Moparts

Best rust converter type product?

Posted By: idrivevintage

Best rust converter type product? - 11/29/10 05:22 AM

What would be the best way to stop rust in a seam. I've discovered a bit of rust on the tailgate of my wifes 2003 Dakota where the outer skin wraps around to the inner panel.(like on a door skin)
I wire wheeled it, coated it with some etching prime with my airbrush, then hit it with some rattle can paint that matched pretty well (silver)
Now just a few weeks later today I noticed a bit of rust stains starting again at the seam. So I guess its coming from the inside out.

There are a few slots that would allow me to pour some sort of rust converter/killer in there just not sure what to use that'll work

Any advice or tips appreciated............thanks
Posted By: astrobuf

Re: Rust in body seams................ - 11/29/10 05:55 AM

I'm afraid I have bad news. You have moisture and rust somehwere in the tailgate interior, not just the seam where you tried to treat / stop it. I'd say it's doubful you will be able to kill this short of opening up the panel.

You might slow it down though if you can figure out where and how moisture is getting into the tailgate interior? A bad gasket around a lock or latch?

If you can get into the gate interior, hose the inside of the tailgate down with some rust conversion compound, let it dry for a few days and then hose the interior down with light oil. A good freind of mine used to take his drain oil, mix it with kerosene and spray it into the interior of his Chebby pickup truck doors every fall to keep the bottoms from rotting out!

Astrobuf
Posted By: BossRide

Re: Rust in body seams................ - 11/29/10 04:15 PM

I will also add that rattle can paint is not a catalyst paint and will not properly seal out moisture for very long. You'll need a two-part paint with a hardener.

But if rust is underneath, it will not stop...
Posted By: idrivevintage

Re: Rust in body seams................ - 11/29/10 04:21 PM

Quote:

If you can get into the gate interior, hose the inside of the tailgate down with some rust conversion compound, let it dry for a few days and then hose the interior down with light oil.

Astrobuf, thanks. I can get inside there a bit via a few small slots along the bottom of the tailgate. I've changed the title of the post now hoping for recommendations on a rust converter.

Afterward pouring oil in there sounds good to me, I'd think that'd slow it down

Kind of dissapointed a 03' is starting to rust like this. just trying to keep it looking good for as long as possible.

BossRide, I hear you on the rattle can paint, it was sort of a quick fix for the time I had. It does look like its coming thru again at the seam sadly. Guess I'll have to hit the paint store and get some real paint for this one too as it looks like I'm going to be fighting a on-going battle here.

Thanks again for the advice

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Rust in body seams................ - 11/29/10 10:55 PM

Your nearest PPG dealer should be able to sell you a decent phosphoric acid based rust converter. I would hose some of that stuff in there over the course of a few days, then pour some oil in there.
Posted By: 68SportSatvert

Re: Rust in body seams................ - 12/03/10 04:38 AM

Get some Zero Rust from Resto Rick and follow his instructions. I think you thin it 50% and then pour it into the seam from the INSIDE. Problem solved.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Best rust converter type product? - 12/03/10 06:03 AM

Best way to kill that rust is to spray spme ospho or get some phosphoric acid and mix it 3:1 with water and spary it into the seams. This will get in there. After a few days of that wash it out, dry it out ; then prime and paint.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Best rust converter type product? - 12/03/10 01:13 PM

Anyone have past experience with this one?

http://www.krudkutter.com/mustrust.asp

I bought a small 8 0z bottle,
but have not tried it yet
and wondered if there were any tips or advice.

I have long term experience with
Naval Jelly,
is the Krud Kutter product same/better/worse?

For soaks I have tried Evapo-Rust, CLR, Lime-Away and they have all worked after a number of hours.

For rust conversion prior to paint I have tried Extend and Rust Bullet.

For spray on protection of non-rusted metal
"Synthetic EEZOX Premium Gun Care"
has worked well for me on tools in rough service
and I would recommend it for others to try

http://www.eezox.info/index.html
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Best rust converter type product? - 12/03/10 05:03 PM

I've found great results with "Ospho". Available at most hardware or Automotive paint stores.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Best rust converter type product? - 12/03/10 06:06 PM

Ospho cheap and easy to use.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Best rust converter type product? - 12/03/10 06:18 PM

What is this "rust" thing of which you speak?
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Best rust converter type product? - 12/03/10 06:30 PM

I have used Rustmort (SEM, I think?) a few times over the last 15 years on surface rust on floorboards & trunks. It seems to work pretty well & converts to a pretty workable surface. I did that on one trunk floor, coated it with por15 & then painted probably 10 years ago & nothing's ever come through.
© 2024 Moparts Forums