Moparts

best way to clean an oil pan?

Posted By: sharpie

best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 04:17 PM

I just picked one up from the junkyard and need to clean both the inside and outside for my new motor. What's the best thing to use? Remember, I'm in CA so I probably can't get a lot of the solvents that are stronger than B-12 Chemtool or Brakleen.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 04:20 PM

scraper, wire wheel and brakeclean. I did this one awhile ago and never used it. Rusting a little from humidity.

Attached picture 4653615-pan.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 04:40 PM

Drown it in dishsoap and let it soak in and then wash it with hot water and a scrub brush. Repeat until clean.
Posted By: D_C

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 04:41 PM

Lots of ways to go. I'd likely use Oven-Cleaner, Degreaser, soak in water/ laundry-detergent, scrub with bristle-brush and steel-wool scouring pads, etc. You can remove old paint with "Aircraft" Paint Remover.

An engine-rebuild shop could either hot-tank (if still available) or use their more environmentally sensitive alternative cleaning systems.

Another choice might be Media (Sand) blasting followed by washing in soapy-water to remove any residual grit, ... lots of choices.

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 05:13 PM

Thanks for the answers, guys. I'll probably go with the old dishsoap-soak and brakekleen/wire brush scrub
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 05:16 PM

Use lot's of hot hot water to rinse and if it has baffles be sure they are clean underneath.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 05:26 PM

1. Use a paint scraper or and coarse steel wool and remove everything caked on.
2. Take it to a self service car wash and and remove anything that will wash off.
3. Spray it down with easy-off oven cleaner.
4. Let it sit for 1 hr.
5. When the wife isn't looking!! put it in the dishwasher with lots of dish washer detergent on pots and pans cycle.
Repeat steps 3-5 until it is clean.
After you are done, cycle the dishwasher empty to clean out any residue you may have left.
You may have to remove the upper basket.
This procedure is fine for anything that will fit in the dishwasher.
I have used it for heads, bell housing, carb, engine sheet metal, and do not forget the 727 cleaning.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 05:29 PM

Quote:

5. When the wife isn't looking!! put it in the dishwasher with lots of dish washer detergent on pots and pans cycle.
Repeat steps 3-5 until it is clean.
After you are done, cycle the dishwasher empty to clean out any residue you may have left.
You may have to remove the upper basket.
This procedure is fine for anything that will fit in the dishwasher.
I have used it for heads, bell housing, carb, engine sheet metal, and do not forget the 727 cleaning.

I'm installing a dishwasher in the garage for this next to the oven.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 05:30 PM

Easy off oven cleaner,first, then wash off with high pressure soapy water, then when wife is gone, put it in the dish washer.

If this method fails, then take it to an auto shop and have it vatted

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 08/31/08 06:14 PM

I took the brakleen and a cloth to it yesterday and most of the inside looks like it'll rinse. I think I should be fine with a good spray and wash and then brakleen to finish it off.
Posted By: Reverend_Ron

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/01/08 01:10 AM

This method will only cost about $44.72....
Give the wife cash to go shopping; two twenties are always nice. The $4.72 will be apparent shortly. As she leaves the drive way, throw the oil pan in the dishwasher - add 2 tbsps of GOJO in the pre-wash reservoir and 5.5 onces of solvent in the main wash reservoir and select Pots & Pans Wash Cycle. Crack open a beer and get on Moparts.com to ask a few more questions. After beer three and some great advice from mopar-brothers world wide - your oil pan will be ready for install. Smartly throw in all the dishes lying in the sink and head on back out to the garage.... she'll never be none the wiser!!!!
Posted By: chewy

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/01/08 01:22 AM

Thats what I was going to suggest.

My wife caught me washing car parts in the dishwasher once. It wasnt pretty.
Posted By: pyp1000

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/01/08 02:38 PM

What kind of beer are you buying for $4.72?
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/01/08 03:04 PM

Quote:

What kind of beer are you buying for $4.72?

Sounds like the kind that will require $1.00 worth of advil the next day.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/02/08 01:51 AM

I use mineral spirits in my parts cleaner. I assume they still allow mineral sprits in CA.
Easy on the hands and will clean off the oil in a flash..
Posted By: Posest

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/02/08 03:46 AM

I am banned from the dishwasher because of this. Threw in a set of valve covers and was drinking beer out in the garage. Too many beers and I forgot all about the valve covers. The next day wife opened up the dishwasher to get a coffee cup or something. Morning after many beers and 3 hours sleep waking up to a pissed off wife is not good. Needless to say she got a new dishwasher.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/02/08 04:01 AM

EZ-Off heavy duty oven cleaner here too, along with a stiff scrubbing brush.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: best way to clean an oil pan? - 09/02/08 04:04 AM

Having Acces to one of these...Priceless...

© 2024 Moparts Forums