Moparts

Power steering pump making noise, safe to drive?

Posted By: 71blueduster

Power steering pump making noise, safe to drive? - 08/29/08 11:52 PM

My power steering pump on my 99 Dakota started making noise yesterday. A rattling sound when the engine is running. Kind of like a bearing or something going out. Its making the noise, but the pulley is still solid and doesn't have any play in it, the power steering still works fine.

I was planning on making a 100 mile trip, so would it be safe to drive it or should I not risk it breaking down on me? The shops I called were all filled up today, and I don't have all the tools to fix it myself.
Posted By: Moonraker

Re: Power steering pump making noise, safe to drive? - 08/30/08 01:03 AM

Maybe, maybe not mechanical things like bearings/bushings can go out slow or go boom . Being that its a serpentine belt if it does crap out theres no way to by pass like you could with the old V-belt setup . Check your fluid level if you havent already, could be low . If it were me and I had no other way.... ...I'd drive it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Power steering pump making noise, safe to drive? - 08/30/08 01:03 AM

The PS pump in my former 83 cordoba had a slow leak & when it got to a point it would emit a low pitched growl & that was my cue to top her off.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Power steering pump making noise, safe to drive? - 08/30/08 01:21 AM

Are you sure it's the pump and not the idler pulley?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Power steering pump making noise, safe to drive? - 08/30/08 05:13 AM

I just replaced the idler pulley on my 97 ram. That thing was making a heck of loud bearing noise. Check the water pump too they can make that noise. Mike
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Power steering pump making noise, safe to drive? - 08/30/08 05:47 AM

If it was the old v-belt style, I'd say pop off the belt and go, while 'enjoying' the added firmness of a dead PS system. But with the serpentine setup, if something seizes and you pop a belt in the middle of nowhere, you are SOL.
© 2024 Moparts Forums