Moparts

Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing

Posted By: Commando1

Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/26/10 10:24 PM

On my 440 steel crank, I'm trying to decide on installing the bushing or the bearing in front of my A833. I've googled and searched the archives but I get conflicting pros & cons.
It's a street machine that will rarely, if ever, see track duty.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/26/10 10:55 PM

I like the bronze one that presses into the converter register.There is a Mopar part number in the archives.The roller unit may provide less friction but that is just one more moving part on the engine.Think of it this way,If you don't get the tranny PERFECTLY lined up you risk damaging those small rollers in a plastic cage VS a solid bushing that is far more forgiving
Gus

Attached picture 6270161-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/26/10 11:30 PM

We've run the roller in my son's Barracuda. No problems with it, but I recall that there is a little less room to get it all together because you have to have everything straight sooner (but that would hold true for either the bearing or bushing).
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/26/10 11:57 PM

Look at it like this. The only time the roller is rolling is when you shift. 99.9999% of the time the roller does nothing but it is one more part to go bad so I think the bushing is better.

Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 12:16 AM

Quote:

Look at it like this. The only time the roller is rolling is when you shift. 99.9999% of the time the roller does nothing but it is one more part to go bad so I think the bushing is better.

Isn't the bronze bushing yet another part which can go bad, too?

For a street car with normal tolerances, I say it doesn't matter which you use, bearing or bushing, so take your pick.

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 01:42 AM

Quote:

I like the bronze one that presses into the converter register.There is a Mopar part number in the archives.

Would that bushing be 53009180AB? If it is,
I'm leaning toward that one.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 03:22 PM

take the time and indicate the bellhousing to within .007 or better.
Doing that with eliminate any concerns of wear with either component.
Plus all the other benefits but thats another topic.

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 03:38 PM

Quote:

You know, if you think about it, if I do ALL things I'm supposed to do, Both would be 100% fine with me.

Good advice...
Posted By: marklock

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 08:09 PM

I use a roller bearing in my Dart that is summer driven only a few thousand miles a year, no problems going on 6 years now.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 08:37 PM

The factory used the bushing for years. I suspect the only reason for using the bearing was to save on labor costs of drilling the cranks as well as having specific cranks for 4-gear applications. My vote goes with the non-moving part - the bushing.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 10:35 PM

Quote:

The factory used the bushing for years. I suspect the only reason for using the bearing was to save on labor costs of drilling the cranks as well as having specific cranks for 4-gear applications. My vote goes with the non-moving part - the bushing.

They used the bearings for years too......think Dakotas,etc. That's the bearing that's in my BB. With that said ....either will work fine,pick one that fits your app.(crank register,etc)and put it together. Mine's been together for many years with the bearing...no problems.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/27/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You know, if you think about it, if I do ALL things I'm supposed to do, Both would be 100% fine with me.

Good advice...

I have a very nice indicator stand designed and built by Moparts members that bolts to a six bolt flange if you want to use it.
PM me your address and I will send it to you to setup your bellhousing.
Gus

Attached picture 6271751-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Pilot bushing vs. pilot roller bearing - 10/28/10 12:20 AM

either will work fine almost every car built for the last 15-20 years with a stick comes with a roller bearing on the pilot and it's not uncommon to see them go 100k plus.
© 2024 Moparts Forums