Moparts

How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition?

Posted By: Ramrod39

How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 03:10 AM

Firing a new engine, my first with MSD. I like to hook my old school mechanics tach up when I do this. Is it still just power leads and negative side of the coil sith an MSD?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 03:13 AM

MSD box has a Tach output terminal.. The tach won't read the Multi Spark output to the coil
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 03:16 AM

Not if you want to keep that tach. There is a dedicated terminal on the side of the MSD box to drive the tach pulse. The coil pulse on an MSD is about 440volts and will fry a tach. And not all tachs will work with an MSD, especially older ones. There is usually a compatibility sheet in the manual.

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 03:38 AM

Great. Cleverly, I lost the manual. Wish I had some way to watch the RPM at start up.....
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 03:57 AM

you know, you can get a timing light with a built in tach, right? it will count the sparks, and display the number for you......
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 04:12 AM

Msd make an adapter that plugs into the tach port so you can use the older tachs
Posted By: Paul_B

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 04:16 AM

As previously mentioned, the MSD will have a tach output. I had to add the msd tach adapter for my tach to work.
Posted By: wingman

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 04:30 AM

Quote:

Great. Cleverly, I lost the manual. Wish I had some way to watch the RPM at start up.....

Manuals are all available online on their web site...

Re: How do you hook a Tach to MSD ignition? - 10/29/10 06:09 PM

Quote:

you know, you can get a timing light with a built in tach, right? it will count the sparks, and display the number for you......

Will that work with an MSD? Aren't there multiple sparks sent down the plug wire?
© 2024 Moparts Forums