Moparts

MSD box wiring question

Posted By: johnv

MSD box wiring question - 10/21/10 03:26 PM

My MSD (6AL) instructions say "Do not connect the heavy red wire directly to the alternator". It says to connect it directly to the + terminal of the battery or a positive battery junction such as the starter solenoid.

So I thought I would connect it to the + on the starter relay - however, this terminal is also wired pretty much straight to the "bat" terminal on the alternator. So, what's the difference? Should I connect it somewhere else?

Also regarding the neg ground wire - I was planning on connecting it to the radiator core support for a chassis ground, this does kind of go against the MSD instructions saying either the engine or the - side of the battery. Would this be a problem?

Thanks in advance

JOhn
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: MSD box wiring question - 10/21/10 04:17 PM

i believe they say the + side of the bat because the alt could have voltage fluctuations. i have mine to the starter relay and never had a problem. any ground would work as log as it's a 'solid' ground.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: MSD box wiring question - 10/21/10 09:10 PM

Best place to hook the large red wire is at the end of the positive cable where it hooks to the starter. Hook the large black wire to the end of the negative cable where it attaches to the block/head.
© 2024 Moparts Forums