Moparts

Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans-UPDATE

Posted By: 68Cbarge

Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans-UPDATE - 11/15/10 04:59 AM

I have been doing some maitenance on my 73 Satellite wagon.
My FSM does not show the intitial timing.
It says "refer to vehicle emissions placard under the hood'
Well the placard is long gone.
I checked the timing and it is set at ZERO.
I need to know what it should be set at.
It is a stock 318 with 3 speed manual trans.
I will be replacing the worn out original 2bbl carb,and I already installed dual exhaust.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 05:09 AM

10-12* at idle with the vacuum line at the distributer disconnected and plugged should be a good start.
Posted By: Moparzrule

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 11:11 AM

Put a vacuum gauge on manifold vacuum, unplug the dist vacuum advance and advance the dist at idle until the gauge won't go any higher, then back the timing off until the gauge drops 1".

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 01:02 PM

Quote:

10-12* at idle with the vacuum line at the distributer disconnected and plugged should be a good start.

BTC?? OR ATC???

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 01:15 PM

Quote:

Put a vacuum gauge on manifold vacuum, unplug the dist vacuum advance and advance the dist at idle until the gauge won't go any higher, then back the timing off until the gauge drops 1".

Very funny,LOL!! But I am not that "retarded" LOL!!
Posted By: MonGoo$e

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 01:20 PM

BTC
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 01:50 PM

And make sure your mechanical advance is not stuck. (should be able to twist rotor a little clockwise, and it should spring back).
Posted By: topside

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 05:36 PM

I usually run 10 - 12 initial advance in motors of that era, more responsive & picks up the MPG a bit; if you want to run 87 octane in the car, that might be a bit much. Cool car.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 09:56 PM

Quote:

& while you are doing this keep bringing the idle speed back to where it needs to be. this'll be the correct initial for your particular eng then the slots need to be shortened to keep you from going over 35 total (checked w vac adv disconnected). If this proper "vacuum gauge" method to arrive at the correct initial setting now causes you to ping either shorten the slots (to 35 total) or back off the initial you just arrived at until you can shorten the slots. If not wanting to do the correct vac gauge method what Stump said 10-12 before TDC is a good ballpark

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 10:00 PM

That vacuum and slot change is way too much jacking around for a stock daily driver.

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/15/10 10:17 PM

Quote:

That vacuum and slot change is way too much jacking around for a stock daily driver.

Oh Stump I was agreeing w you. 10-12 is going to be close and alot better than TDC & yes (much) faster

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/16/10 01:38 AM

Thanks guys!
My last 318 car did work best at 12 degrees in my 87 Diplomat.I was not sure of there were any differences compared to my 73.
A recurve is in the works later on.I did recurves in the past with positive results.

For now,I am working with what I got.
I run 91 octane always.I get better MPG and go longer in between fill ups.
I did put in 87 octane once when there was nothing else available and she deiseled and smoked---not liking it at all.Never again.

I am averaging 21 MPG with the goal of getting 24 on the highway.
A recurve,new carb,and some fine tuning will help meet my goal.
Thanks again.

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/16/10 01:39 AM

Quote:

And make sure your mechanical advance is not stuck. (should be able to twist rotor a little clockwise, and it should spring back).

it's working.
I checked it.Thanks

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/16/10 01:48 AM

At TDC plus (probably) a slow curve I'm surprised it's not running hot and no power

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/16/10 02:32 AM

Quote:

At TDC plus (probably) a slow curve I'm surprised it's not running hot and no power

She was running a wee bit warm.Halfway on the temp guage.Stat opens up and drops just above the first mark.Fan shroud is missing and I am looking for one.
She is a cold blooded 318,though.Will not drive unless fully warmed up--or stall city.
I shift from first to second at 20 MPH,then to third at 40 MPH and she pulls good all the way to 80 MPH.
Thinking about it,you may be right about the slow curve.
The clutch feels tight and no slip at all.
I will bump her timing up and see what happens..

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/16/10 02:44 AM

Quote:

She is a cold blooded 318,though.Will not drive unless fully warmed up--or stall city.

May have choke issues also. '73 was (by far)the worst year for emission confusion/experimentation that Ma ever had & almost a guarantee of poor driveability probs if everything is (kept)stock
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/16/10 04:33 AM

Quote:

...She is a cold blooded 318,though.Will not drive unless fully warmed up--or stall city.

It might be time to pull the intake manifold and clean out the exhaust crossover passage. With a cold engine, start it up and feel how fast the area of the choke coil warms up.
Posted By: Moparzrule

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/16/10 07:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Very funny,LOL!! But I am not that "retarded" LOL!!

Too "retarded" to learn something new, or should I say old?

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/19/10 04:20 AM

Filled her up today.I was still running on the tank I filled in Toronto Saturday!!
She was thirsty,though.70.00 worth of 91 octane 63.03 litres or 16.65 gallons
With the fresh gas in her belly,I wanted to check the timing.
The trip to Toronto she started to deisel and was running hot,and took a bit of effort to get up to speed.
Timing was found at TDC or zero.vacuum was low and could come up a bit.
basically,timing was retarded.
I cranked her up at 7 degrees BTC.Vacuum jumped to a rock steady 20 inches on the nose.
I dropped the idle down to normal and the vacuum stayed at 20.
She now very responsive.I took her for a drive and made sure she did not ping...no ping under a load up a hill.no need to downshift...lots of torque,no clutch slip..That's good.
No flat spot...even much better.
I have not yet dumped the clutch and lay rubber.
The condition of the clutch is unknown and I am not about to find out.
Maybe 10 degrees would be better? Being a standard trans,not much more may be??
First, I will try this for a day or two and see.
Plugs are tan in color with some light deposits,(running a tad lean ,sign of getting hot.)
Plug Gap at 35 thou.

Waygun purrs now..You can put a sleeping baby on the air cleaner and not wake up.

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/19/10 04:55 AM

Kick it up to 10* and if that feels good then go to 12* and see.

Re: Need timing info 1973 318 manual trans - 11/19/10 05:09 AM

Thanks.
My friend who owns a 73 D100 has a underhood placard and it shows timing should be set at zero--where it was before I jacked it up.

I will be driving to Watertown,NY this Sunday and will top up the tank and calculate my MPG and see if the bump has helped or hindered my MPG.
© 2024 Moparts Forums