Moparts

Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's?

Posted By: Exciter72

Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 02:42 AM

Seeing some manual steering boxs being sold as V8. I was planning on re-using the slant six manual steering box on my V8 swap project. Are they the same?

Tony
Posted By: Flite_727

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 04:07 AM

IIRC, on v8 cars, the manual boxes have needle bearings, where the /6 cars have bronze(oilite)? bushings. how/why this got past the bean counters i don't know.
Posted By: Cuda67

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 05:36 AM

See the rib that is behind the fill hole that goes a little less than half way back. That is with the bearings. If that rib is not there it's a bushing and you don't want that one. Stick with the bearing type.
The information came from the steering and suspension department at Chrysler Enginering. I worked at engineering form 36-1/2 years. The bushing ones (without the lump) wear out quicker. A-body 6 cyl are the only ones that got them.
If you want to run it, thats your choice. The siz and wt are the same in both cases.
I won't!!

Attached picture 6362138-P1010003.JPG
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 05:57 AM

Nice observation. Good to know. This sort of thing is helpful... thank you.
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 05:03 PM

Not to go off topic but what is used for lubricant inside a manual steering box?
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 05:40 PM

Quote:

See the rib that is behind the fill hole that goes a little less than half way back. That is with the bearings. If that rib is not there it's a bushing and you don't want that one. Stick with the bearing type.

great info
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 05:41 PM

Quote:

IIRC, on v8 cars, the manual boxes have needle bearings, where the /6 cars have bronze(oilite)? bushings. how/why this got past the bean counters i don't know.

Same logic that /6--small V8's have lesser, small brakes. Chrysler ain't the only one--common of Ferd, Gee eMM, too
Posted By: moparboy76

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 11:30 PM

I know from presonal experience that the /6 box will steer a 360 quite fine in a 76 valiant cloned over to a 360. We left pretty much everything stock except for the engine. Yes i know alot fo things should have been changed but te car was built on a very low budget darn near didnt have a budget broke as a church mouse!

Now however my curiosity has been sparked. Is the v-8 box smaller or lighter? Does it make a large difference in the handling of the car? whats the pro's and con's im sure the original poster might like to know as well?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/17/10 11:51 PM

Either one will work fine for you. I go w Ehrenbergs rec of MP hi temp wheel bearing grease mixed w iirc a bit of gear lube (The combo should be in the Mopar Action archives).

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/18/10 01:52 AM

Quote:

Either one will work fine for you. I go w Ehrenbergs rec of MP hi temp wheel bearing grease mixed w iirc a bit of gear lube (The combo should be in the Mopar Action archives).

All my factory service maanual says is to use steering gear lubricant with no reference to what that lubricant is. What does everyone else use or does someone have ebergs recipe?

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/18/10 07:10 AM

Quote:

ebergs recipe?

1 tube of MP high temp lube 4318046, heat it in a saucepan and add 2 or 3 oz of SAE 90 gear oil, enough to make a pourable mix. From Feb 1999 Mopar Action
Posted By: Exciter72

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/18/10 02:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the great information

I assume that the physical demensions are the same as far as header clearences and steering wheel shaft alignment?
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/18/10 03:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

ebergs recipe?

1 tube of MP high temp lube 4318046, heat it in a saucepan and add 2 or 3 oz of SAE 90 gear oil, enough to make a pourable mix. From Feb 1999 Mopar Action

It also said something about chopped walnuts too.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/18/10 03:41 PM

I was told the orig fluid was Marfax 250 weight oil very thick stuff .

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/18/10 04:06 PM

Quote:

It also said something about chopped walnuts too.

Purposely left out to avoid copyright infringement. Rick gets pretty bent out of shape over that. I got a tube of it (the green stuff) but haven't got around to mixing a batch yet. I've opened boxes where the grease was too thick and was not in contact w the mating surfaces and the oil mix would take care of that
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/20/10 01:11 AM

Quote:

I don't believe that at all. The bushing or bearing is at the other end of the case, at the sector output. Why would that little lump have any connection?
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/20/10 05:38 AM

So are the bearing units worth anything as cores? Have some that are worn that I was going to throw out.

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/20/10 05:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't believe that at all. The bushing or bearing is at the other end of the case, at the sector output. Why would that little lump have any connection?

