Moparts

Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ?

Posted By: bigdad

Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 12:44 PM

I'm about to dig back into the DeSoto and rebuild the motor / trans and get it running since no one wants to buy it

And I'm considering putting a old tunnel ram intake on it just cause it will look kinda wild

The hood clearance should be fine ..How touchy are they anyone ever mess with one ?

Attached picture 4399407-de-so-low.jpg
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 01:39 PM

a blower would be more street friendly and give you more bang for the buck. plus it'd fit under the hood too.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 02:20 PM

I have about 7000 miles on my current setup - 16 mpg and VERY street friendly... 3.23 gears help

2 holley 390's w/ vac secondaries
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/02/08 02:53 PM

I ran one on my '70 SF when I was in high school. Two 4160's from j/yard c-bodies and away we went. I learned mucho about tuning holley's during that project. I do remember having to do something with the vac. secondaries to get them to work correctly together from carb to carb. With a stick it was very streetable.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/02/08 03:03 PM

Quote:

I ran one on my '70 SF when I was in high school. Two 4160's from j/yard c-bodies and away we went. I learned mucho about tuning holley's during that project. I do remember having to do something with the vac. secondaries to get them to work correctly together from carb to carb. With a stick it was very streetable.

http://holley.com/20-73.asp

thats all ya need...
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 05:58 PM

just got my 340 running with a way overcarbed eddy tunnelram with two 750 proform dubble pumpers on it and it runs alot better than i thought it would and i havent even started playing with it

Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 06:07 PM

I agree with the vacuum secondaries, then the engine "takes what it needs" when you floor it. Mine is very responsive and streetable, although it took a LOT of tinkering with the dual Holley's. And don't listen to anyone that says it needs a progressive throttle linkage, it does NOT, both carbs should open the same.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 07:12 PM

I love the tunnel ram. Everyone that rides in the car is amazed at how nice it runs on the street.

Stan
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 07:15 PM

that car would look pretty sweet if it had a big blower on top, no hood, and headers with side pipes, then paint the car with a roller in matte black, and red wheels.

but a giant tunnel ram would look cool too, the taller the better!
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 08:36 PM

The experiences big and small blk chevy guys have with tunnel rams on the street are not so with the 440 mopar. I have run an M1 with 2 500cfm eddies. Fantastic street setup. A guy on here ran one on his big block pickup truck and had no complaints. Keep the carbs small (youll have 2). I like the eddy 500s. If I were to run holleys theyd be the 600cfm vac secondaries.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/02/08 11:16 PM

If you are running a 4 speed or a big stall you will love it, lots of power up top. No real issues after you get the carbs jetted..
With a stock stall it will be pretty unresponsive in normal driving.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/02/08 11:30 PM

Nice looking DeSoto!

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 12:43 AM

many moons ago...
400/ t-ram/ couple avs carbs/ stock cam/ convertor/ and 3.55 gears. ran like a champ on the street.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 01:05 AM

Once you get the carbs sorted out you'll wonder why everyone doesn't run one. I'll never go back to a regular manifold again. Last summer with the 750 eddys I was making 10mpg driving the 528 'nice'. 'Nice' is very difficult most of the time as your foot has a mind of it's own and likes to rest itself on the firewall. Dave
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 01:29 AM

A lot of guys I knew ran Tunnel rams on the street, they work surprisingly well. One fellow in particular ran the Offy T-ram on a 440 with dual 750 mechanicals. That was a very streetable setup and ran a bunch harder than it did with a single 4 barrel.

Sheldon

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 04:02 AM

I bought one and two old dud carbs at a swap meet
wondering if i can use them without issues

Sounds like some have had a little luck
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 04:43 AM

How about some of the Chrysler Long Ram intake manifolds on there. I know that Desoto has to be able to fit them on there.

Or better yet that Ramchargers setup they ran in the early days with the mailbox on top of it.....

I think the long rams would look very classy and give you great top end run on the highway

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 02:29 PM

There is room for the long rams but they are HIGH priced ..couple g's I think ?

Attached picture 4401856-2006_1107nov7thgarage0013.JPG
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 07:39 PM

Quote:

Once you get the carbs sorted out you'll wonder why everyone doesn't run one. I'll never go back to a regular manifold again.

Oh, but I couldn't agree more.

My wife's daily driver for years was a tunnel rammed 440 Cordoba LS. Work, groceries, you name it.

I worked in construction and for years had a 440 tunnel rammed work truck, everybody thought I was fibbin until I popped the hood, or floored the gas pedal....

My work truck had a 268 Comp Cam and a STOCK stall converter, it had more bottom end balls than could be believed, it would ROAST the back tires while towing a 1937 Plymouth on a car trailer, I know from experience.

I've had a ton of tunnel rammed 440 vehicles, never had a problem with them and I would truly be hesitant to run a single four barrel on a 400 again.

My Coupe was a 440 tunnel ram when I had it on the road, I drove it all over all the time, it was my only insured vehicle.

Lots of hood clearance too.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Once you get the carbs sorted out you'll wonder why everyone doesn't run one. I'll never go back to a regular manifold again.

My wife's daily driver for years was a tunnel rammed 440 Cordoba LS. Work, groceries, you name it.

I worked in construction and for years had a 440 tunnel rammed work truck, everybody thought I was fibbin until I popped the hood, or floored the gas pedal....

My work truck had a 268 Comp Cam and a STOCK stall converter, it had more bottom end balls than could be believed, it would ROAST the back tires while towing a 1937 Plymouth on a car trailer, I know from experience.

I've had a ton of tunnel rammed 440 vehicles, never had a problem with them and I would truly be hesitant to run a single four barrel on a 400 again.

My Coupe was a 440 tunnel ram when I had it on the road, I drove it all over all the time, it was my only insured vehicle.

Very Kewl!!!
What tunnel ram were you using?
I like the looks of of it!

Mark

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 09:31 PM

I had quite a few, but the one in the pics is a Weiand three two barrel tunnel ram converted to dual 4s, with the insides ported and fogger nozzles drilled for but not used. LOL The top had dams installed too, much like the Direct Connection Engine Manual pages....

I ran an M1 intake on my Demon, I drove it in the middle of winter, the cold start drivability was truly awesome!

Posted By: mark7171

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/03/08 10:01 PM

those direct connect connection package suggestions were dead on.

tunnels are so pretty....

you are handling the gas crisis well if tunnel rams are on your mind. at this point i consider them full scale models.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/04/08 02:30 AM

Blow it! boost is like full time NO2.
Posted By: moparborn

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/04/08 02:33 AM

I ran one on my 68rr 440.
It ran great and looked even better.
Infact I was so happy with it,I am running the setup again in my truck.

Attached picture 4403106-intake.JPG
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 04:10 AM

Quote:

I'm about to dig back into the DeSoto and rebuild the motor / trans and get it running since no one wants to buy it

I was posible I would love to buy it and restore it on its original conditions.

but is not posible

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 04:06 PM

I will keep everything under the hood , nothing poking out ..

Sounds like its not such a dumb idea ?

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 04:36 PM

I managed to hide mine, but it wasn't easy........I made some custom air filters that only stick up 3/4 inch above the carb. I hacked off the choke parts, painted everything with Eastwood carb restore, and got a 3rd place trophy last Summer. And don't disown me, but it is all under the hood of my '71 Camaro.

Attached picture 4404053-71CamaroJul10(c).jpg

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 04:37 PM

My Edelbrock..........

Attached picture 4404055-71CamaroJul10(d).jpg

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 04:44 PM

Quote:

lottsa positive answers here. even a blind man can see that.
if that ws my car, i'd be lookin to put a t-ramed 392 hemi in it.
just a thought.

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

lottsa positive answers here. even a blind man can see that.
if that ws my car, i'd be lookin to put a t-ramed 392 hemi in it.
just a thought.

Early on I had a old Hemi, then I started pricing what it would cost to build one with enough power to push the tank ..

Decided to go with old reliable ..Wish someone would adopt it but doubt that will happen so, its time to stuff more money in it and drive it

Attached picture 4404099-2003_0204decshop0027.JPG

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 05:47 PM

how long ago did you start pricing out for the first gen hemi parts?
i went here and they seem to have tons..
not too much more then for our Big Blocks. worth checking out IMO,
assuming you still have the old hemi.

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on stre - 05/04/08 06:11 PM

Depending on what route I go ..
My 440 all fresh will be around $1500.00 or less

Last one I did cost $380.00 ..

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/27/09 04:29 PM

Quote:

the one in the pics is a Weiand three two barrel tunnel ram converted to dual 4s. The top had dams installed too, much like the Direct Connection Engine Manual pages....

CrazyMoparGuy

I know I'm resorecting an old post but can you give me some more info in the Weiand? I want to do the same thing with mine for my 63 Plymouth.
What carbs did you use?

BTW It looks sweet, up till now I have not seen one installed.

Thanks
John
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/27/09 04:40 PM

Do it! I'd recommend going with a pair of Edelbrock carbs rather than the Holley carbs but either can be made to work. The Eddy carbs are just a little cheaper and easier to dial in.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/27/09 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the one in the pics is a Weiand three two barrel tunnel ram converted to dual 4s. The top had dams installed too, much like the Direct Connection Engine Manual pages....

CrazyMoparGuy

I know I'm resorecting an old post but can you give me some more info in the Weiand? I want to do the same thing with mine for my 63 Plymouth.
What carbs did you use?

