Moparts

How do you run an auto trans engine on a stand?

Posted By: Fab64

How do you run an auto trans engine on a stand? - 09/03/08 05:28 PM

The shop I'm considering sending my slant-6 to for a re-build (Picks Racing Engines, in Santa Ana) says they will run it on a stand when it's done. So, how does one start/run an engine that has an automatic transmission, when the tranny is not attached? That is, the starter gear is on the torque convertor, which I'm pretty sure probably can't be attached to the flex plate and used to start the engine (without the tranny also attached) - correct? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Roger
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: How do you run an auto trans engine on a stand? - 09/03/08 05:32 PM

Need a manual bellhousing to support the starter and a flywheel and you should be able to do it.
Posted By: Fab64

Re: How do you run an auto trans engine on a stand? - 09/03/08 05:52 PM

Well, DUH - didn't think of that, thanks! I have a bellhousing from a 3-spd tranny out of a '62 Valiant that may work. Are slant-6 flywheels specific to that engine, or are there others that would work? This is a '67 225 cu. in.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: How do you run an auto trans engine on a stand? - 09/03/08 06:08 PM

Slant flywheels are grouped by bellhousing size and crank pilot diameter. If the motor has a '67 crank in it it will have the small register and you will need a '60-67 flywheel. '68 and up use the same size register as a small block.
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: How do you run an auto trans engine on a stand? - 09/04/08 01:15 PM

you can also cut up a auto tranny case that is scrap and use it, but you will still need a flywheel. i have also used a midplate but getting the starter in the correct position can be a pita
© 2024 Moparts Forums