Moparts

POR 15 on an engine block

Posted By: VITC_GTX

POR 15 on an engine block - 10/28/10 03:34 AM

Haven't been on Moparts for months. Little burned out on cars for a while.

Anyway, I have a complete engine with surface rust on the block. I was going to wire brush it and then paint it with a rattle can. Was thinking of putting POR 15 on the surface rust and then painting over it. Will this work?
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/28/10 03:53 AM

Hi I have painted two engines with por -15 products .
IF you you use their por 15 engine enamel it will come out great .
I caution using spray paint over the por-15 because it may peal off because por-15 has only a small window to top coat the por needs to be tacky to almost dry . This means it has to be top coated in 4-5 hours to get the best adhesion . you can look all this stuff up on the por 15 web site technical info . hope this helps . p.s. get the clear coat from por if you use their engine enamel or it will discolor if you ever spill anti freeze or fuel on the intake . cj
Posted By: Neil

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/28/10 03:56 AM

I have no idea if the POR stuff can handle the engine heat. If it can then it's probably no big deal.

Personally I'd just wire brush it until it's clean and then apply the color.
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/28/10 04:02 AM

heat is no problem
Posted By: Silver70

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/28/10 07:32 PM

I use Magnet Paints chassis saver and with scuffing paint sticks great even after it dries or you can top coat it within an hour, but never tried it. My experiences with por-15 have been poor at best.
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/28/10 08:25 PM

It wasnt a block, but I coated a set of stock steel valve covers with regular POR-15, and spray bombed Hemi Orange over that. It has lasted 10+ years.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/29/10 02:02 AM

Quote:

My experiences with por-15 have been poor at best.

Throw the POR-15 in the trash and use a good epoxy primer after you gett all the rust off.

I thought everyone knew how Sh#&^$ POR-15 was by now....
Posted By: chache876

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/29/10 02:11 AM

just make sure you prep everything properly like the instructions say and you'll be fine. its very time consuming but I've had good results. I used their engine kit on my 360 in the beginning of summer and it seems to be holding up well so far.
Posted By: closer9

Re: POR 15 on an engine block - 10/29/10 04:07 AM

I did a block and heads about 10 years ago. Just left it the POR-15 black. It held up great with the heat, and since it wasn't exposed to sunlight, I didn't have to worry about a topcoat... I've used POR-15 on several things, and never had any problems with it...

I used their complete engine kit per the instructions when I built my recent 318...
© 2024 Moparts Forums