Moparts

1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help

Posted By: firtdog

1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/20/10 11:15 PM

I have an 1973 Duster I just got, I've been having some problems getting the headlights and tail lights to work. I've changed the HL switch the bright switch and have had no luck. I tested the bulkhead and am getting no power. Does the cluster panel have anything to do with that??
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/20/10 11:26 PM

No the dash won't keep the HL and TL from working unless you have the amp gauge disconnected. Are you getting power to the headlight switch?

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/20/10 11:36 PM

No. I have the wiring diagram and the tan wire that comes from the fuse box is dead too.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/20/10 11:43 PM

One other thing... I do have the two parking lights and front side markers working. Just cant get power to my head lights and tail lights. I am very confused.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/20/10 11:46 PM

So I must be getting some power???

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/20/10 11:58 PM

Have you checked for power at the headlight and tail light bulbs.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 12:03 AM

Yes I am getting no power. I did jump from the front park lights at the bulkhead and the head lights did come on. But everything on the other side of the bulkhead to the headlights is dead...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 12:07 AM

take the black bakelite electrical connector off of the HL sw & jump fire to the terminals on the connector which'll tell you if the prob is downstream or in the HL sw itself

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 12:09 AM

Where should I pull the power from???

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 12:17 AM

The upstream input side of the fuse box. Jumper wires w alligator clips are real handy for this

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 12:42 AM

Well I did it and can only get power to turn on my front park lights and the light for the back of the heater display. Any other ideas???

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 12:55 AM

Next thing would be to check the condition of tha blukhead connector on the firewall.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 01:03 AM

For the headlights power will go out from the HL bakelite connector down to the dimmer sw on the floor then up to the firewall bulkhead connector then on out forward to the headlights. the taillights (small filaments in the rear bulbs)are a seperate circuit & go out from the HL sw to a pull apart connector inside the dr side kick panel then rearward w 1 more pull apart connector rearward (most likely in the trunk) from that kickpanel connector to the tailights themselves. On the taillights I'd take off the dr kickpanel & jump fire to the 1 wire that feeds both taillights and if no light continue to work rearward until you find the open. On the headlights I'd pull the front half of the firewall black bulkhead connector and jump fire from the battery positive to the 1 out wire to the headlight brights and to the 1 out wire to the headlight low beams. This'll tell you if the prob (the open) is forward closer to the lights themselves or upstream back from the other (rear) half of the firewall black bulkhead down to the floor dimmer sw (I'm assuming the dimmer sw is getting fire) & if not from the DS to the HL sw. unless there's been excessive amperage flowing/frayed insulation (rare on the insulation prob) wiring goes bad (open or high resistance) at the terminals/connections at the ends

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 01:08 AM

It seems to be pretty good. Just the connectors that send the power into the engine bay are dead from the either side of the fire wall. Like I said earlier the connector for the front parking lights sends power but the other one for the headlights are dead. Where do they come from? the wiring diagram show they come from the high beam switch and the fuse box. Also I have tested the plug on the high beam switch and I get no power either. I thank you guys for what ever help I can get

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 01:15 AM

dimmer sw has 3 terminal. hot in then it's switched to either the high beam wire out or the low beam wire out. the Hot in is dead? This hot in wire is fed by & goes directly up the black bakelite pull apart connector on the HL switch.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 01:21 AM

Yes it is. I dont get anything off it

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 01:39 AM

We're dead from the HL sw down to the dimmer sw. If you jump to each of the "out" wires at the dimmer sw & you have (bright/dim) headlights and if you jump fire to the 1 wire in the connector at the HL sw and you have lights then the HL sw (or possibly the female terminal in the connector) is bad

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 01:41 AM

I'll try that. Thanks again!

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 04:19 AM

Do you guys know what the #1 fuse is for in my 73?

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 08:55 PM

Got the head lights and tail lights working. Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be the autoparts store sold me a bad bright switch. But now I still cant get break lights or turn signals to work. What should I do to trouble shoot that?

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 09:02 PM

Check for power at the brake light switch. Push the pedal and see if you have power at both sides of the switch. For the trun signals make sure you have power at the flasher. It feeds the switch. You will have two flashers. One for the T/S and one for the emergency lights.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 09:13 PM

I have emegency light power but when i flip the turn signal it doesnt even tick. Where do I find the switch for the turn signal. I get no power for the brakes

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 09:17 PM

Try up around the radio or steering column. If you have no brake lights check your fuses. I thought you said eariler you had a wiring diagram?

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/21/10 10:19 PM

I do have the wiring diagram, but it throws me off a little. Found the stopo switch have power on one side but not on the other even when pushing the peddle. Bought a new switch because the lights light up when I jump the wires. I hope this works...

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/22/10 01:40 AM

Well I have the lights working:hl, tl, sml and replaced the stop switch and the brake lights work now. Thanks for all your help guys. Now I work on the blinkers. I have hazard lights but no turn signals. I got the turn signal switch and assume I must take the steering wheel apart??????

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/22/10 01:50 AM

Quote:

I got the turn signal switch and assume I must take the steering wheel apart??????

yes. Rent a puller

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/22/10 05:05 AM

Did you check for power at the turn signal flasher? Remember there are two different flashers on your car. If you don't have power then replacing the switch is a waste of time.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/22/10 05:32 AM

Where on the diagram is that?

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/23/10 01:02 AM

I got power to the flasher, but I still dont have the turn signals. When I turn on the hazards they flash but not when I turn on the turn signals.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/23/10 01:58 AM

Are you sure you have the right flasher? The one that you have power to does it click when you turn the emergency lights on. If it does then you need to keep looking until you find the other one and see if it has power.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/23/10 02:02 AM

Yeah I finally figured out the diagram. I was testing the wrong one. Thanks. I will find it shortly and test it.

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/23/10 02:44 AM

Thanks alot, you just saved me a load of work. I found the plug it was under the glove box, and it didnt even have a flasher in it. all the lights are working good. Thanks again. This is probally the best website I have ever found!!!

Re: 1973 Duster wirnig issues...Help - 11/23/10 03:03 AM

Glad you got everything working.
© 2024 Moparts Forums