Moparts

Brighter headlights?

Posted By: Anonymous

Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 05:09 AM

Anyone install these new high tech headlights? Like PIAA or other brands who offer bright white or something like that?

If so, do they really work? I got cheapies in my car and they are terrible....
Posted By: dragaddict

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 05:34 AM

What car are you changing? On a 69 B body we installed halogen bulbs but requires the use of a relay system or will burn up something [everything?] in the circuit. Not real hard to do and a possitive upgrade.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 06:04 AM

Cheap H4 light housings with poorly designed lenses are no better than stockers (if even as good) though higher wattage bulbs (along with relays) will at least make them brighter... I run Hella lights with PIAA Xtreme White bulbs with relays.. The difference is amazing...
Posted By: dragaddict

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 06:11 AM

Allow me to run this just slightly of topic just a bit. What about tailights also. I really like the idea of better headlights but a decent set of tailghts that still look like they belong in an old car would be a nice compliment the the fronts. Any luck on this and would you relay tailights?
Back to your normally schedualed post

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 06:53 AM

Adding relays to the tail lights might offer slight improvement but actually adding headlight relays will help the tail lights almost as much by removing the major draw on the light circuit... It also helps the bulkhead connector.. I use relays for the headlights, high speed setting on the heater- A/C blower & on my power windows.. The lower draw circuits see less voltage drop so they also work better...
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 07:12 AM

I agree--headlight relays helps a bunch.

The big problem for all older Mopars is and has been the bulkhead connector, and marginally sized wire. So far as tail/ turn lamps, it really doesn't take that much effort to pull new wire from tail to front, and possibly eliminating or upgrading the connector in the kick panel
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 12:18 PM

I have read that the old trick was to simply use larger wire from the switch directly to the headlights bypassing the bulkhead connector.
This along with some good quality sealed beam replacements should make quite a difference.

I've always installed new headlights in my old cars and they make quite a difference. I'm going to try upgrading the wire and see if that helps even more. It's cheap so I'll bite.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 02:39 PM

Quote:

Allow me to run this just slightly of topic just a bit. What about tailights also. I really like the idea of better headlights but a decent set of tailghts that still look like they belong in an old car would be a nice compliment the the fronts. Any luck on this and would you relay tailights?
Back to your normally schedualed post

I did the Hella H4 upgrade to my 68 charger. For tails, I didn't like any of the pics that others posted of the bulb upgrades. I actually found a company that was selling 68 charger tailight lenses with LED's built in. I'll give you that when they are on, they don't even come come close to looking stock, but they are very bright. looking at them during non-lighting situations, can't tell the difference from stock.

You could definitely make something yourself by buying some sort of LED light assembly and fab it into your existing tailights. for a 68 charger, not that this helps a lot of people, go over to dodgecharger and look up a member norwaycharger. He has 68 LED's that look pretty stock when lit up, but they are very bright. they are about 400 bucks too so that's something to consider.

For the OP, listen to these guys. don't waste your time rigging projector headlight into your old car. The new car setups are engineered so the light source and the lens/housing work together. Unless you spent really cubic dollars, you will end up looking like a tool and not getting the most out of it. The Hella H4 housings will be "light" years ahead of stock and they will work properly without blinding other drivers.
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 04:08 PM

Quote:

I have read that the old trick was to simply use larger wire from the switch directly to the headlights bypassing the bulkhead connector.

This does nothing to remove the amp load from the HL switch which is another weak link. Switch failures are not uncommon. Adding amp load to 40 year old switch is asking for trouble. Relays are the way to go. Get the amp load off as much of that old wiring as possible.

Regarding tail lamps, LEDs are probably your best option for reducing the amp load.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 04:30 PM

Clean ALL connections esp the bulkhead. Better bulbs/use relays (imo feed the head lights from the alt side)/dont do anything that will increase the draw thru the bulkhead
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/20/10 04:52 PM

Quote:

feed the head lights from the alt side

good point
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/21/10 08:57 PM

I did the H4 upgrade with Xenon bulbs and its a world of a difference. You cannot even compare it to what was stock. I just built a wiring harness out of 12g wire with some relays and all is good. One of the best mods on my car.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 12:21 AM

I just ordered a pair of the Bosch headlight lens reflectors, a pair of Phillips Vision Plus bulbs and a nicely made 14 gauge headlight wiring harnesses from Suvlights.com

http://suvlights.com/index.php

I could have saved about $25 if I built my own harness, but with tax and shipping, the total for everything came to just over $152 and it's plug and play with very nice quality components.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 02:37 AM

Quote:

What car are you changing? On a 69 B body we installed halogen bulbs but requires the use of a relay system or will burn up something [everything?] in the circuit. Not real hard to do and a possitive upgrade.

You should use relays to control headlights but current draw is not the reason. (Hella H4s on high beams draw 30% less current than the tungsten bulbs the car came with.)
The reason is to use relays to shorten the high current path to the shortest length possible. This preserves switches, connectors and wiring. The lamps actually draw less current than the car's lights were designed to use.
4002 headlamp draws 8 amps on high. Hella H4 draws 5 amps.
Craig
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 03:24 AM

do that make a harness for use with stock bulbs?

Quote:

I just ordered a pair of the Bosch headlight lens reflectors, a pair of Phillips Vision Plus bulbs and a nicely made 14 gauge headlight wiring harnesses from Suvlights.com

I could have saved about $25 if I built my own harness, but with tax and shipping, the total for everything came to just over $152 and it's plug and play with very nice quality components.

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 03:25 AM

Quote:

do that make a harness for use with stock bulbs?

Quote:

It would be the same as the one for upgraded bulbs...

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 03:27 AM

i went to that site and cant see what harness would work on a old mopar

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 03:34 AM

I went there too & wasn't very impressed... If I could find the female socket connectors that would plug into the original headlight plugs I'd be inclined to build & market a properly designed drop in kit....

Actually I just went to Ebay & there are some that look reasonable..
Four light system...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-Relay-...3#ht_1213wt_691

Two light system
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-Relay-..._Truck_Parts_Ac

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 04:09 AM

Quote:

I went there too & wasn't very impressed... If I could find the female socket connectors that would plug into the original headlight plugs I'd be inclined to build & market a properly designed drop in kit....

Four light system...

Two light system

You're kidding right? Those ebay set-ups don't even come close to these US made ones from Suvlights. For only $5 more than the Chinese ones, take a look at the features on the Suvlights harnesses and compare then to the picture of Chinese ones you've listed.

Suvlights harness:
2 OEM Bosch/Tyco AMP (Potter & Brumfield) or equivalent 50 amp relays (single & dual 87 outputs)
Heavy Duty interlocking relay sockets with mounting tab
Fusible link (slow reacting fuse protection) & separate fuses (fast reacting) with 12 gauge heavy duty automotive wiring
Black split loom matches OEM to protect against heat and elements
Male connector(s) to plug into existing headlight socket
(2 or 4) new heat resistant headlight sockets (depending on application)
The Heavy Duty models are 14 gauge (can power a pair of 130 Watt bulbs) while the Super Heavy Duty model is 12 gauge and uses 4 relays.

Here's a pic of the ebay ones complete with 30 amp Chinese relays and yellow wire looms? Are they even fused?

Attached picture 6313792-h4wireharness(Large).jpg

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 04:16 AM

Quote:

i went to that site and cant see what harness would work on a old mopar

I'm putting these parts on a 1970 Barracuda. Are you upgrading the headlights or just adding relays to the exsisting bulbs? Dual or quad headlights?

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 04:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Four light system...

Two light system

You're kidding right? Those ebay set-ups don't even come close to these US made ones from Suvlights. For only $5 more than the Chinese ones, take a look at the features on the Suvlights harnesses and compare then to the picture of Chinese ones you've listed.

Suvlights harness:
2 OEM Bosch/Tyco AMP (Potter & Brumfield) or equivalent 50 amp relays (single & dual 87 outputs)
Heavy Duty interlocking relay sockets with mounting tab
Fusible link (slow reacting fuse protection) & separate fuses (fast reacting) with 12 gauge heavy duty automotive wiring
Black split loom matches OEM to protect against heat and elements
Male connector(s) to plug into existing headlight socket
(2 or 4) new heat resistant headlight sockets (depending on application)
The Heavy Duty models are 14 gauge (can power a pair of 130 Watt bulbs) while the Super Heavy Duty model is 12 gauge and uses 4 relays.

Here's a pic of the ebay ones complete with 30 amp Chinese relays and yellow wire looms? Are they even fused?

So where on the site you linked did that exist? All I saw was generic stuff designed to scotch-loc in place... The only reason I grabbed the Ebay listed harness was it is designed as plug n play.. Which the one you just link also does... But it wasn't easily found on the page you linked..

Ok I looked again.. Thats nice written text but the $25.00 harness pictured is designed to be used with scotch-loc connectors..

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 04:42 AM

stock blubs, 74 cuda and 70 challenger

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 05:29 AM

I'm sorry for being a smart azt, 1 Wild RT. The headlight harnesses are listed under headlight wiring harnesses section, just keep clicking on the picture of the harness and you'll get there. I can't find the scotchlock harness you're referring to, but that doesn't sound good to me either.

Oh, I found it, but that's for fog or driving lights only.

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 05:32 AM

Quote:

stock blubs, 74 cuda and 70 challenger

Give them a call and they should be able to give you the correct one.

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 05:39 AM

John, when you get your parts please post pictures.. If the harness is plug & play I know quite a few people that would be interested.. & I'm hoping it is a good part.. The description sounds good, the picture doesn't look encouraging..

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 06:33 AM

It's supposed to be a decent one. I found the vendor here on Moparts. Some folks were happy with the quality etc. I'll get some pics posted of them once their here and installed.

I may break down and get a new M&H harness for the front lights etc from Mega Parts. If so, it will be after Turkey day. I'm out in the garage putting in an M&H rear light harness now, between Moparts sessions that is. The quality and authenticity of the M&H harnesses is outstanding!
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/22/10 09:09 PM

www.rallylights.com

IF your stock wiring is known to be in good shape AND you are using relays, you don't need to do much upgrading in my experience. I've used Hella H4 E-code conversion headlamps on my '77 B-200, '77 Aspen wagon, '90 Astro and '83 Toyota 4x4 pickup with no issues.

I've found the 55/60W versions offer plenty of light, too, and Suquehanna (see link above) has a great description of why E-code (Europoean light pattern) lenses are superior to U.S. DOT lenses, which I agree with.

Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/23/10 03:10 AM

If you convert to H4 bulbs, a 9003 will have a better pattern.

After cleaning or replacing connectors and its still dim, check the condition of your floor dimmer switch.
Posted By: Todd_DesMarais

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/24/10 02:57 AM

everyone should go to this site and read. He has a P.H.D. and is known as the "lighting Guru",......... Of course, he also sells what he preaches, but the read is worth it. I opted for the E-code lights (European standard, MUCH better than DOT in light quality, focus, cut off, etc. and has higher standards than DOT) but the car is not on the road yet A relay system with redundant relays which uses the factory harness only as the trigger, is the BEST way to approach the lighting issue.

Todd

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/24/10 03:19 AM

I don't think he's a PHD, but he does know his stuff.
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/24/10 03:36 AM

I still run the old Ehrenberg aircraft landing lamps
Posted By: radar

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/24/10 06:34 PM

Dan Stern sold me a complete upgrade setup for my demon. It has the cibie (spell?) housings, replaceable bulbs, ceramic plugs, and relays. My headlights are awesome and not in anybodies eyes. They're not blue or Honda civic tuner looking either. You can usually find him on the slantsix.org board.
Rdr

Re: Brighter headlights? - 11/24/10 06:39 PM

There's a lot of high quality lighting education on his site, and he has one stop shopping for excellent parts to build your own harnesses.
© 2024 Moparts Forums