting it up......this was in the back lot at the dealership I worked at, Autobody manager took the picture. Boy was the hertz manager mad when he saw the tire marks........ we were putting new tires on it anyways.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If it's not yours, don't mess with it unless you are willing to pay. You might as well get your own. And I agree, I hope they do have a computer on that thing. I heard a story once of a guy who bought a new ford. Within a month he came back because the engine blew saying it wasn't reliable and he wants a new one. They checked on the computer and the guy was revving it to 5000 rpm, street racing. He had to pay for the car in full and didn't get a replacement.

Posted By: pacifica

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 05:24 PM

Quote:

If you have to ask for help on how to do a burnout

then i doubt you'll be able to figure out to "erase the computer"
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 05:54 PM

To those criticizing wanting to do a burn out in a rented Challenger: Please extract the shifter from your rear and and lighten up a bit---jeeeez.

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/25/10 07:12 PM

Quote:

To those criticizing wanting to do a burn out in a rented Challenger: Please extract the shifter from your rear and and lighten up a bit---jeeeez.

Marry Christmas!

You guys whining better never go to MATS. Most of the cars in the street car classes are rental cars. When Dodge brought out those ugly green Daytona Chargers a few years ago Dollar had 4 of them. All 4 were at MATS being raced.

I won Street with a rented '06 300. I even turned it in with all the track/event stickers still on it. The return lady saw them and asked me how the car ran. I said "Just fine".

If it makes you feel better though, it was a V-6 and never turned a tire the whole weekend.
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 06:51 AM

When I 'm planning on buying a new car I usually rent the same model I'm planning on buying and beat the living snot out of it if it can handle the abuse then I'm more interested in buying one. Down in Vegas you can rent Vipers and Vettes for about $300 a day. My uncle used to tell stories about renting cars in the late 60's early 70's on a Friday drag race them all weekend and return them on Monday. Maybe we owe our heritage to rental car places. I will never buy a car at one of those used rental car places I would be afraid it was a car that I rented in the past hahahah.
Posted By: ChallengerRTSE

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 01:42 PM

This thread is why I would never buy a rental.
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 04:57 PM

Quote:

Kind of have to agree with that one........

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 05:06 PM

People who buy rental cars are about as sharp as a bowling ball...
Posted By: badblack68

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 06:07 PM

I'm sure glad all the classic Mopars we own were never treated like rentals back in the day...
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 06:34 PM

Quote:

People who buy rental cars are about as sharp as a bowling ball...

That's if you actually buy it from the rental car company...many of these cars are LEASE vehicles,and they go to the mfgr's auction pipeline when that lease is over.Then on to your local dealer used car lot..
Posted By: chrisf

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 06:41 PM

Quote:

its kinda like going to a cat house looking for a wife

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 06:44 PM

why would any one want a cat for a wife

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 06:57 PM

I just realized I was wrong.. If you see a GT350H those are proof sometimes buying a rental car is a good idea...
Posted By: FK5

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 07:10 PM

Quote:

if your renting a srt or rt what do they think your gonna do ? they are renting you a h.p. car,drive it like it was built to be driven.if your not suppossed to do burn outs then they shouldnt be renting you a car that can do them.

To be fair, the original post was made because the car couldn't do them!

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 07:45 PM

if it were a 5 speed, I would never have this problem. plus being a 3.5 v6, there isn't nearly as much power as Im used to. its a sluggish car. Im sure an srt8 would be much different.
Im glad to see that people are taking a moral high ground. he who without sin, let him cast the first stone.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 08:56 PM

Some of us were raised to have respect for other peoples property.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 09:44 PM

Two words: Neutral Slam.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 09:49 PM

Neutral slam won't work because of the neutral rev limiter.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 10:40 PM

One word on the initial post and caps are enabled

IDIOT!!!!

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 10:46 PM

sixpacksteve is this you http://www.youtube.com/v/73HHKzCEp_Y

and Dodge even does burnouts to sell cars

Get a clue guys...

MikeR
Posted By: Boosted

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 10:47 PM

Beat the hell out of it. I rent cars so I can beat the hell out of them. If I get a rental while mine is in the shop it gets the same abuse.

I for one would never buy a rental car so it does not matter to me.. Just get the insurance and go have fun... I usually rent one to either go drifting or take it to the track..

Don't let these slow lane drivers get to you.. Have fun with it...
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 10:50 PM

Most rental agreements that you sign have a provision stating that you are responsible for the vehicle while it's in your possession. That said, if you break it and they can prove it, be prepared to fix it. If you have the funds to do so then go for it.

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 10:51 PM

well...I know not to start a rental car biz of my own now for sure

on my buddys dodge truck,you have to push 3 buttons at once on the radio to turn the traction control off

mopar kinda hid that one
Posted By: Gavin

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 11:30 PM

So I'm curious.....all you guys who rent 'high performance' vehicles and then just baby them around and drive to the mall - why are you renting these cars??? Rent a Toyota and save yourself some rental money and gas to boot.
Or is it just about 'looking good' cos it sure don't seem to be about having fun?

Roast em up and enjoy yourself. Sleep soundly in the knowledge that the rental company will be making plenty of money off you even if you use up a few thousand miles of rubber........

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/26/10 11:51 PM

Im still suprised at how many guys here think that doing a burnout is so hard on the car. Sure, its gonna burn the rear tires, But short of that, doing a few burnouts isn't going to hurt a Hemi Challenger one bit. That powerplant has enough torque to turn the hides over without even beginning to stress. Now, foot to the floor for a minute might get a bit obnoxious, but what exactly do you think you're hurting with a burnout? Hitting a pothole is harder on the car than a burnout.
Posted By: greenpigs

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/27/10 01:09 AM

No big deal, but I wouldn't post my plans.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/27/10 01:28 AM

Quote:

Some of us were raised to have respect for other peoples property.

Just one or two of us it seems. I almost never rent cars, and when I do, it's whatever's cheapest for the size I need. Renting a car just to beat on it is very lame. Grow a pair and build your own car to do that to. But then I think sitting there doing a burnout is a very sissy thing to do too. Some hard launches or donuts are one thing. Sitting in one spot burning rubber just for the sake of burning rubber, never saw the appeal. With all that said, rental companies don't rent out 300-400hp cars thinking you're going to drive it like a grandma driving her camry.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/27/10 02:18 AM

doing a burnout on a rental or your own car with a fresh motor in it will tell u if the engine is built right...with all this new tech out there...it should not break....people out there drive worst....they need to hold up to that abuse..I built my grand national motor,broke it in about 2 hours...did a nasty burnout boost up to 18 psi...if it's gonna go it will go....build it right will last a long time....still together at 220,000 miles....
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/27/10 03:46 AM

You guys whining ever really rent a car and see the agreement that is signed? Any vehicle I have ever rented (from Harleys to Vettes) have a checklist before the car goes out and they do check tire wear. Prety much anything you tear up or wear out will be charged to you.

One of the guys I beat at MATS even worked for Dollar. He thought it was hilarious that he got beat by one of his rentals.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/27/10 04:12 AM

I have had 2 HEMI powered Ram trucks, and both had this same feature: When in Park or Nuetral, I can hold the accelerator to the floor and the motor will NOT rev past 4000 RPMs.
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: doing a burnout in a rental new challenger - 12/27/10 06:41 AM

Some of the old jokers on this site crack me up. You know what? Sometimes I do things that are wrong BECAUSE they are wrong!

Its a rental! Beat on it. You old guys need to lighten up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums