Moparts

Vinyl Paint: To Use or Not to Use

Posted By: 440charger70

Vinyl Paint: To Use or Not to Use - 10/19/10 10:54 PM

I am about to start the interior restoration process. My car has a solid interior with perfect seat covers and all the plastic is in fine condition. Only problem is that it is green and I am wanting a black interior.

I am strongly considering painting the entire interior instead of replacing all the seat covers, headliner, door panels, all plastic interior panels, etc...

Is this a bad idea or the way to go. I am most concerned with the front seats as these will be the most obvious parts and will have the most wear.

Can anyone recommend a good product to use?
Posted By: Paul_B

Re: Vinyl Paint: To Use or Not to Use - 10/19/10 11:32 PM

I've used a vinyl dye (SEM) to change the color of door panels, sun visors, and arm rests with great success. The most difficult step is ensuring you have a very clean/oil free surfact prior to application.
Posted By: enelson

Re: Vinyl Paint: To Use or Not to Use - 10/20/10 12:55 AM

SEM makes a cleaner for this as well... I have everything for mine when the time comes out in the garage...

edit: specifically for your car I'd probably just use the paint everywhere even back seat but get some front covers...

I don't think I've ever had anyone sit in the back of my dart (I'm too old and have my own house now for that..)
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Vinyl Paint: To Use or Not to Use - 10/20/10 01:01 AM

"Vinyl Dye"-- bit of an oxymoron. Its not really a dye, just a paint made for vinyl. Since it does not penetrate the surface, it lays on top...just like....oh yea--paint.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Vinyl Paint: To Use or Not to Use - 10/20/10 01:08 AM

Quote:

"Vinyl Dye"-- bit of an oxymoron. Its not really a dye, just a paint made for vinyl. Since it does not penetrate the surface, it lays on top...just like....oh yea--paint.

Exactly. SEM is a paint, not a dye. Not like fabric dye or something like that. IMO, just leave your green interior and live with it. I would not use SEM on seats. It's okay on stuff like door panels that don't see any abuse but I would not want it on my seats.
Posted By: JR 540

Re: Vinyl Paint: To Use or Not to Use - 10/20/10 01:17 AM

I used it on a green front bench seat 5 yrs ago no peeling, flanking or other issues. I cleaned the seat many times with pre-kleeno before spraying it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums