Moparts

"over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck

Posted By: The70RTChallenge

"over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/10/10 04:51 PM

I know there are probably 20 postings already about this kind of topic in this forum, but none of them simply get anything accross or established for me. I just bought a rusty 85' w350 that needs fenders ,rockers and doors. The underside is scalely but no rot. Just looking for the quickest and easiest fix for this. Saw a friend using cheap rubber beaded bed liner. But that just covers it and doesn't last long and possibly makes it worse. Want no prep involved. Don't have a lift or rottisery to get under it. Thanks moparts
Posted By: feets

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/10/10 05:35 PM

Quote:

Want no prep involved. Don't have a lift or rottisery to get under it. Thanks moparts

Get a different truck.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/10/10 07:42 PM

In the same paragraph you used the words: "rust", "underside", "no lift", "no prep", "quick", and "easy".

Then, the solution is simple: Pray for a miracle.

You're welcome.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/10/10 07:52 PM

Quote:

In the same paragraph you used the words: "rust", "underside", "no lift", "no prep", "quick", and "easy".

Then, the solution is simple: Pray for a miracle.

This is something that everyone here would like to find. AND if anyone has they aren't sharing.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/10/10 10:26 PM

There is no hose-on, cure-all product. You will have to at the very least get the truck up on jackstands, get under there and clean the underside of the truck. With a truck you are lucky in that you can take the body off the frame and have good access to nicely clean up the frame and can turn over the body sections to get at them. Sorry that's the only real way to do it. You need to clean the rust off and the dirt off. Nothing's going to stick over dirt and loose rust.
Posted By: crlush

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 02:43 AM

por-15 is your best bet, but your going to atleast have to take it to a car wash and spray the underside, and when it dries atleast knock off the rust scale before painting the por-15 on. then pray for a mirracle
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 04:12 AM

Quote:

por-15 is your best bet

POR-15 doesn't stick to a properly prepped surface, nevermind one just blasted at the car wash.
Posted By: ahy

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 05:02 AM

Minimum prep is pressure wash/de-grease followed by scrape and wire brush to remove loose scale and loose paint. Next is primer - Rustoleum red, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator or Rust Bullet. I have personally used Rustoleum and Eastwood with good results. Then a coat of SG black (Rustoleum or similar). Undercoat optional after the primer.
Posted By: JR 540

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 06:56 AM

Slather it with grease,oil or gear lube and I mean get it everywhere.
Posted By: 71scamp440

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 07:02 PM

chassis saver by magnet paints is made to stick to rust. just get off the loose flakes and brush it on.

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 09:04 PM

Get one from Texas, NM, AZ, CA, or OK. Fly in and drive it home. Sell what you've got.

My 92 D250 is packing 273,000 miles and doesn't have a spot of rust on the body. It's been in Texas all it's life other than my road trips to 34 other states.
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 11:20 PM

Quote:

Get one from Texas, NM, AZ, CA, or OK. Fly in and drive it home. Sell what you've got.

My 92 D250 is packing 273,000 miles and doesn't have a spot of rust on the body. It's been in Texas all it's life other than my road trips to 34 other states.

Yep. After fighting with rusted garbage for decades where I grew up in the eastern Canada (rust central) I will travel far and pay a premium for vehicles that have never seen a snowflake. You will thank yourself every time you go to fix anything on it.

Attached picture 6296984-DCP01168.JPG
Posted By: Stanton

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my truck - 11/11/10 11:24 PM

Let's face it, we're talking "beater" here right ?!?! Then forget all the POR15's, Rust Bullet's and any other sh*t that involves labor. Get it oil-sprayed and be done with it.
Posted By: The70RTChallenge

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my tr - 11/12/10 12:36 PM

I think at most I'll be able to get it with a pressure washer and then wire brush and wire wheel. The majority of the underside. Thanks for your opinions everyone.

Re: "over rust" liners for the WHOLE underside of my tr - 11/12/10 08:14 PM

If you take a wire wheel to the truck you're going to need something GOOD to cover that bare metal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums