Moparts

Getting rust off Crank

Posted By: cornet684me

Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 05:26 AM

i just bought a motor that has been rebuilt and sitting on a pallet under plastic for 2years, everything looks great has been oiled and rotated regularly, the only rust i visablty see is on the front of the crank where the crank damper goes, how can i get this rust off, i was thinking about taking some 600 grit and lightly sanding with some wd40 oil?

Attached picture 6276805-resizedfullmotorshot.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 05:52 AM

steel wool pad

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 05:56 AM

do i put some oil on it and use the triple 000fine?

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 05:59 AM

I'd use solvent & not sure of the grit but the finer the better as long as it'll cut what your trying to remove (the rust in this case)

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 06:12 AM

i will try this tommorrow,

thanks
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 07:02 AM

You don't need to worry about using such fine paper. Even, I donnooo, 120g should be fine. You don't need to get it absolutely "chrome," just clean off the rust so you can get the damper on, and there's no debri that'll make it into the pan
Posted By: kimphall

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 07:24 AM

Have you tried CLR or Naval Jelly? They work really well without the concern for removing material. Let it sit, then fine steel wool it to clean up the surface.

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 07:31 AM

grab a steel wool pad w the soap in it from your kitchen & dip it in solvent & it'll be rust free in no time
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Getting rust off Crank - 10/31/10 02:11 PM

Quote:

grab a steel wool pad w the soap in it from your kitchen & dip it in solvent & it'll be rust free in no time

or some crocus cloth. This is an area that isn't real particular. Just so that the damper slides on slightly snug, it is not a press fit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums