Moparts

Lokar cable ???

Posted By: 70rrclone

Lokar cable ??? - 12/21/10 06:06 PM

is anyone using the lokar throttle and or kickdown cables. are they worth it? any idea what lenght is needed for a 70 B body w/440?

thanks
Shane
Posted By: rapom

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/21/10 06:46 PM

I used the kickdown cable with a Carter Carb and had to modifiy the carb to hook to the cable. If you have the Holley no mods are needed. I also bought the bracket that holds the cable. It would have been cheaper for me to make it.

Cable works great though and is easy to adjust.

I'm using the factory throttle cable. Car is a 68 Charger with a small block and edelbrock performer intake.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/21/10 07:07 PM

Quote:

is anyone using the lokar throttle and or kickdown cables. are they worth it? any idea what lenght is needed for a 70 B body w/440?

thanks
Shane

I had bought the Lokar kickdown for my Slant 6 / 904...The parts they give you are rinky dink in my opinion. I had to make my own brackets so they wouldn't go anywhere. Install was easy but I figured for the money I spent it could have been designed better

on my 69 Charger, 440/727...I have the Bouchillon Kit...I love, it was a cinch to install, just study the diagram, cut where it says and load it up. Gives you a multitude of setups. I was sketchy on it because it said that it was for 2bbl/4bbl applications. Holley, Carter, Edelbrock, Demon etc....But I had to figure out where it was going and what pressure since I have Dual Quads. It looks great in the engine bay, looks like a stock piece.

More will chime in with Bouchillon's kit...give it a few
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/21/10 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thanks
Shane

I had bought the Lokar kickdown for my Slant 6 / 904...The parts they give you are rinky dink in my opinion. I had to make my own brackets so they wouldn't go anywhere. Install was easy but I figured for the money I spent it could have been designed better

on my 69 Charger, 440/727...I have the Bouchillon Kit...I love, it was a cinch to install, just study the diagram, cut where it says and load it up. Gives you a multitude of setups. I was sketchy on it because it said that it was for 2bbl/4bbl applications. Holley, Carter, Edelbrock, Demon etc....But I had to figure out where it was going and what pressure since I have Dual Quads. It looks great in the engine bay, looks like a stock piece.

More will chime in with Bouchillon's kit...give it a few

I haven't used either but more people ask questions about the lokar , which is basically a GENERIC kit for everything , the Bouchillon kit is a MOPAR specific kit .
Posted By: 36PLYM

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/21/10 09:11 PM

Using the Lokar bracket, throttle and kickdown. Easy to install and adjust. Set it up once and never had a problem.

Attached picture 6370291-IMG_3846.JPG
Posted By: Pauls69

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 12:09 AM

i have the lokar as well, but folks seem to really like the Bouchillon's kit. iirc, the Bouchillon version allows you to adjust the throttle position lever a bit better, but can't remember the details.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 12:23 AM

People who use the Lokar and claim to have no problems are either lucky or they have a problem and don't know it.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 12:45 AM

Quote:

People who use the Lokar and claim to have no problems are either lucky or they have a problem and don't know it.

Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 12:50 AM

Quote:

well I have used many of them on Mopars and fords and have had 0 problems out of any of them but I have been in the trans business over 20 years and know a thing or two about set up.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 03:30 AM

I've had no problems with the Lokar trans and throttle cables. I guess the ones that have no problems know what they're doing.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 04:00 AM

I would not hesitate to install a Lokar throttle cable and/or kick-down cable.

Quote:

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have used Lokar cables on my last 5 builds as well as on several friends cars, and now keep a spare one in my tool box to help out others at the track that are having problems.

When Eric Paul's brother was having cable issues at a race in Indy, I installed a Lokar cable on it on the spot in less than 15 minutes to get him up and running again.

The Lokar trans kick down is so smooth I had a guy ask if I disconnected the back two barrels on his carb, because he could no longer feel the pedal get stiff for the secondaries (when actually he had been feeling a bind in the stock kick-down all along, not the carb).

Yes, they are fairly generic, but I work on race cars not show cars, and am used to a little fabrication.

Scott
Posted By: Alikazam

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 08:18 AM

I've used the Lokar stuff and some custom fabbing to get my van's throttle and kickdown just right (mostly for the throttle side actually). Worked great out of the box on the kickdown. I've also heard a lot of really good things about the Bouchillon kit and wouldn't hesitate to use either myself.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 07:02 PM

Mine were easy to install and adjust.

Attached picture 6371847-DSC00795(Large).JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/22/10 07:12 PM

I had this Lokar cable on my 63 since I put it on the road in 2006 with zero trouble. Works great for me. Ron

Posted By: challengermike

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/23/10 12:01 AM

I used both the throttle cable and trans cable on my 69 coronet and they worked great,the gas pedal needed alittle fab work to attach the cable to it but it wasnt hard to do.

Attached picture 6372313-HPIM1549small.jpg
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 12/23/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

I had this Lokar cable on my 63 since I put it on the road in 2006 with zero trouble. Works great for me. Ron

Same for me. It bolted right up to my eddy carb

Posted By: Convertcuda

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/16/19 05:26 AM

Anyone got a pic of how they attached cable to gas pedal?

Thanks Ken
Posted By: moparx

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/16/19 08:26 PM

ken, i'm not a fan of the lokar setup for many reasons. with that said, i don't have a 727 kit here, but i have a pic of a 904 kit. it was used for a mockup, then removed. maybe you can see from the pics ?
the bracket bolts to the rear carb bolt, then the attaching stud bolts to the carb bracket. if the carb doesn't have the correct bracket, it is a MUST you obtain one.
hope this helps.
beer

Attached picture PC100001.JPG
Attached picture PC100002.JPG
Attached picture PC100003.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/17/19 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By 70rrclone

thanks
Shane

they suck,,, factory unit even if you have to modify it is much better.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/17/19 05:22 AM

My Lokar throttle cable has been on my car for over 12 years and still working perfect. So simple to install and hook up and easy adjustment. And I like the throttle bracket on the carb so it works fine no matter how tall or short your intake is. Worked way better then my original cable. But I only use the throttle cable as I don't use any kickdown cable with a manual valve body. Ron

Posted By: rarefish

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/17/19 04:06 PM

Cable attached to pedal..

Attached picture AAA.jpg
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/17/19 04:09 PM

I have one on my pickup, works great been on there 15 years now
Posted By: 4woody

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/22/19 12:29 AM

I've used both Lokar and the generic Ebay Lokar knockoff of both the throttle & the kickdown cables. Both have worked fine for me, but either way with the kickdown cable you have to mind the length/travel of the tranny lever relative to the carb lever.

I HATE working with that woven stainless sleeving on them- IMO get the plain black plastic outer if you can.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/22/19 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

I hate their cables, shifters, dipstick tubes and just about everything they sell. I have 30 years of engineering background and have owned a successful restoration business for 20 years.
Good ideas, poor execution IMO,
twocents beer
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Lokar cable ??? - 01/24/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

The reason I fully agree with this is the transmission lever is not always the same length.

If yours works, as John said you are lucky.

If you have modified the length of the pivot point, you know more than Lokar and I suspect after fixing the ratio, not the linear adjustment, your set up shifts great.

If you think it's a pile of sht. It's because you expected more from a generic kit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums