Moparts

6.1 Hemi alternator

Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

6.1 Hemi alternator - 11/24/10 08:46 AM

Installing a 6.1 Hemi in an E-body. I remember reading somewhere that the new alternator (the one used on new cars with a hemi) will work with the stock old style mopar voltage regulator. Is this true?
Also anyone has a part number for the alternator?
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: GG1charger67

Re: 6.1 Hemi alternator - 11/25/10 04:12 AM

Chrysler has changed the terminal plug connector in later model alternator(07 and newer)to a single field terminal(B circuit) and a field monitering terminal.The alternator is still externally regulated and the field is controlled by the pcm.Flat style voltage are A circuit regulators and will not work with the latest version Chrysler alternators.You can use the earliest version regulator(tall square style)that was used with the old round backs.It is a B circuit regulator,just get a solid state version.
It is really going to come down to what year of the donor car is as to what style alternator it is. Hope this helps. Jason
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: 6.1 Hemi alternator - 11/25/10 07:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I have a new assembly line engine, which came without an alternator. So if I get an earlier than 07 alternator (dual field?) it would work with the flat 70-and later mopar voltage regulator?
Posted By: GG1charger67

Re: 6.1 Hemi alternator - 11/25/10 04:51 PM

That will work ,just get a pigtail for the back of the alternator terminal connector and it will make it easier to wire up.Jason
© 2024 Moparts Forums