Thanks
John

Your right this is an old post!!!!

Big dad, drop in a 318 with A/C, roll the windows
up and leave the hood shut. Now head down the freeway and enjoy the cruise!

John, do the same!

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/28/09 05:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

CrazyMoparGuy

What carbs did you use?

Thanks
John

HEY!
I saw this! LOL

Are you talking my Weiand 3x2bbl intake turned into a 2x4bbl ? The best carbs I ran on my truck were two 450cfm Holley center floats, I think they might have been the "Economasters" series but I'm not 100% positive.
I drove the truck year round, tons of torque, perfect drivability, and those two 450s on my Demon would pass AirCare emissions tests with flying colors, no detuning whatsoever....
I've used Edelbrocks too, which were OK, but those 450 Holleys really worked well for me. My distributor was recurved using two of the stock distributor "light" springs. Total advance was 34-36. NO vacuum advance.

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/28/09 11:32 AM

Quote:

HEY!
I saw this! LOL

Are you talking my Weiand 3x2bbl intake turned into a 2x4bbl ? The best carbs I ran on my truck were two 450cfm Holley center floats, I think they might have been the "Economasters" series but I'm not 100% positive.
I drove the truck year round, tons of torque, perfect drivability, and those two 450s on my Demon would pass AirCare emissions tests with flying colors, no detuning whatsoever....
I've used Edelbrocks too, which were OK, but those 450 Holleys really worked well for me. My distributor was recurved using two of the stock distributor "light" springs. Total advance was 34-36. NO vacuum advance.

Yes I'm going to run one of those old Weiand intakes on my 63. I plan on running Holley carbs were those 450 mechanical or vacuum secondary?

Thanks for the info.

John

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/28/09 11:36 AM

Quote:

Your right this is an old post!!!!

Big dad, drop in a 318 with A/C, roll the windows
up and leave the hood shut. Now head down the freeway and enjoy the cruise!

John, do the same!

Man I love it when people stay on subject.
Cuda, thanks for the usefull info on this subject
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/08/13 04:17 AM

Here's a MEGA to find out about the Desoto
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/08/13 05:25 AM

I'll throw in my and say that I did with no problems, basic stock 440 with bigger cam, 2 Holley 750 double pumpers, Ran good on the street but to much intake / carbs at the strip to get the most out of it with the engine I had.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/08/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

I love the tunnel ram. Everyone that rides in the car is amazed at how nice it runs on the street.

Stan

My GTX is a beast with the tunnel ram and a pair of 500 Carters. Just runs as sweet as can be with loads of torque.

Attached picture 7697990-gtx_3.jpg
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/08/13 01:04 PM

NOTHING draws a crowd like a tunnel ram with the hood off.......my favorite setup ever.......
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/08/13 06:00 PM

I picked up a Weiand tunnel ram and a pair of rebuilt 1850 Holley 600s for pretty cheap recently. So I think I'm going to give it a try for grins this summer on my 440-powered '67 Satellite.
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/08/13 09:48 PM

My old Charger with 426 Hemi and T-ram with 2 660 centersquirters was a tremendous torquer with the stock 68 solid cam, would pull from 20 mph in 4. gear up to top speed like a jet engine, managed 14 mpg at 50 mph cruising. I now have a 292 cam that looses some bottom end, but still runs great. I love Tunnelrams!
Posted By: Hailtheleaf538

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/09/13 10:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I know this is an old post, but I love it! I too would be skeptical if somebody told me that truck had a tunnel rammed 440 in it..... I like looking at reference resto hemis and what not as much as anybody, but it has gotten kinda old over the years when that's all you see. give me a story about this truck or the Cordoba anyday over the Hemi Cuda convertible.

I have never ran a tunnel ram, much because I figured it would be a huge headache to get them running right, but props to anybody with the balls to run a tunnel ram on a daily driver...Especially a work truck and a daily driver for the wife

reading through this thread has gotten me interested and almost(I said almost) makes me want to try to put one on my Swinger 340 as I get it done

Well like I said, thanks for all the info from all the guys who provided it about running a tunnel ram and setting them up. Very interesting read about real world Mopars that I wouldn't be afraid to drive for fear of having a nervous breakdown over getting a scratch.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/09/13 10:54 PM

whats everyones opinion on a single carb on a tunnel ram?

I picked up a weiand stageII with a single carb top.

I have a 600 edelbroke carb but thought a q-jet might work a little better.

it does look good sitting on the shelf though.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Old School TUNNEL RAM on 440 .can you drive on street ? - 05/10/13 04:01 AM

I love the tunnel ram on the hemi
So far no issues with it

Attached picture 7699971-2011-12-29_16.12.12.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums