Moparts

Is anyone running a CS144 alternator on their bigblock?

Posted By: jbc426

Is anyone running a CS144 alternator on their bigblock? - 11/11/10 02:17 AM

If you are, did you have any issues with the install? I know it's a Delco-Remy product, but the thing puts out between 80 and over 100 amps at idle, 140 amps stock, can be reliably modified to put out over 200 amps and is easily adapted to the big block Mopar mount with a simple add-on bracket. I found it too hard to pass up, especially since I've added a significant amp load with fuel pump, fans, MSD ignition, A/C etc.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Is anyone running a CS144 alternator on their bigblock? - 11/11/10 06:21 PM

Most Mopar lovers may not be that familiar with this alternator, it is the latest sweetheart for the power-hungry, high-output alternator crowd. These alternators come on many late model GM trucks, Silverados, Escalades, Tahoes etc.

I discovered it while doing research on upgrading and wiring my electrical system. The ball started rolling in this direction after I started talking with Mark Hamilton of Mad Electrical. As you may know, he's not at all impressed wtih the idle output of any of the Mopar alternators, their amp guages and related wiring layouts.

I've taken his years of experience one step further by going with a high-output, remote-voltage sensing CS144 alternator instead of the 12si or CS130 alternators he's fond of.

Another tip for my fellow Mopar brothers and sisters, is regarding sourcing electrical accessories such as wire and cable lugs, fused DC power distribution components and high amperage fusable battery accessories. I found most of the parts I am using to upgrade, route, distribute and fuse my high-current portion of my electrical system at marine parts stores.

That's right. Boat and ship makers have some really nice, heavy-duty components that are Coast-Guard approved in many cases for safely wiring the high-current DC electrical systems such as we have in our cars once we start adding electrical accessories. I also found them to be better made, corrosion and moisture resistant/proof and much more reasonably priced in a lot of instances.

Do a little search on Google for marine grade electrical accessories the next time your thinking of tinkering with your electrical system. They have some cool things available there that I have never seen available elsewhere such as high-amp, battery terminal fuse block studs and well-though-out high-amp fused DC distribution panels.

It's really worth a look. Here's a picture of the main DC power distribution hub on my project in progess. I made a plate to mount everything that bolts onto the stock battery tray mounts. I don't like drilling extra holes in the car and avoid it whenever I can. -Notice the little fused panel to the right of the Spal fan controller- cool 'eh & cheap!

I'll post some more once I move forward in this process of installing more DC power-related stuff including some of the marine grade fusing saftey features. The CS 144 is at the alternator shop getting upgraded with heavy duty voltage regulator, bridge rectifier and stator. I'll post some pictures of it on here when I get them too.

Attached picture 6296464-IMG_1351(Large).JPG
Posted By: challengermike

Re: Is anyone running a CS144 alternator on their bigblock? - 11/14/10 12:22 AM

I havnt done a cs144 but i did do a cs130 on my 69 coronet with a 440.It was easy with no special brakets,just some grinding on the adjust arm and made a spacer to bolt it to the head.

Attached picture 6300295-l62.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums