Moparts

360 Stroker Kit, which one to use?

Posted By: Suregrip

360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/10/10 10:41 PM

Looking to rebuild a 360 in a LRE for street use, with occasional towing. Would like to have 400 cubes or more with around 400-500 foot pounds torque in the mid-range. Should I go internal or external balance and why? I intend to use stock manifolds and a mild cam, with a dual-plane intake, T-Quad 850, 2500 stall 727A, 3:23 sure-grip. Looking for stroker kit recommendations, and cam recommendations...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 04:35 AM

Eagle cast 4" crank <$300 & KB stroker hypereutectics would be a reasonable start.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 07:21 AM

Eagle cast crank would be a terrible start. Get at a minimum a SCAT cast crank, SCAT I beam rods and KB pistons if you are going to use the original open chamber heads or wiseco if you are gonna get a decent head (closed chamber).

The problem with the Eagle crank is the overlap area between the main and rod journals, they grind away all the meat there in an attempt to make them balance internally, long story short, it don't work, they still need mallory to internally balance and the crank is severly weakened, I have seen them break in an almost stock magnum motor, low compression, stock cam, stock intake, stock ex manifolds... took about two weeks.

I would talk to Dan at performance only in florida for a good deal.

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 07:26 AM

External balance is fine in your case, if you chose to go internal balance you should then step up to a steel crank as the extra cost of the mallory required to internally balance a cast crank will offset the cost of the entry leval steel crank like a SCAT or K1. Eagle makes so much junk I will not even buy what little bit of good stuff they make on princaple.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 07:35 AM

Are you suggesting the EAGLE cast crank is garbage? I'll agree! They look like a 4yr old used an angle grinder to work them. Absolutely no way I'd think of using one.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 07:39 AM

Call the guys at Hughes Engines and they'll set you up with what you need. I worked with them on the 427 inch small block that I built last year.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 01:31 PM

Quote:

Are you suggesting the EAGLE cast crank is garbage? I'll agree! They look like a 4yr old used an angle grinder to work them. Absolutely no way I'd think of using one.

A month or two ago I looked at a 408 with a cast Eagle crank, with 160 miles on the motor.

The crank was cracked at the number 8 journal, Eagle told the Dakota owner his automatic tranmission shifts too hard and broke the crank!

Needless to say... Eagle cranks are sh*t in my book.
Posted By: sam64

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 02:28 PM

ohio crankshaft has a decent 408 kit.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 04:48 PM

I bought a new Eagle cast crank then traded it and it was just about to come back to me in another deal. Perfect timing as I think I'm gonna pass on that part of the trade
Posted By: Dartcuda

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 07:04 PM

Scat kit $1200 at Summit with the %15 code just a shade over a grand , that deal can't be beat.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 07:11 PM

Call Nick at www.compu-flow.com and he will set you up with great parts that work and even better advice
Gus

Attached picture 6351196-burnoutpicturegus.JPG

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 09:37 PM

So if I use a Scat cast-crank hit for 408 cubes, it would still be externally balanced and I could use the original balancer? Should I up-grade the balancer and flex-plate? Will a 360 balancer be enough weight for a 408 or should I use something else? I would still use a weighted torque converter for a cast crank 360? Which after-market balancer would keep the stock pulley alignement? Thanks...

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 09:47 PM

If you use an external balanced kit then you can use your original balancer and converter.

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 09:51 PM

Okay, that's what I was thinking, is there a better balancer I should use or will my old one be okay weight wise? Is it worth me upgrading to a better flew plate or just use the old one as well? What are you thoughts for a cam? Thanks again!
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 10:49 PM

Can you even get a scat kit that is external balanced?

My understanding is the Scat kit is intended as an internal balance set up. No sense in hanging heavy pistons on the deal to work with your external balancer. That's going backwards.

Get a neutral balance damper and move on would be my suggestion. Just about any 273/318/340 would work and aren't hard to find.

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 10:56 PM

Not 100% sure but Summit seems to show a kit which is cast crank internal balance or same kit cast crank with zero balance. Check them out at Sumit 1-98113 and 98113BI these are both with 20cc dished pistons... Remember this is for a street truck not a bracket racer looking for torque more than HP.

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 11:19 PM

The kit is designed to use a neutral/internal balance damper.

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/11/10 11:32 PM

So I could use my stock 360 balancer with the 1-98113 kit? But the other kit 1-98113BI would need a neutral balancer? I am getting this right?

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/12/10 02:15 AM

As long as your balancer is not in bad shape the stock one is fine for mild street/strip use. Check for dry rot in the rubber or if the outer shell has turned in relatio to the outer shell. If it checks out OK I would use it.

Cam is gonna depend on the heads but in general a cam around 230@.050 duration with about .480 lobe lift would be good. I would recomend the comp XE268 with open chamber heads or the comp 280 magnum with a good head like a magnum that flows good in relatio to the intake. If you are gonna get a good aftermarket head like an RHS X head or eddelbrock then you might look for a higher ratio rocker to take advantage of the aditional airflow potential.
Posted By: Dartcuda

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/12/10 02:43 AM

The BI kit comes balanced from Scat . Their balance job is suspect so get it balanced locally . Just use a 318-340 or aftermarket neutral balancer. There is also a cheaper 98111 kit with hyper pistons . Visit Scat Crankshafts website or call for more info . Also call KB pistons for piston/compression info. Pistons are KB/Icon 745.

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/12/10 03:17 AM

Quote:

So I could use my stock 360 balancer with the 1-98113 kit? But the other kit 1-98113BI would need a neutral balancer? I am getting this right?

NO
Posted By: Crizila

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/12/10 05:54 AM

Quote:

Call the guys at Hughes Engines and they'll set you up with what you need. I worked with them on the 427 inch small block that I built last year.

and go internal balance. Using your old external balancer is a bad idea, even if ( what you can see of it ) looks alright. It will give you more options as far as flex plates and convertors also.
Posted By: patrick

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/13/10 01:51 PM

cam, I'd use a lunati voodoo 60403 cam

I'd go KB dished pistons, SCAT cast crank, and either redone stock rods or SCAT I-beams.

I'd just have the rotating assy balanced locally. if it needs any mallory metal to internal balance, go external to 360 specs. I'd probably buy a new stock balancer.

for heads, if you wanted a little more giddyup, I'd get some magnum heads, probably these from hughes engines
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: 360 Stroker Kit, which one to use? - 12/15/10 12:13 PM

Quote:

for heads, if you wanted a little more giddyup, I'd get some magnum heads, probably these from hughes engines

I have those on my Duster, great value and work like a charm. For the larger motor I'd pop for the 2.02 intake version though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums