Moparts

Best combo for mileage?

Posted By: MoPar Jamie

Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 05:27 AM

Ok guys, this is mostly carb related but I also have a set of 302 heads at my disposal, the motor in my '86 5th Ave has bottom end issues.

The vehicle is my 1975 D-100 shorty pickup. It has a stock '83 318 2-v with under 100k backed by an A-833OD iron case tranny out of a '76. The rear is original to the frame, an 8 1/4 with 3.55 gears. I am running manual steering and no A/C.

Dry weight without a driver is 3600 lbs, as I took a load of breakage over the scales recently. I'm usually packing tools and parts that add around 100-150 lbs to that. Not to mention my weight that I wont mention.

At first I was getting close to 15 mpg not tuned. Its gone downhill because the re-manned BBD is starting to get cranky. It runs ok but rich and the main gasket is starting to seep.

Anyway I'd like to find the best combo for mileage. I'd love to see 18-20 out of this thing. Do I stick with the 2-v or go with a 4-v? I have a stock iron '84 360 4-v manifold at my disposal.

Now on my heads, is it worth it to throw on a set of "302" heads on an otherwise stock 318? Will I see any gains over my open chambers?

I want this thing to have some get up and go but do decent enough for me to be able to afford to drive it daily. Opinions?
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 06:06 AM

Some of the throttle body fuel injection setups have dropped in price, and may be an option?
Free flowing exhaust systems usually helps too.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 06:10 AM

You have a leaking carb and ask about MPG? Engine not tuned?

Rebuild the damn thing and tune the engine. Then see if you should spend any more money on stuff.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 01:56 PM

Quote:

You have a leaking carb and ask about MPG? Engine not tuned?

Rebuild the damn thing and tune the engine. Then see if you should spend any more money on stuff.

Agreed!!
Posted By: gch

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 04:39 PM

Once your sort out the obvious issues I would switch to a spreadbore 4bbl.A quadrajet or thermoquad will do wonders for your mileage as lond as you keep your foot out of it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 05:07 PM

Quote:

I have a stock iron '84 360 4-v manifold at my disposal.
Now on my heads, is it worth it to throw on a set of "302" heads on an otherwise stock 318? Will I see any gains over my open chambers?
I want this thing to have some get up and go but do decent enough for me to be able to afford to drive it daily. Opinions?

Viewing the eng as an air pump you want to attack the most restricted area 1st which is usually the ex esp as the 318 logs are worthless. I'd use that spreadbore intake (it's actually pretty good) & purchase a Demonsizzler prepped thermoquad & tweak your dist starting w setting the initial/slot length/springs/vac adv (needed) IN ORDER PS yes the 302 heads will help you & been some good info on upping the valve size (iirc from 1.78 to 1.88 plus some bowl hogging (dont remem the angle) & staying w shim gaskets so you dont lose compression which require flat surfaces which you'd have if you did the 302's right but no telling about the block decks for flatmess & w 318 short block rebuilders being cheap I'd actually build one from scratch & get some good pistons & get quench & have a spot on eng from the ground up. W few cubes/alot of weight you need torque which means matched systems & parts/compression/quench so a higher compression will run on pump gas
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 05:24 PM

CHECK and see if the intake exh-heat-crossover is plugged. VEY commom situation and it will kill MPG big-time.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 08:18 PM

Quote:

CHECK and see if the intake exh-heat-crossover is plugged. VEY commom situation and it will kill MPG big-time.

You know Doc I wonder if that is the prob w my ('83) 318 in a 65 dart (eddy 1406 w streetmaster intake). Mileage is terrible to say the least. I know the 64-66 273 ex manifolds plus a single ex is very restricted
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Best combo for mileage? - 10/30/10 08:38 PM

RR ..... just saw my spelling on VERY ... it is ruff typing with one handed .... my left hand got nailed by a circular saw.

Those SB intakes are FAMOUS for plugging up. I had a van that was so bad it even plugged-up into the head AND it killed MPG ...I will try posting a pic ...

Attached picture 6276086-pluggedINTAKE.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums