Moparts

Mini-Starter Installation

Posted By: 65pacecar

Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 05:27 AM

Installing a mini-starter on a friends 383 and when I try to put the starter on the lower stud it will stop short about A 1/4" from sitting flush, if I remove the lower stud I can get the starter to sit flush but then I cannot get the stud to start. Any Ideas, I have installed mini-starters before without any issues, never seen this scenario. The starter is a new Denso unit bought from Mancini a few years ago that he is just getting around to using.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 05:56 AM

I have had this very same problem with other mini starters. I was told that the centering nose that is supposed to fit into the bellhousing needed to be filed down a little. Be careful though, as removing too much will result in incorrect clearance and the starter will grind.
Posted By: 71scamp440

Re: Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 02:48 PM

i had to grind the block a small amount to get mine to fit correctly.(74 400 cid) i didnt need to grind the nose cone in my case.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 02:53 PM

Quote:

i had to grind the block a small amount to get mine to fit correctly.(74 400 cid) i didnt need to grind the nose cone in my case.

Same hear on a 440!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 03:53 PM

From the tech archives. Read down at the bottom.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 05:30 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 07:18 PM

There are actually 2 part #'s from Ma Mopar,one for small block & one for big block.DON"T ask how I know.Well,I smoked a starter at the track and bought a mini from one of the venders{MOPAR event @ e/town}Spent 1.5 hours grinding & fitting untill it went in & bolted up.Found out afterwards about the 2 different mini's
Posted By: Junky

Re: Mini-Starter Installation - 11/18/10 08:52 PM

A few years ago I walked in to Auto Zone and purchased a starter for a 1992 Dakota 318 engine. Bolted up with no problems to my 383. Life time warranty. Works great.
© 2024 Moparts Forums