I'm checking out mine tomorrow. Have some from V8's, 6's, A, B and E's
I thought A-bodies got the bushed ones and B/E got the bearing ones.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/20/10 06:48 AM

I ordered one w/ beaings from a JY out west, had to be a decade or more ago. I called and complained that it was a bushed one, not what I ordered. They said send it back, will refund. No refund.

If I ever find any reason to pass through Idaho I will stop.

They claimed it came from a 318 car. No telling what the deal was there. Plenty of variables.
Posted By: A70Runner

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/20/10 12:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It shows it has the bearings. The ones with bushings don't have that hump.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/20/10 02:52 PM

I've got a box from a 63 B-Body /6 and it has the rib just like in the pic?

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/20/10 07:01 PM

Quote:

Show me some factory documentation that proves this to be true. And while you're at it, be sure to avoid engine blocks that have had their cores changed too many times based on that number cast into the side of the block.
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 01:10 AM

do many of the bushed boxes go bad?is there that much of a differance to be concerned about on a street car?

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 02:19 AM

Quote:

do many of the bushed boxes go bad?is there that much of a differance to be concerned about on a street car?

I'd say no. As long as the box is clean (internally), lubed, and adjusted properly you won't know the difference. Except for the 20:1 worm gear, there aren't any new parts available for these except for bushings, bearings and gaskets. A rebuild is basically a good cleaning, assembly, and adjustment to specs. You can do this at home but the cleaning can be tough if the grease is dried out (common).
FWIW, I have a '74 Dart Sport 225 car and the gear box has the 'V8 bearing lump' on it and the box that came with my 318 '68 Barracuda doesn't have the lump. I don't think they had a different die casting for gears that would get a bearing, it was just machined differently. You can ream out a bushed housing and install a bearing if you want.
Posted By: Furyman

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 03:10 AM

I looked at about 20 of my cores today...in parts cars and on the rack.All the A Body six bangers are smooth.V-8s and 6 B's with manual have the rib.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 04:55 AM

Posted By: Cuda67

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 10:15 AM

Because that is they way Chrysler Engineering steering and suspension did it that way. The bushing don't last like the bearing.

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 02:50 PM

Last question for now, how much lube do you put in the box?
Posted By: moparboy76

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 07:55 PM

until she slides real easy! LMFAO Sorry guys had to do it!

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Show me some factory documentation that proves this to be true. And while you're at it, be sure to avoid engine blocks that have had their cores changed too many times based on that number cast into the side of the block.

I doubt the factory would have any documentation on this as a outside vender built the boxes. I am sure the housings look the same but they are diffrent casting for the bearings. Why would you send some boxes out for extra machine work if you didn't need to? But I just looked at my steering box that I know has the bushings in it because I rebuilt it myself and It does not have the ridge in the case. With that and what other people have posted it sure sounds like there is something to this ridge, Almost like counting bands on the input shaft of a T-10 to know what ratio gears are in it. I am sure there are other suttle diffrences in other parts to tell internal diffrences.

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 09:25 PM

Quote:

I filled mine with Mobil 460 wheel bearing grease until I couldn't put anymore in the fill hole. Then I waited a day for it to settle and did it again.

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 09:56 PM

Quote:

Dont know the exact amt but I like to pretty much cover the worm/sector (after going from lock to lock) & leave a little bit of air space for expansion
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 10:11 PM

Quote:

I ordered one w/ beaings from a JY out west, had to be a decade or more ago. I called and complained that it was a bushed one, not what I ordered. They said send it back, will refund. No refund.

If I ever find any reason to pass through Idaho I will stop.

They claimed it came from a 318 car. No telling what the deal was there. Plenty of variables.

Who and where in Idaho was this?

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/21/10 11:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I filled mine with Mobil 460 wheel bearing grease until I couldn't put anymore in the fill hole. Then I waited a day for it to settle and did it again.

I'd leave an air pocket or you'll likely have it seeping out due to thermal expansion. Those steering gears aren't vented.

Re: Slant 6 manual steering box same as a V8's? - 12/22/10 04:08 AM

Quote:

I looked at about 20 of my cores today...in parts cars and on the rack.All the A Body six bangers are smooth.V-8s and 6 B's with manual have the rib.

Pretty much what I found with mine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums