Moparts

73 road runner with full vinyl top?

Posted By: Anonymous

73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/17/08 03:10 PM

hey guys i need to know if some 73/4 road runner came with full vinyl tops? i wasnst sure if it was a real road runner so i had checked the dash vin and radiator support vin as well and they match up. the fender tag had been lost while being painted some years back.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/17/08 03:25 PM

I think I heard it was a possible option, but very rare. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
Posted By: D_C

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/17/08 03:41 PM

Agree, I think I've seen it as an option too, but I don't recall seeing an actual car.

Could you post a photo of your car?

Definitely, the 1968-1970 Road Runners, there were full-vinyl-roof cars (you can see them doing an internet Image search,) but 1971-1974, I'm not seeing any yet.

Doesn't mean yours isn't real, it could well be.

Have you looked underneath seats, etc, for a Build-Sheet? My '71 Charger still had its Build-Sheet under the rear seat, but I pulled it and misplaced it sometime during the 1980's or early 1990's.

Since I'm a pack-rat (to some degree) I probably kept it, but not sure where... I should have returned it to the car.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:04 AM

i wish i did but no i dont have the build sheet, but i have checked the vin #s on the dash, door jambs, engine, tranny, and raditor support and they all match up i even heard theres a vin # somewhere under the speaker tray. i wish the last owner hadnt lost the fender tag:( i have never seen a full vinyl top road runner before, im hoping this isnt a well done transplant clone.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:11 AM

I've seen photos of '68-'70 Road Runners with Full Tops, but not '71-'74, yet they may (including yours) exist.

Are there any RR Specific websites the way there is a SuperBee website? There must be. Would think they would know. Of course, Galen Govier likely knows for sure, but he costs $$$.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:22 AM

[image]http://[/image]

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:24 AM

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:25 AM

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:27 AM

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:30 AM

well.
i must say i never seen that style vinyl top on any Chrysler product.
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:35 AM

Nice it should have the rr emblems on the quarters right below the top.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:38 AM

not even on a satellite?

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:41 AM

now ive been told that they were a few road runners with a stripe delete w/ full vinyl tops. but how true is that? haha ive never seen one. not unless the owner had it installed.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:42 AM

Quote:

not even on a satellite?

had one, the vinyl went right up to and under the drip rails, and was much closer to the rear of the 1/4 glass.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

not even on a satellite?

had one, the vinyl went right up to and under the drip rails, and was much closer to the rear of the 1/4 glass.

My parts car, a 73 satellite sebring plus had the exact same kind of vinyl roof, where the ends of the vinyl were not at the drip rails. Kinda funky and a lot going on. I didn't care for it.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:47 AM

That is considered a full vinyl top on your car isnt it. There was a red with white top locally a few years back. There is a half top also.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:47 AM

really? wow thats weird.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:48 AM

well anywhoo im not to worried about the vinyl top really, my main concern was that the fender tag had been lost by the last owner and i wanted to make sure that i didnt have a clone on my hands.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:50 AM

is the first 2 digits on the VIN "RM"?

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:53 AM

Cheap looking 73 74 rrs are cool. There was a 73 rr gtx on ebay months back yellow with a black top like yours.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:54 AM

My satelite sebring had the same top.

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:56 AM

Quote:

vinyl right to and under the drip rails?

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:58 AM

yeah my vin # is RM21H3G264083

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 04:02 AM

HELL YEAH ON THE CHEAP LOOKING 73/4 R.R.! LOL! I SAW MY FIRST ONE IN THE MOVIE THE BOYS NEXT DOOR. I WAS 10 YEARS OLD WHEN I SAW THAT MOVIE AND THOUGHT THAT WAS THE BADDEST CAR IVE HAD EVER SEEN. LOL!
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 04:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

vinyl right to and under the drip rails?

You know now that I look at it. If I remember right in the area of the drip rails I think mine went all the way to the rails. I was looking at the cropped look of the pillar area. That area always looked weird to me

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 04:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3InzdEz77s&feature=related

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 04:25 AM

She was getting the air grabber effect

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 04:33 AM

HEY! don't mess with the car @#$%! lol!

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 04:53 AM

well thanks guys for all yalls input, im new to the site and im glad to be apart of it now.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 05:18 AM

Quote:

I have two 73 Satellite Sebrings with this top.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 09:35 AM

Not my cup -o- tea -- that looks really weird...kinda "unfinished".
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 01:06 PM

Quote:

Thats the top that was on your SSP.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats the top that was on your SSP.

Yep -- and thank GOD it's not there any more...

Posted By: screamindriver

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 02:48 PM

After 72 there were a bunch of different combos...My 73 RR has the sunroof and never had the vinyl top like earlier models.... Here's what appears to be a satellite that was converted with some goodies...Looks like they wanted to have a stripe even with the vinyl top..

Attached picture 4366737-000630-200708-000187_2big.jpg

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 03:22 PM

im kinda of confused on wheather or not to keep the top on..think ill just remove it and add the stripe. im guessing that the top would need to be repainted after removing the vinyl top?

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 04:51 PM

Yes, unless the vinyl-top was added after leaving the factory, there's no paint under there....

Under the vinyl, it's usually just primer, overspray or a combination; Sometimes worse,... surface rust.

My '71 Charger SE originally "had" the partial vinyl top (that ends at the drip-rails.)
Posted By: BossRide

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/18/08 06:47 PM

My SSP has the full top... I simply painted it white... after I get my wheels and RR hood, I'm doing a white hood stripe with 360 call outs and the trunk stripes. I like it on my car....

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/19/08 08:49 PM

I took mine off and it's gonna stay off. I found this under the vinyl top.

Most of the full vinyl on the 73/74 Plymouth Satellite line has created rust problems on the pillars. . .

The top has been sanded down, mounting posts for the trim are ground down, and the vinyl ain't goin' back on. ..

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/19/08 09:05 PM

Removing your old vinyl top isn't that difficult, it's the sanding, priming, and body glazing that's gonna take some time.

then there's the rust problems almost always associated with a vinyl top, especially on the drip rails. See the pic I posted above.

I found that Plymouth didn't finish the tops of the cars very well and the vinyls hid a lot of imperfections. I've sanded mine down,sometimes to bare metal. You'll also have to grind down the trim mount studs and fill a few small holes. Nothing to difficult. Time consuming, yes.

The pillars could have some bondo from the factory on it as well that will need to be sanded down flush. Use your fingers and feel rather than eyeball.

I'm doing mine up right. I want people to look at it and not tell there was ever a vinyl roof on it at all.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/19/08 09:18 PM

Those vinyl tops on 73 chargers are called Halo Tops. It probably is the same for Plymouth. Mike
Posted By: Runnin74

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/20/08 03:11 PM

According to my 74 Color and Trim selector book full vinyl roofs were available on the Road Runner.
It specifically says...
Roof and Body Side Stripes-Standard and available on Road Runner only. Available in Black, White, or Red (V8 Codes). Red stripe must be coded on order form. (Not available with Full Vinyl Roof V1 Codes.)
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 04/20/08 08:40 PM

Quote:

Those vinyl tops on 73 chargers are called Halo Tops. It probably is the same for Plymouth. Mike

Same for the 75-79 B bodies. They were called "Halo" roofs. I don't have a picture of one right now. I liked it better that the much more popular Landau style
Posted By: torredcuda

Re: 73 road runner with full vinyl top? - 06/30/08 11:35 PM

I owned one years ago,was green on green,bench seat,stripe delete,full vinyl top,not sure if I saved a copy of the fender tag codes.I wasn`t sure it was a road runner at first but the vin number checked out to the fender tag and body numbers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums